The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

I'm starting on the 6th September, but they still haven't told me what I'll be doing, which part of the Scottish Government I'll be in, or actually confirmed which city I'll be in! It actually caused some problems because they wouldn't give me an employment reference for my new landlord. Is anyone else SG? I know there will be other starters but I haven't seen anyone here or on FB mention it.
its_own_reword
I'm starting on the 6th September, but they still haven't told me what I'll be doing, which part of the Scottish Government I'll be in, or actually confirmed which city I'll be in! It actually caused some problems because they wouldn't give me an employment reference for my new landlord. Is anyone else SG? I know there will be other starters but I haven't seen anyone here or on FB mention it.

haha, i have the opposite problem to you - i've been told which city i'm in but no start date...
Reply 2682
I'm starting at DfT on 6th September and have been told what I'll be doing.

Signed and returned my contract yesterday; it's a bit scary that after all these months of waiting things are finally happening!
Reply 2683
Hi there,

I hope all is well :smile:

For all those deferred entrants (or infact for anyone in the know), is it likely that our assignments won't start until after the recruitment process next year? i.e from June 2011 onwards?

I have tried to pin the FS Assignments down on this but they're being very elusive....naturally!

Thanks
Jlass,

I was told between February and June as that's when they'll know what kind of vacancies they'll have. Either way, I'm getting rather tired of this waiting malarky! Anyone helping out with assessor training on Friday? x
Reply 2685
Thanks Katelyn!

That feels like an age away...............so tired of waiting too!

I'm not at assesor training tomorrow. Hope it goes well tho!
Reply 2686
so, is everyone joining a union? is FDA the right one?
Dapple

Yes for Fast Streamers - I should declare an interest as an elected rep for the FDA.
Reply 2688
Dapple

No, but yes. Its a personal choice, I'd estimate about 40% of fast streamers join. The first six months are free to try it out which will give you a discount on the November ball.

I'm not a member myself and am waiting to see if they have any influence over this years pay round before I decide if I think they have any value... :smile: an interesting test for them!
Hey guys, I’m wondering if it would be ok to ask some questions about applying to the FS?

I’m just about to start my second year and from what I’ve read the CS seems like a possible route, but I’m a bit unsure of it all. Before I ask my questions, are there any FAQ pages I can read through so I’m not asking the same questions that you’ve been asked many times before? :p:

Cheers.
TiBFS
I'm not a member myself and am waiting to see if they have any influence over this years pay round before I decide if I think they have any value... :smile: an interesting test for them!

Fast Streamers will be covered by the pay freeze in the same way as other civil servants i.e.

There will be a freeze of basic pay as well as any allowances for two years unless the department has ‘a contractual obligation in place’
Departments that are in a multi-year deal will enter and exit the pay freeze one year later than other departments.
Reply 2691
gt94sss2
Fast Streamers will be covered by the pay freeze in the same way as other civil servants i.e.

There will be a freeze of basic pay as well as any allowances for two years unless the department has ‘a contractual obligation in place’
Departments that are in a multi-year deal will enter and exit the pay freeze one year later than other departments.

Thats the simple view. Reality is a little different.

Consolidated pay is frozen. Non-consolidated bonuses can be as high as the department likes (as long as it stays within the Treasury's pay remit). Which is why my dept is currently negotiating with the unions over this years pay settlement. I don't think they'll get anywhere (applying the Daily Mail principle), but if they don't then where is the value in a union subscription? Hence the 'test'.

Also they are seeing whether faststreamers have a contractual right to pay rises. Again I highly doubt it.
TiBFS
No, but yes. Its a personal choice, I'd estimate about 40% of fast streamers join. The first six months are free to try it out which will give you a discount on the November ball.

This time around, probably not but in my department they negotiated a decent rise in starting salaries for FSers - making me a couple of thousand a year gross better off within my first year.
Reply 2693
Prince Rhyus
This time around, probably not but in my department they negotiated a decent rise in starting salaries for FSers - making me a couple of thousand a year gross better off within my first year.

I know this is separate, but the FS starting salary in my Dept is going down over a grand compared to last year due to the (quite right) pay equalisation. Not that pay is equalised, just the difference will be smaller typically. But the 'equalisation' only applies to generalists, so a dept on my scheme is paying 7k more as a starting salary.

In all I'd hardly call this a result...

I can only judge on what I've seen.
Reply 2694
tib salaries did seem to be a lot higher than any of the other schemes this year
And this - http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/aug/12/government-labour-spending-releases-records - ladies and gentlemen is why you should get an understanding of finance and procurement as soon as possible if you find yourself in a public sector job that has even the remotest possibility of spending taxpayers money.
Reply 2696
a lot of that is just politically motivated posturing though. let's take a few things out of context in an attempt to get hearts and minds on board to fully support rampant cuts.

for e.g. how exactly is market research and polling 'taking the public for a ride'? And are public sector employees not worthy of schemes that may reduce their stress at work?
Reply 2697
A little off-topic, and probably more for the current FSers out there, but I'm trying to fill out my pension pack and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

I'll probably just go with nuvos; is that what other people are doing/have done?
Reply 2698
ej1986
I'll probably just go with nuvos; is that what other people are doing/have done?

Yes.

Its basically a question of would you like to pay 3.5% of your salary and get a good pension or would you like the option for lower/zero payments and a bad pension.

Its a little more complicated than that but thats the crux of it :P
Basically, Nuvos is the pension you want, unless you're REALLY short on cash and need that extra £60-£100 a month.

Quick Reply