The Student Room Group

German student needs some advice on universities

Hey!
I am a student from Germany and I am planning on applying for the academic year starting in 2010 in the UK. I want to apply for a Psychology Bachelor Degree and already started getting in touch with some universities. My qualifications are about AAB-ABB and a few universities told me that they would suite their entry requirements.

My problem is that I am obviously not staying in the UK, plus I am going to volunteer in South Africa this year, so I will not have the opportunity to look at the universities. I ordered all the brochures but I it is obvious that they are all representing themselves as the best university in the country, therefore I wanted to ask you about your experiences with some of them.
I got quite a few universites on my list that told me that my qualifications are acceptable:
St. Andrews, Surrey, Glasgow, Bangor, Loughborough, City University London, Birmingham, Reading, Sussex, Nottingham, Essex, Royal Holloway
Can you give me some opinions on these universities?
Like about the teaching quality, student life, environment and so on.

I am still waiting for York, Lancaster and Southhampton to reply, but I am quite sure that my qualifications are too bad.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
SomebodyFromGermany
Hey!
I am a student from Germany and I am planning on applying for the academic year starting in 2010 in the UK. I want to apply for a Psychology Bachelor Degree and already started getting in touch with some universities. My qualifications are about AAB-ABB and a few universities told me that they would suite their entry requirements.

My problem is that I am obviously not staying in the UK, plus I am going to volunteer in South Africa this year, so I will not have the opportunity to look at the universities. I ordered all the brochures but I it is obvious that they are all representing themselves as the best university in the country, therefore I wanted to ask you about your experiences with some of them.
I got quite a few universites on my list that told me that my qualifications are acceptable:
St. Andrews, Surrey, Glasgow, Bangor, Loughborough, City University London, Birmingham, Reading, Sussex, Nottingham, Essex, Royal Holloway
Can you give me some opinions on these universities?
Like about the teaching quality, student life, environment and so on.

I am still waiting for York, Lancaster and Southhampton to reply, but I am quite sure that my qualifications are too bad.

Thanks a lot!

Ok, bear in mind that I haven't attended any of these universities (and obviously no-one will have attended more than one or two) but this is what I've gathered from my own research into unis and what I've heard from here. Also, I haven't visited any unis but York yet and that was when the place was practically deserted. I'm going to Nottingham tomorrow though and will also be visiting Bangor and York from that list so I'll update after that.

Ok so St Andrews has a very good reputation and high research rating etc but is (apparently) very remote and quiet which put me off applying. Oh it also has a lot of rich English people for a Scottish university (again, just what I've heard).

Glasgow is a big city, lots for students to do etc and good psychology reputation but I haven't personally particularly looked into going there.

Bangor is in Snowdonia in Wales which is (in my opinion) an amazing area. It's close to the coast and mountains and such so is good if you enjoy the great outdoors. Bangor itself isn't very big so if you want to live in a big lively city with lots of clubs, it probably isn't for you. The uni doesn't have a great overall reputation but seems to put a lot into psychology and has a very high research rating for the subject. A very large proportion of their students do psychology. I'm applying there.

I particularly love the sound of some of Sussex's courses namely psychology with cognitive science and human sciences. The uni is in (or perhaps near) Brighton which is a seaside town with a reputation as being basically the gay capital of the UK. For some reason, I've got quite a negative impression of the uni itself on here but that probably doesn't mean anything.

York is a lovely city with gorgeous old buildings though the nightlife isn't the best. It's a quick train journey away from Leeds though which is full of clubs. The uni is just outside the centre and consists of ugly concrete blocks. However, these are set in a sort of park with lots of greenery everywhere and a peace garden and duck pond and such. The website claims there's an opportunity to do paid research work but when I looked, it was mainly unpaid. Still, that could be good. There are a couple of users on here who've done/are doing Psychology at York and they seem to have really enjoyed it.

Royal Holloway has a particularly scientific focus. Birmingham is a city with a reputation for being quite rough and run down, yet having been there, it's actually a very nice place. The uni has a good rep too but I don't know much more. I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham but don't have much to say about it. Nothing has really stood out about it. I'll probably have more to say tomorrow.

I don't have anything to say about the rest. I'm sure people who actually attend these unis will be able to give you more accurate and detailed information but it's a start.
Thanks a lot Meliae, your opinions helped a lot!
I also figured that St. Andrews must be a quiet place and it is soooo in the middle of nowhere - on the other hand I am thinking whether I should not give it a shot since it has such a good reputation.

How come you got such a bad impression on the University of Sussex tho? What are you not liking? I obviously never went there but actually liked the idea of being near the coast plus the University has a nice offer of Psychology programs and social activities and stuff.
At the moment I am quite impressed by the University of Glasgow, but with either Glasgow (and any other scottish universities) and Bangor (which I also liked), I am not sure whether I can cope with that dialect spoken there. But I'll probably get into it.

Can you give me some closer information about Sussex, Birmingham and after your visit Nottingham? I don't know, like a pro and contra list?

Anyway, I am already very grateful for your help!
Hope you have a nice day!
Reply 3
SomebodyFromGermany
Thanks a lot Meliae, your opinions helped a lot!
I also figured that St. Andrews must be a quiet place and it is soooo in the middle of nowhere - on the other hand I am thinking whether I should not give it a shot since it has such a good reputation.

How come you got such a bad impression on the University of Sussex tho? What are you not liking? I obviously never went there but actually liked the idea of being near the coast plus the University has a nice offer of Psychology programs and social activities and stuff.
At the moment I am quite impressed by the University of Glasgow, but with either Glasgow (and any other scottish universities) and Bangor (which I also liked), I am not sure whether I can cope with that dialect spoken there. But I'll probably get into it.

Can you give me some closer information about Sussex, Birmingham and after your visit Nottingham? I don't know, like a pro and contra list?

Anyway, I am already very grateful for your help!
Hope you have a nice day!

Hi again, I've just got back from Nottingham open day. I think I've got a bad impression of Sussex from posts on here by students there but I really can't say exactly why. According to the prospectus, it's been voted the Best Place to be in England for 3 years running (although every uni tries to make similar claims - so many seem to claim to have the most student societies or the biggest psychology department or whatever). Don't take any notice of my impression of it as it's probably false. I can't really tell you anything more about Birmingham or Sussex other than what's in the prospectus/on the website which you can see for yourself.

What you should do is look on this website and go to the individual forums for each university you want to know about and read some posts there or ask your questions there. That way they're more likely to be seen and answered by students at those universities. Also, if you look in this psychology forum, there are lots of threads asking for pros and cons of various unis/psych departments with responses from students at those places and other people who know more about them than I do.

So Nottingham... It's a campus uni, just outside the city, although apparently it's only about 10mins away on the bus and taxis are also cheap. There are a lot of clubs (and student nights every night of the week) and shops in the city so that should be fine. The campus itself is very nice - lots of trees and such and a manmade lake. There were some really beautiful colourful bits with lots of flowers and rocks which made the surroundings look nicer than York which also had a lot of greenery. It seemed quite overwhelmingly big and difficult to navigate, though I don't have much to compare it to besides York. The accomodation that I saw (I looked at 3 different halls) was quite offputting. I didn't expect much but it was still disappointing although it could have been worse. However, again, I don't know how much better/worse it is at other unis.

The actual psychology department seemed good. They've got lots of research equipment and such and I like the course better now than I did when reading about it online and in the prospectus. I also liked the study abroad opportunities and the option of an internship between 2nd and 3rd year. I also looked at the Languages Self Access Centre for studying languages alongside your degree in your spare time. That was good and I'd like to use that.

All in all, it was a nice place. I didn't think 'I love this place, I definitely want to spend 3 years here' as many of my friends have said after visiting other unis. However, I can easily imagine other people thinking that about Nottingham. I just didn't personally feel a connection with it or see myself there. I think I would be happy there though. I've decided to apply there. I was choosing between there, Sussex and UCL for my 5th option. Notts is an ideal distance and there were many little details I particularly liked about the place. Sussex is a bit further than I'd like to go and although UCL looks fantastic, the cost of living in London and having a bigger loan to pay back puts me off.
Thanks a lot!
Maybe I missed it, but what universities are you appyling to now?
Reply 5
SomebodyFromGermany
Thanks a lot!
Maybe I missed it, but what universities are you appyling to now?

Oxford, York, Bristol, Bangor and Nottingham. I didn't go to Bristol's open day as it was too far to go in one day, though I might visit in the holidays. I'm going to the other 3 in the next two weeks.
What are your A-levels?
Can I ask a question... how does it work after I applied? I thought I just tell UCAS 5 universities I want to go to in my application and then I am waiting for an offer from one of them or not. What happens if, let's say, 3 of them offer me a place to study? And when I am reading forum entries I sometimes see people talking about "insurance choices" or so - what does that mean?

I asked Oxford whether they would accept me with my qualifications since they accept people taking the Abitur and receiving an average pf 1.0-1.5 (I got 1.6), but they said my qualifications are too bad.
Reply 7
SomebodyFromGermany
What are your A-levels?
Can I ask a question... how does it work after I applied? I thought I just tell UCAS 5 universities I want to go to in my application and then I am waiting for an offer from one of them or not. What happens if, let's say, 3 of them offer me a place to study? And when I am reading forum entries I sometimes see people talking about "insurance choices" or so - what does that mean?

I asked Oxford whether they would accept me with my qualifications since they accept people taking the Abitur and receiving an average pf 1.0-1.5 (I got 1.6), but they said my qualifications are too bad.

I'm taking Biology, Psychology, Chemistry and English Lit at A level. I took maths with statistics AS level and I might do a philosophy AS next year too.

Right, first you need to register with UCAS and fill in all the application stuff which includes writing a personal statement (which you can find lots of help with on here) and getting a reference from your school. Everything is explained on the UCAS website but I'll give you a brief overview.

Basically, you decide on the unis and send off your application. They will then make you an offer (e.g. AAB at A level and they may specify subjects they want the As in) or reject you. From the sounds of it, you've already finished school, have your results and are taking a gap year. In that case, your offers will be unconditional (or they might be conditional on proving your proficiency in English by getting a toefl certificate and getting a certain score, I don't know).

Anyway, when you have your offers, if you have more than 1, you choose a firm and insurance. Your firm choice is the uni you will be going to if you get the grades that uni is asking for. If not, you go to your insurance choice. If you miss the grades for your insurance, you enter clearing on results day and can try to find a place at another uni with spare places. However, if your offers are unconditional, that won't apply to you. There will be no possibility of missing your offer so you won't need an insurance choice and will only have to choose a firm.

If you get rejected from all your choices, you can use UCAS extra which is a bit like clearing but happens before results day. Similarly, if you don't want to accept any of the offers you have, you can decline them all and use Extra to find a place elsewhere.
Reply 8
Meliae
Oxford, York, Bristol, Bangor and Nottingham. I didn't go to Bristol's open day as it was too far to go in one day, though I might visit in the holidays. I'm going to the other 3 in the next two weeks.

Off topic slightly, but re your choices... obviously you'll visit them all in time but I hated York when I looked round, despite being quite keen on it from afar. And as far as I'm concerned Bangor isn't really a reputable enough university that someone aiming for Oxford should even be applying for. My advice is to set your sights high - it worked for me, and chemistry (are you doing chemistry?) is a lot less competitive than politics, my course. For instance, I have a friend who applied to Oxford, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and Bath and got offers from all of them.
Reply 9
serrellen
Off topic slightly, but re your choices... obviously you'll visit them all in time but I hated York when I looked round, despite being quite keen on it from afar. And as far as I'm concerned Bangor isn't really a reputable enough university that someone aiming for Oxford should even be applying for. My advice is to set your sights high - it worked for me, and chemistry (are you doing chemistry?) is a lot less competitive than politics, my course. For instance, I have a friend who applied to Oxford, Bristol, Durham, Nottingham and Bath and got offers from all of them.

York is the first uni I looked around, but it was Easter at the time and the place was deserted. I love the city though it's a bit close to home. I'm going to the open day on the 8th July anyway so I'll see.

I'm not applying for chemistry and I'm not quite sure where you got that from given that this is in the psychology forum. (Unsurprisingly, I'm applying for psychology). How did you come across this thread? :s-smilie:

I see your point about Bangor. However, Bangor has a 5*A rating for psychology research (along with 6 other unis, including Oxford and Cambridge) and an absolutely massive department which it seems to put a lot into. I went to the area on holiday last summer and fell in love with it despite expecting to hate it. I love all the streams and woods and such. I wouldn't mind working there some day. (I want to go into psychology/neuroscience research). Again, I'll be visiting it soon and I'll see but I'm happy with my choices. Also, I feel more comfortable having an 'insurance' choice as I've known people with outstanding academics and everything else who've received 4/5 rejections.

I'm happy with my choices and chose them very carefully after considering a wide range of options. However, thanks for your concern and I'm curious to know what you'd recommend instead? Many of the universities with excellent overall reputations don't have particularly good psychology departments, Durham for instance. Bath has a good rep for psychology and a compulsary placement year which I wouldn't mind (either way), but the website says the focus is very much on health and social psychology, two of the areas I'm least interested in.
Meliae
York is the first uni I looked around, but it was Easter at the time and the place was deserted. I love the city though it's a bit close to home. I'm going to the open day on the 8th July anyway so I'll see.

I'm not applying for chemistry and I'm not quite sure where you got that from given that this is in the psychology forum. (Unsurprisingly, I'm applying for psychology). How did you come across this thread? :s-smilie:

I see your point about Bangor. However, Bangor has a 5*A rating for psychology research (along with 6 other unis, including Oxford and Cambridge) and an absolutely massive department which it seems to put a lot into. I went to the area on holiday last summer and fell in love with it despite expecting to hate it. I love all the streams and woods and such. I wouldn't mind working there some day. (I want to go into psychology/neuroscience research). Again, I'll be visiting it soon and I'll see but I'm happy with my choices. Also, I feel more comfortable having an 'insurance' choice as I've known people with outstanding academics and everything else who've received 4/5 rejections.

I'm happy with my choices and chose them very carefully after considering a wide range of options. However, thanks for your concern and I'm curious to know what you'd recommend instead? Many of the universities with excellent overall reputations don't have particularly good psychology departments, Durham for instance. Bath has a good rep for psychology and a compulsary placement year which I wouldn't mind (either way), but the website says the focus is very much on health and social psychology, two of the areas I'm least interested in.

Of course, I am not at all doubting you have researched your choices carefully. It took forever for me to narrow down mine, I remember. My attitude towards universities was I think that I wanted to go to the best university I could, and I was and remain sure that I would have a good time wherever I went and whatever the course content, so long as I could understand it! I'm actually doing some psychology at Cambridge next year probably, although I know next to nothing about it and it is social psychology so rather different to your remit, I should think. Good luck, anyhow. I'm sure you'll do well.

Oh - and I think I assumed you were doing chemistry from reading a rather well-informed post you made somewhere else on the site... I don't know, really!
Reply 11
serrellen
Of course, I am not at all doubting you have researched your choices carefully. It took forever for me to narrow down mine, I remember. My attitude towards universities was I think that I wanted to go to the best university I could, and I was and remain sure that I would have a good time wherever I went and whatever the course content, so long as I could understand it! I'm actually doing some psychology at Cambridge next year probably, although I know next to nothing about it and it is social psychology so rather different to your remit, I should think. Good luck, anyhow. I'm sure you'll do well.

Oh - and I think I assumed you were doing chemistry from reading a rather well-informed post you made somewhere else on the site... I don't know, really!

I know I take forever to make decisions so I did most of my research into unis at the beginning of y12 and narrowed it down to the choices mentioned above a long time ago (choosing between Nottingham, UCL and Sussex for the 5th). I did consider swapping Bangor for Sussex or possibly UCL and may do that if I dislike it at the open day. I love Sussex's course but not so much the uni. I tend to get a lot of criticism for my choices so I'm pretty used to defending them (mainly for subject though which I'm constantly told is a 'waster subject' rather than universities except Bangor to some extent).

For unis, I was/am looking at surrounding area (rejected St Andrews on this basis), course content (adore Bristol's 3rd year module options), reputation for psychology (not so much general rep), opportunity to study languages, research quality and opportunity to get involved in research, opportunity to study modules from other departments and added extras. When I'm choosing my firm and insurance next year, I'll be looking more at accomodation and costs too. I'm hoping for Oxford to be my firm, unsure on the insurance.

As for that other post, I tend to absorb almost everything I read and spend far too much time on here so I know quite a lot about admissions even for subjects I have no interest in. I think the post you're talking about was basically just the criteria pasted from the Oxford Chem department website though with a little comment.

What course are you doing? PPS? I do like social psychology and it was my favourite topic in AS I think, but I wouldn't want to do research in it.
Lol, I got quite a lot information out of your talk now :biggrin:

I am also spending way too much time on this forum, but I have no idea how to even start choosing a university because we get no support at all in school for that. No German teacher has a clue on how things are working in the UK and my parents haven't either, so I am quite on my own with it - which is why I am asking you such a bunch of questions btw Meliae ;-).

Quite a few people in this forum are always talking about "studying at the best university possible", but what exactly can be defined as such a university? In Germany only Oxford and Cambridge are known as "the best universities in the UK" - ask somebody about, huh, I don't know - UCL - and only a few will know it.
So what exactly are good universities in the UK and does it really matter so much for later work? I figured that it would matter, which is one reason why I want to go to study in the UK, but isn't it more important to be good at what you're doing? For Psychology, I also looked at ratings (TIMES university rating) and asked the first 35 universities whether my qualifications are suitable for their programme and the universities I mentioned above are the ones that told me that they were okay. And quite a few are in the top 20 in the rating so are they good universities now?

I also got another question... I may told you that I wrote an e-mail to Oxford to ask them about my Abitur overall result and they replied that it is too bad. I got an average of 1.6. An overall result of 1.5 would normally considered to be AAB and therefore I got something between AAB-ABB. If I replied, would I have a serious chance to get into Oxford even they told me my results are too bad? In Germany we get a wide spread education and I took my Abitur exams in 5 subject and was taught in 11 subject for 2 years. I got all the good results in relevant subjects such as Biology, Maths and English - which I told Oxford. So now I was wondering whether they sometimes also take students who do not fit their expectations for marks because their are quite a lot people on here that apply to Oxford and not everybody can possibly get an AAA result???
What did your teachers tell you, how much are the universities looking on results? That is also why I was asking you about what my teacher should write into her reference because she never did that before and has no clue how to do that.
Is it important to tell the universities what I did during my spare time? In Germany I was not able to take part in activities at school or social groups because there was not something like that at my school, but I went on exchange to South Africa and I am going to do social work there again this year. Are things like that important to tell while writing the personal statement e.g.?

Those are all my questions for today... Again I really need to thank you Meliae because you are helping me sooo much. You really have no idea how troubled I am about choosing the right universities, organising everything and this stuff... I am keen to study in the UK because I want to get a really good education and I think that my possibilities to pursue in an international career are better afterwards (what do you think about that?)... But still, everything is quite difficult to organise from Germany.
Thank you!
Reply 13
SomebodyFromGermany
Lol, I got quite a lot information out of your talk now :biggrin:

I am also spending way too much time on this forum, but I have no idea how to even start choosing a university because we get no support at all in school for that. No German teacher has a clue on how things are working in the UK and my parents haven't either, so I am quite on my own with it - which is why I am asking you such a bunch of questions btw Meliae ;-).

Quite a few people in this forum are always talking about "studying at the best university possible", but what exactly can be defined as such a university? In Germany only Oxford and Cambridge are known as "the best universities in the UK" - ask somebody about, huh, I don't know - UCL - and only a few will know it.
So what exactly are good universities in the UK and does it really matter so much for later work? I figured that it would matter, which is one reason why I want to go to study in the UK, but isn't it more important to be good at what you're doing? For Psychology, I also looked at ratings (TIMES university rating) and asked the first 35 universities whether my qualifications are suitable for their programme and the universities I mentioned above are the ones that told me that they were okay. And quite a few are in the top 20 in the rating so are they good universities now?

Well, the league tables (the general ones moreso than the subject specific ones) will give you an idea of the best universities. However, what is most important for later work is your degree classification - you should be aiming for a 1st or 2.1 but you don't need to worry about that now.

I also got another question... I may told you that I wrote an e-mail to Oxford to ask them about my Abitur overall result and they replied that it is too bad. I got an average of 1.6. An overall result of 1.5 would normally considered to be AAB and therefore I got something between AAB-ABB. If I replied, would I have a serious chance to get into Oxford even they told me my results are too bad? In Germany we get a wide spread education and I took my Abitur exams in 5 subject and was taught in 11 subject for 2 years. I got all the good results in relevant subjects such as Biology, Maths and English - which I told Oxford. So now I was wondering whether they sometimes also take students who do not fit their expectations for marks because their are quite a lot people on here that apply to Oxford and not everybody can possibly get an AAA result???

Oh no, it's actually the other way around. Oxford expects AAA from everyone (but if you narrowly miss your grades and they have the space, they might let you in anyway if you're very lucky). I was looking at the admission stats earlier today because someone posted them and over 98% of students admitted to Oxford have AAA. Getting or being predicted AAA does not guarantee you a place by a long shot, it's more of a minimum requirement, and plenty of other unis also ask for those grades. As you can see, quite a lot of people get As which is why the A* grade is now being brought in. My year will be the first to use it. Oxford won't be using it in their offers for 2010 entry because no-one knows how many will be awarded or how easy/difficult they will be to get but Cambridge's standard offer will now be A*AA.

What did your teachers tell you, how much are the universities looking on results? That is also why I was asking you about what my teacher should write into her reference because she never did that before and has no clue how to do that.
Is it important to tell the universities what I did during my spare time? In Germany I was not able to take part in activities at school or social groups because there was not something like that at my school, but I went on exchange to South Africa and I am going to do social work there again this year. Are things like that important to tell while writing the personal statement e.g.?

The universities want to know about your results and general academic record, your interest in the subject and what you have done to further that interest, what you're like as a student etc. Grades are a major, but not the only, part. I haven't seen a reference before so you should try the UCAS website or ask in the applications and UCAS section of this website to find people more knowledgable than I.

In your personal statement, you shouldn't write more than a few lines about your extra curricular activities and you should try and relate them to your subject and why you'd be a good student in general (e.g. exchange to South Africa helped you develop your independence, experience an unfamiliar culture etc). As I said before, you can find example personal statements and advice for writing them on here on the forum and in the wiki (click the 'articles' tab at the top of the screen). When you've done your first draft, post it in the personal statement section of the forum and someone will look at it and tell you how you can improve it.

Those are all my questions for today... Again I really need to thank you Meliae because you are helping me sooo much. You really have no idea how troubled I am about choosing the right universities, organising everything and this stuff... I am keen to study in the UK because I want to get a really good education and I think that my possibilities to pursue in an international career are better afterwards (what do you think about that?)... But still, everything is quite difficult to organise from Germany.
Thank you!

No problem. :smile: I don't really know if having a degree from the UK helps get a job internationally moreso than from other places, but I'm sure you can find people on here who'll give their opinions if you make another thread elsewhere.
Meliae
I know I take forever to make decisions so I did most of my research into unis at the beginning of y12 and narrowed it down to the choices mentioned above a long time ago (choosing between Nottingham, UCL and Sussex for the 5th). I did consider swapping Bangor for Sussex or possibly UCL and may do that if I dislike it at the open day. I love Sussex's course but not so much the uni. I tend to get a lot of criticism for my choices so I'm pretty used to defending them (mainly for subject though which I'm constantly told is a 'waster subject' rather than universities except Bangor to some extent).

For unis, I was/am looking at surrounding area (rejected St Andrews on this basis), course content (adore Bristol's 3rd year module options), reputation for psychology (not so much general rep), opportunity to study languages, research quality and opportunity to get involved in research, opportunity to study modules from other departments and added extras. When I'm choosing my firm and insurance next year, I'll be looking more at accomodation and costs too. I'm hoping for Oxford to be my firm, unsure on the insurance.

As for that other post, I tend to absorb almost everything I read and spend far too much time on here so I know quite a lot about admissions even for subjects I have no interest in. I think the post you're talking about was basically just the criteria pasted from the Oxford Chem department website though with a little comment.

What course are you doing? PPS? I do like social psychology and it was my favourite topic in AS I think, but I wouldn't want to do research in it.

Yeah I'm doing PPS. Good luck with Oxford, though don't be too complacent about it or set your heart on it. While you seem very dedicated and intelligent, don't underestimate the proportion of your competitors with identical attiudes.
Meliae
no-one knows how many will be awarded or how easy/difficult they will be to get but Cambridge's standard offer will now be A*AA.

This is one tiny slight flaw in your post :p:

Actually, Cambridge will have a very good idea of how many A*s to expect, since it already asks for module grades at AS. Internally, therefore, it already has its own ideas about what kind of UMS it requires and will have a good idea of how many people are getting 90%+ at AS. They also ask for your module results from the summer after you join the university, so will know what kind of % are getting what is basically an undeclared A* already. Probably the reason Oxford aren't adding an A* to their standard offer is that they don't require modular grades when applying, so obviously mark by mark they worry less than Cambridge.
Reply 16
serrellen
This is one tiny slight flaw in your post :p:

Actually, Cambridge will have a very good idea of how many A*s to expect, since it already asks for module grades at AS. Internally, therefore, it already has its own ideas about what kind of UMS it requires and will have a good idea of how many people are getting 90%+ at AS. They also ask for your module results from the summer after you join the university, so will know what kind of % are getting what is basically an undeclared A* already. Probably the reason Oxford aren't adding an A* to their standard offer is that they don't require modular grades when applying, so obviously mark by mark they worry less than Cambridge.

Ah but to get an A*, you have to get 90%+ at A2. AS is irrelevent as long as you have 80%+ overall. More importantly, the exams have all changed (except I think maths) so we have all new specifications and the A2s are supposed to involve AEA style questions to make A*s harder to get and represent a greater achievement than getting 90%+ before or at AS. Until the specimen papers are released, we don't know what exactly this entails. Even then, if they're anything like the AS specimen papers I've seen, they'll be in no way representative of the real exams.

The government has specifically stated that the A* grade should not be used in offers at least in the first year and Oxford has said that they won't be using them until they've seen what happens this time. They will however be using them in the future most likely.

Edit - Links - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/apr/08/higher-education-oxford-cambridge-uk-news

and from the Oxford website: "The University will not use the A* grade when making offers for 2010 or 2011 entry. A review of this policy will take place in time to advise those applying entry in the 2011/12 admissions cycle, utilising information gained from applicant performance and in the light of developments with other universities who have competitive courses."

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/courses_and_entrance_requirements/index.html
Meliae
Ah but to get an A*, you have to get 90%+ at A2. AS is irrelevent as long as you have 80%+ overall. More importantly, the exams have all changed (except I think maths) so we have all new specifications and the A2s are supposed to involve AEA style questions to make A*s harder to get and represent a greater achievement than getting 90%+ before or at AS. Until the specimen papers are released, we don't know what exactly this entails. Even then, if they're anything like the AS specimen papers I've seen, they'll be in no way representative of the real exams.

The awarding bodies have specifically stated that the A* grade should not be used in offers at least in the first year and Oxford has said that they won't be using them until they've seen what happens this time. They will however be using them in the future most likely.

Perhaps you do need to get out more :wink:
Reply 18
serrellen
Perhaps you do need to get out more :wink:

Meh, if you were in my year and intending to apply to Oxford you'd probably know that too.

Latest