The Student Room Group

Name change & exam certificate...

Weird situation I guess. Just wondering if anyone knows what I should do here... my surname is getting changed over the summer, so I'll be using a new one when I get back to school in August. So the certificate I get with the Higher results from this year will be under a different name than the one on my certificate next year... will that matter when applying to university? I can't remember for sure, but the certificate lists every SQA qualification you've obtained so far, right? So in 6th year, it'll have all my 5th year Highers too, in which case I can just use that (with the new name) anyway? I know how complicated that sounds, sorry. I think in theory I could probably jump into school either tomorrow or Friday and see if they can quickly change my name on their system & alert the SQA, but I dunno if that'll end up being too much hassle or whatever, and in truth I'd rather stay in bed... :/
You should be able to just use the certificate you get next year, yeah (in any case, you only need the actual certificate if the university asks for it when you register at the actual start of your course - the details in the UCAS application are all handled electronically).

You might want to make sure that the school does whatever it needs to make sure that the SQA know that "Pedrobear A" and "Pedrobear B" are the same person, though (so that your 6th year certificate does indeed include your previous results, and not just the ones from that year).

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much - you can pay to request a new certificate from the SQA.
Reply 2
TheUnbeliever
You might want to make sure that the school does whatever it needs to make sure that the SQA know that "Pedrobear A" and "Pedrobear B" are the same person

:rofl:

Thank you, though, I wasn't aware that you could pay for a new one or anything like that. Right, I'll make sure the school sorts that out next year. I really can't imagine them bothering with it now (with 2 days left). Cheers.
Reply 3
Surely your candidate number will be the same so it won't matter what your name is?

Best to contact the SQA though, just to be on the safe side!
Hi Pedrobear
The situation is that even if you change your name your SCN will remain the same. If you are registered for MySqa you will be able to see when your name has been updated and have an online record of your SQA qualifications.

SAM

Latest

Trending

Trending