Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best portable device for lectures etc?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Just looking for recommendations for the best portable device to use in lectures, for a combination of taking notes, extra research, recording.

Really looking for something quite portable, as I'm commuting - and also something with really decent battery life, that can last the whole day and give me an hour or so on the train too if possible.

Open to all options - have already got a decent laptop, but it's a bit chunky to lug around. Would consider perhaps a lower spec ultra portable laptop, something like an Ultrabook as a replacement, a decent tablet/iPad or alternatives? Macbook Air stands out as a possibility, although I wonder whether I'd find a tablet/iPad more convenient?

My handwriting is awful, so would much prefer to either type up notes in lectures, or record the lectures to play back and type up later - but with the option to scribble/type quick notes if I need to.

Budget totally flexible really, just want to find the right tool for the job.

Thank you in advance! x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently trying to find a similar thing...

Have you had a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3? It meets all the requirements you ask for, plus its more powerful than an iPad//Android equivalent. Problem is that its pretty pricey, but worth a look
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers ladams, I hadn't considered the Surface Pro, but will go and have a look now.

Have to admit, the MB Air is appealing to me, but I'm not really sure why, lol. I guess a small tablet would be a bit pointless, as I've got an Xperia Z Ultra phone which is less than an inch smaller than some tablet screens.

Not sure how I would adjust to Apple though, after years of Windows/Linux/Android.

Hmm, decisions!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on the Asus Transformer Book T100 or T200?

Looks like possibly a decent solution, and without paying Apple Tax too. Decent battery life, benchmark's similar to my 1st gen i3, tablet + laptop in one...not a Win8 fan, but I'm sure I could adapt.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WVL)
    Cheers ladams, I hadn't considered the Surface Pro, but will go and have a look now.

Have to admit, the MB Air is appealing to me, but I'm not really sure why, lol. I guess a small tablet would be a bit pointless, as I've got an Xperia Z Ultra phone which is less than an inch smaller than some tablet screens.

Not sure how I would adjust to Apple though, after years of Windows/Linux/Android.

Hmm, decisions!
    Yeah I've got a tablet already, not sure if I'm just drooling all over the SP3...

I'm prejudice against (Cr)Apple products, not really into buying their whole ecosystem, but the MBAir is (irritatingly) appealing as well.

Ah Linux master race FTW... I think you'll adapt quickly, its not too different
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WVL)
    Any thoughts on the Asus Transformer Book T100 or T200?

Looks like possibly a decent solution, and without paying Apple Tax too. Decent battery life, benchmark's similar to my 1st gen i3, tablet + laptop in one...not a Win8 fan, but I'm sure I could adapt.
    Yeah it is, someone else was recommending it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3&postcount=18

Not a fan of Atom processor and 2GB of ram though :/ Not sure how you'll be using it though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In this instance, I would be using it as a secondary machine - almost exclusively for note taking/annotating/quick research whilst at Uni - and probably a bit of the same during the commute (along with the obligatory background music on the train etc.)

If I went for something like this, I would keep my main laptop for more power hungry tasks at home - although if I was to invest in something more costly like the Air then would struggle to justify having both...

May have to go and see if I can find one on the high street somewhere to have a play with, and take it from there I think
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have decided to give the Asus a go.

It's ordered and will be with me by the weekend - with the option to return it if I decide it's not right for me.

Hardware wise I'm sure it will be spot on, but I'm a little unsure of W8.1 to be honest, just have to see how I get on.

Will share my observations on here once it's here and been played with!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 20, 2014
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.