The Student Room Group

G100 MATHEMATICS. Which London Uni would you prefer to study it in?

Hi,

I'm in year 12 and I've finally decided I'm hopefully going to be applying next year for G100 Mathematics.

I have to stay in London and realistically the best thing I could probably go to would be LSE or IMPERIAL which is HIGHLY unlikely. But the other kinda averageUnis I've been looking at were:

KCL

QMUL

ROYAL HOLLOWAY

LONDON MET :ninja:

My best friend is going to be studying at Hertfordshire Uni and maybe if I beg my parents they might let me... Is it any good?

I've been using this site, if it's any good to any of you...

Top Universities by Subject 2010

Times Online Good University Guide 2010

Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Khodu
I have to stay in London and realistically the best thing I could probably go to would be LSE or IMPERIAL which is HIGHLY unlikely. But the other kinda averageUnis I've been looking at were:

KCL
QMUL
ROYAL HOLLOWAY

It will be good to know your grades or what grades you think you will get.

Certainly, UCL is good you should consider that.

Can you get ABB or AAB?

LSE is crap for straight maths(pure maths) so don't go their unless you want to do economics based. If you want to do something economics based then going for LSE would be best option.

QMUL and KCL pretty good.

Anyway, don't go on league tables as you will end up going to Chester.
Reply 2
Simplicity
It will be good to know your grades or what grades you think you will get.

Certainly, UCL is good you should consider that.

Can you get ABB or AAB?

LSE is crap for straight maths(pure maths) so don't go their unless you want to do economics based. If you want to do something economics based then going for LSE would be best option.

QMUL and KCL pretty good.

Anyway, don't go on league tables as you will end up going to Chester.

I'm hoping to get AAB with AS Further Maths at around a grade B.

Queen Mary only wants a B but KCL wants an A. I heard QMUL has a great Maths department too... They are the ones that are fighting around in my head... Which would I want as a firm and which as insurance, pending on my grades that is.
Khodu
I'm hoping to get AAB with AS Further Maths at around a grade B.

Queen Mary only wants a B but KCL wants an A. I heard QMUL has a great Maths department too... They are the ones that are fighting around in my head... Which would I want as a firm and which as insurance, pending on my grades that is.

Good grades if you can get them. Don't go to LSE.

I don't know why you have to go to just london uni's. Is it your parents that say so? I guess it will save money if you live in london. Anyway, if I was you I would go to Queen Mary instead of KCL. Yeah, the maths department seems really good.
Reply 4
Why can't you leave London?
Reply 5
Simplicity
Good grades if you can get them. Don't go to LSE.

I don't know why you have to go to just london uni's. Is it your parents that say so? I guess it will save money if you live in london. Anyway, if I was you I would go to Queen Mary instead of KCL. Yeah, the maths department seems really good.

Yeah. Atleast you agree with me. All of my class mates are like KCL fans.

AnonyMatt
Why can't you leave London?

I have to look after my family too... Personal reasons :smile:
Reply 6
Do you think Maths applicants at QMUL is very popular?
london sucks ass.

just dont :P
Reply 8
UCL gave me an AAA offer this year.
Khodu
Hi,

I'm in year 12 and I've finally decided I'm hopefully going to be applying next year for G100 Mathematics.

KCL

QMUL

ROYAL HOLLOWAY

LONDON MET :ninja:

My best friend is going to be studying at Hertfordshire Uni and maybe if I beg my parents they might let me... Is it any good?

I've been using this site, if it's any good to any of you...

Top Universities by Subject 2010

Times Online Good University Guide 2010

Cheers.

London Met? :eek: I live like five minutes away from it, and all I can say is do NOT go there. My brother went there and he says the teacher/lecturers cannot speak English properly.

You can easily get into QMUL, SOAS, RHUL, and City by getting ABB, I think. They are all alot beter than London Met.
Reply 10
around
UCL gave me an AAA offer this year.

Wow... The requirements has gone up to A*AA. :s:
Reply 11
Snookercraze
London Met? :eek: I live like five minutes away from it, and all I can say is do NOT go there. My brother went there and he says the teacher/lecturers cannot speak English properly.

You can easily get into QMUL, SOAS, RHUL, and City by getting ABB, I think. They are all alot beter than London Met.

Yeah, there's a campus 5 minutes from my house too... I was just looking :o:

But I'm seriously thinking about QMUL or Kings...
Khodu
Yeah, there's a campus 5 minutes from my house too... I was just looking :o:

But I'm seriously thinking about QMUL or Kings...

There are so many unis in London better than London Met, and they include Westminster, Brunel and Middlesex.

I think King's is better on the whole, but not sure about the actual maths dept in each respective uni.
UCL is considered to be one of the good London universities, but nowadays they're asking for A*AA with the A* in Maths A Level.

Although personally, I don't enjoy it that much :frown:
Reply 14
Snookercraze
There are so many unis in London better than London Met, and they include Westminster, Brunel and Middlesex.

I think King's is better on the whole, but not sure about the actual maths dept in each respective uni.

I don't wanna sound snobby but I don't wanna go to a Polytechnic. QMUL would be ideal with my folks.
Khodu
I don't wanna sound snobby but I don't wanna go to a Polytechnic. QMUL would be ideal with my folks.

Does it have to be in London?

Some of the unis outside london are very good for Maths, without ridiculously high offers either - Durham, Bath, Bristol and the like are generally AAB-ABB offers.
Khodu

Yeah, because isn't QMUL like bare close to you?

QMUL isn't that bad. Come out with a 2:1 at the minimum, and you'll be in a great position.
Reply 17
Snookercraze

QMUL isn't that bad. Come out with a 2:1 at the minimum, and you'll be in a great position.

Yup. Cheers. I aint no rebel.

tazarooni89
Does it have to be in London?

Some of the unis outside london are very good for Maths, without ridiculously high offers either - Durham, Bath, Bristol and the like are generally AAB-ABB offers.

Yeah unfortunately... But if it's like a city just neighbouring London there might be a chance.
Reply 18
Snookercraze

Lol, come out with a 2:1 in Mathematics from pretty much any Uni and you'll be in a great position
i saw greenwich near to the top on the times league table.

Latest