The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2010 Competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Did the online tests yday and still got "awaiting results". Think I messed up the competency questions, agh. Wish they let you know straight away :eek3:
Reply 161
In the lead up to registering and doing the tests myself, I think that I'll likely look for other schemes that I'm not too fussed about (IoW pretty much everything else, as I'd only be willing to go through the hassle and expense of putting our girls into FT day-care for a decent FS or related job) and go through their online testing regimes first as 'practice'. And of course trawl the interweb for free tests, etc...

There is also a paid for site that I used last year which was very handy when it came to brushing up on my numerical and verbal reasoning skills. Even if some of their answers were wrong...
Reply 162
sam2933
Am I missing something here?

How do you practice for the tests? Can you actually keep re-taking the practice tests again or are you all using another site with similar assessments?

I skipped the practice tests to be honest. I'm an LPC student at the moment and must have done close to 13 million of these things in various assessment centres around the country!

There are loads of similar practice tests around the web though. I think really the verbal reasoning ones are pretty common sense, just don't be afraid to put "cannot say" - don't intimate anything.

The numerical ones are mainly based on percentage calculations, nothing really beyond GCSE (or at least when I was doing GCSEs!). A lot of calculating previous and post figures based on percentage trends. Also, read the questions carefully - especially where numbers are to a power of a thousand or whatever.
Gaah... I literally loath the competency questionnaire. I'm sure that's where it may have gone tits up.
Reply 164
Hi everybody, that's my first post here.

I have applied for the GES...I passed the on-line tests and now I'm at the application sifting stage.

Has anybody already passed the sifting, and already booked EAC?
What about the referee letters? Do we need them before 2nd November or later?

Thanks, bye.
Reply 165
Yes, I have been invited to the e-tray assessment. From submitting my applications to receiving the invitation took about 5 hours, so I'm not sure how much sifting actually takes place to be honest.

Nothing about referee letters yet
Reply 166
Grape
Yes, I have been invited to the e-tray assessment. From submitting my applications to receiving the invitation took about 5 hours, so I'm not sure how much sifting actually takes place to be honest.

Nothing about referee letters yet

OK, but were you applying for the general fast stream (GFS) or for the economic one (GES)? Because for the latter there should be an Economic Assessment Centre (EAC) before taking the e-tray.

Thanks.
Reply 167
oh sorry - GFS, HR and TiB
Reply 168
I found a decent website that has some hints and tips for passing all stages, also run a coaching service, which I havent tried.

I think the more info on passing these stages the better!

http://faststream.org.uk

J
Reply 169
Hey ya'll. if i took the tests on Saturday (17th) and its now tuesday (20th), does anyone have any idea when I may find out if I got past the first stage? It says I'm still awaiting results. I realize its only been 4 days but I am a bit impatient! Could I be waiting till the end of November?? Any help would greatly appreciated! Cheers!
fancy1run
Hey ya'll. if i took the tests on Saturday (17th) and its now tuesday (20th), does anyone have any idea when I may find out if I got past the first stage? It says I'm still awaiting results. I realize its only been 4 days but I am a bit impatient! Could I be waiting till the end of November?? Any help would greatly appreciated! Cheers!

As I understand it you'll be waiting until mid-November...but I could be wrong.
Reply 171
duluoz84
I found a decent website that has some hints and tips for passing all stages, also run a coaching service, which I havent tried.

J

that just looks like a slightly padded out version of what you can find on the FS website, with an aim to sell coaching to you by "consultants"?
Reply 172
yeah, perhaps - the best part of it seemed to be the FS assessment centre, rather than the other tests.
Reply 173
BHW
I try and do that but don't really like putting strongly agree for nearly everything and have failed doing that too. Did it without thinking about it too much this time and perhaps i was overly honest or the answers didn't correlate with each other. I prefer people who can admit to their limitations but i guess it doesn't come across properly on a vague multiple choice questionnaire. Just wish I could get some feedback that would tell me what i'm doing wrong.

In my experience, this is one of those things where you have to put your honesty and morals to one side, and just answer what you think they want, rather than what you want to say.
duluoz84
In my experience, this is one of those things where you have to put your honesty and morals to one side, and just answer what you think they want, rather than what you want to say.

I was completely honest on mine and I was immediately successful. It seems a bit odd to try and second guess what they want, the idea of these tests is to make sure that you are compatible with the role you are applying for. If you're not honest and you are actually incompatible then it is likely that you will fail at a later stage or end up in a job that you are either not good at or that you don't enjoy.

Just a thought. :smile:
Reply 175
alicesarah
I was completely honest on mine and I was immediately successful. It seems a bit odd to try and second guess what they want, the idea of these tests is to make sure that you are compatible with the role you are applying for. If you're not honest and you are actually incompatible then it is likely that you will fail at a later stage or end up in a job that you are either not good at or that you don't enjoy.

Just a thought. :smile:

Wow, you could work in HR!! :wink:
I've applied but heard nothing from my tests in two days. I got top 15% for both sections in practice, skipped the other practice, and then probably came across as a bit of a bastard in the competency bit....
Reply 177
duluoz84

J

So you're not just advertising you're own site...?
You haven't tried it because you set it up...

(the clue is in your signature)
Reply 178
That's a pretty s**t site! No real information and poorly written. A sixth-former could do better.
Reply 179
Just got rejected from the GES on the manual sift, and I'm genuinely confused, I really have no idea why I was rejected, and they don't give you any feedback. I've got plenty of extra-curricular stuff, a year's work experience in an actuarial office, predicted a first. I really wanted to get into this, and now I've been left with no idea of how to improve if I want to reapply next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending