The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
seraphina
Hey, when were you told it would be next year? I'm paranoid they're going to postpone me after all this waiting. Hope you've got something fun to do in the meantime/ And yes, it does look as though there is a good crowd going there

Hey,

I am on a different grad rec scheme - the Government Legal Service so not through the fast stream and they recruit us 2 years in advance. So I have had 2 years to put in!! I am currently doing my LPC which is a one year course I am required to do, and I spent last year working overseas! So I had a great time, with a guaranteed job at the end of it.

I hope you find out soon what is going on - it all seems pretty crazy right now in the entire civil service.
DfT came back to me and said it's likely I wont start until at least April 2011 which, considering they told me September when I quit my job before the summer, is really annoying. Planning some temping and travelling now to fill in time... They still havent told me when they will actually confirm a start date though. All really annoying - is it just DfT or are people in other departments being made to wait for ages too?
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a while.

PLEASE help me understand this, as I'm quite confused.

I applied for the GES and I just got the answer from my FSAC, saying that I was successful. Does this mean that I definitely will be offered a job now? I read that this only applies to " Graduate Fast Stream candidates" - can anyone expand on this please?:confused:

Also, I know that most people are talking about that it's taking a long time to allocate people to their jobs, is this the case for pretty much all candidates?
Got my FSAC score for the GSS: 16.7. Was accepted, but not great...not great...According to my report, I'm a powerful communicator, critical thinker and good at learning and improving but sucked a bit on the creative thinking, building relationships and decision making.

To answer Billy's question, if you are accepted at this point (and you don't screw up the paper work for the next bit), we're in. They take a while to get back to people because they offer positions based our scores at the FSAC. I think that with the GES and GSS, there are generally more specific posts opening for statisticians or economists compared to that of generalists which means that we may be placed or deferred quicker. Of course, this is what the FSers I work with tell me, but they may be wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
that's great thanks for the information!

could you tell me where you got your scores and feedback from? Is that something I need to ask for specifically?
Billy Hoyle
that's great thanks for the information!

could you tell me where you got your scores and feedback from? Is that something I need to ask for specifically?

Hey Billy, go to the website and go to the view results of the FSAC. If you scroll down to the bottom you'll have a button above the OK button labelled FSAC Report. If you click on it, you'll download a PDF with the feedback.

Actually, I have a question. Why do some people need a higher pass grade than others? From what I've gleemed from here is that the GSS and GES generally require a lower score at the FSAC than others. Can someone shed some light on this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any markers for how long it is taking for people joining the GES take to be placed? Has anyone been placed recently? I'm just wondering if its likely to be two months or five! Thanks!
Reply 2747
nabeshiniii
Hey Billy, go to the website and go to the view results of the FSAC. If you scroll down to the bottom you'll have a button above the OK button labelled FSAC Report. If you click on it, you'll download a PDF with the feedback.

Actually, I have a question. Why do some people need a higher pass grade than others? From what I've gleemed from here is that the GSS and GES generally require a lower score at the FSAC than others. Can someone shed some light on this?

FSAC and e-tray grades are lower for GSS and GES schemes because we have to pass the EAC or the statistical equivalent. From next year though I think the analytical streams have been combined and the e-tray and online tests scrapped for GSS GES and GSR candidates.
just a quick question, the deadline for me to complete the online test is 7/10/2010. I got a reminder today telling me that the tests must be completed by midnight on the date shown. Is that midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow?
Reply 2749
tomorrow
nabeshiniii

Its simply supply and demand. There are a lot fewer applications/place for the GSS and GES (and some other schemes) then there is for the main GFS scheme.. - so a lower pass mark.
Reply 2751
I received an email last week saying I had been assigned to BIS (on the GES). I thought this meant that there was a vacancy ready and waiting - for the last couple of months I was told I was near the front of the list and people would be assigned to a department from that list as vacancies arise. But it now appears that I am on another BIS-specific waiting list, and, from reading a few pages of this thread, it appears that quite a few others are in a similar situation.

Does anyone know what the situation is with BIS vacancies at the moment? I've seen some posts saying that a few people were due to start on the 4 October, and also some that suggest there might not be another intake until next April. Would really appreciate any info anyone has.
Tobyk3
I received an email last week saying I had been assigned to BIS (on the GES). I thought this meant that there was a vacancy ready and waiting - for the last couple of months I was told I was near the front of the list and people would be assigned to a department from that list as vacancies arise. But it now appears that I am on another BIS-specific waiting list, and, from reading a few pages of this thread, it appears that quite a few others are in a similar situation.

Does anyone know what the situation is with BIS vacancies at the moment? I've seen some posts saying that a few people were due to start on the 4 October, and also some that suggest there might not be another intake until next April. Would really appreciate any info anyone has.

Chances are they're waiting to see what thier Spending Review settlement will be, & what their new structure will look like first.
Reply 2753
Prince Rhyus
Chances are they're waiting to see what thier Spending Review settlement will be, & what their new structure will look like first.

Yeh that's what I suspected, but when I asked them if that was the case they said they couldn't give me any more information at this stage. But I guess any information to do with public sector spending is being embargoed until the 20th.

The only thing that made me think otherwise was that a few people earlier in the thread said they were due to start on 4th October, which would suggest that BIS has already sorted out it's restructuring plans. And that would fit in with me receiving an email on the 6th October saying that I had been assigned to BIS if a bunch of people had just been cleared from the waiting list. Will have to wait and see
Hi all!

I found out that my pre-appointment checks for the GES had all gone through last week and that i'm now on a waiting list to be assigned to a department :smile: Apparently i'm number 24 on the list of 71. I'm looking to go away for the whole of November and i was wondering if you thought it was highly unlikely that they suddenly place me somewhere in November?

From what you're all saying its quite a wait so i think i should be ok!! I know no-one can say because it also depends on the spending review but if anything, the review will mean a slightly longer wait?
Reply 2755
Malteaser1
Hi all!

I found out that my pre-appointment checks for the GES had all gone through last week and that i'm now on a waiting list to be assigned to a department :smile: Apparently i'm number 24 on the list of 71. I'm looking to go away for the whole of November and i was wondering if you thought it was highly unlikely that they suddenly place me somewhere in November?

From what you're all saying its quite a wait so i think i should be ok!! I know no-one can say because it also depends on the spending review but if anything, the review will mean a slightly longer wait?

I would say you will almost certainly be ok, it's very unlikely that you would be placed before the end of November and even if you are your start date will probably be in the new year. I was eigth on the list in June, and only just got placed in a department last week - and even now it seems like I'm on another waiting list.

Probably a good idea to have email access whilst you're away though, it's possible that come the spending review there might some recruitment. But that's complete speculation!
Reply 2756
Original post by Malteaser1
Hi all!

Hi Malteaser!

I'm also in GES round 2. All my pre-appointment checks have gone through too. So I'd like to know, how did you know about your position in the list? Did they tell you directly, or did you ask to GES???

Best wishes!
Reply 2757
Original post by Malteaser1
Hi all!

Also, do you mind saying what your FSAC score was, so we might have an idea of our relative position on the list? Thanks.
Anyone joining the Civil Service in the near future, please please please be aware that this is an extremely stressful time for a lot of civil servants whose jobs, careers, homes and livelihoods are on the line. 24 hour helplines in some departments have not been set up for nothing...
Reply 2759
Welp, I've been assigned to BIS yesterday, which was my second choice (first being DECC) which is nice. Especially as the DECC and BIS share the same pool of fast streamers (or so it seems). But they said that they have no vacancies at the moment and will be in contact in a few months with a start date, so a fair bit of waiting yet! Good luck to all those not yet assigned.

Quick Reply

Latest