The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
alienware, regardless of there budget laptop's there equipment is heavily overpriced. The only difference is, that alienware overclock there hardware like a b**tch.
Reply 41
hmm the special offer at the dell website seems good

I personalised it a bit and added an n-compatible wireless card and upgraded the processor from the Dual Core to Core 2 Duo. Came to £559. Any thoughts? Good value for money?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT) - English
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English
HARDWARE SUPPORT 1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
LCD 15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366x768) WLED with TrueLife
MEMORY 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
HARD DRIVE 250GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive
GRAPHICS CARD 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 457
OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell Wireless 1510 Half Mini Card (802.11n)
WEB CAM 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
KEYBOARD Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Reply 42
Dan?
hmm the special offer at the dell website seems good

I personalised it a bit and added an n-compatible wireless card and upgraded the processor from the Dual Core to Core 2 Duo. Came to £559. Any thoughts? Good value for money?

I reckon it could be cheaper... the back to school deals aren't on yet.

Just keep watching it... the deals changes on Thursdays.
Reply 43
spikeymike
I reckon it could be cheaper... the back to school deals aren't on yet.

Just keep watching it... the deals changes on Thursdays.

oh right ok. When do the back to school deals start usually?
Reply 44
Dan?
oh right ok. When do the back to school deals start usually?

Well uni starts in Sept... so August.. Mid august?
Reply 45
spikeymike
Well uni starts in Sept... so August.. Mid august?

ok then I'll have to be patient :P

What's the best price that you reckon I could get for my desired specs, from a good, well-known brand?

15 inch screen
Core 2 Duo processor
4GB Memory
250GB Hard drive
Decent graphics card (not integrated)
n compatible wireless card
Reply 46
Dan?
ok then I'll have to be patient :P

What's the best price that you reckon I could get for my desired specs, from a good, well-known brand?

15 inch screen
Core 2 Duo processor
4GB Memory
250GB Hard drive
Decent graphics card (not integrated)
n compatible wireless card

To be honest I think £550 is pretty reasonable, but with the back to school sale, maybe even be £500.
Reply 47
spikeymike
To be honest I think £550 is pretty reasonable, but with the back to school sale, maybe even be £500.

ah right ok, better keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 48
um ok so I was looking at the special offers on the dell website last night (at about 1am in the morning) and they had changed to new ones which expired on 29th July. There were pretty good ones which were £40 cheaper than what I found above.

This morning I went back and now they have changed again? I can't find the ones I saw last night, and these ones are more expensive :frown: Why would they do this to me :frown:
Reply 49
Dan?
um ok so I was looking at the special offers on the dell website last night (at about 1am in the morning) and they had changed to new ones which expired on 29th July. There were pretty good ones which were £40 cheaper than what I found above.

This morning I went back and now they have changed again? I can't find the ones I saw last night, and these ones are more expensive :frown: Why would they do this to me :frown:

Maybe they put up the wrong offer?
Reply 50
spikeymike
Maybe they put up the wrong offer?

Yeah maybe :frown:

But it's a completely different offer, so I'm thinking they just changed their mind. Why didn't I order it yesterday? :mad:
Reply 51
Dan?
Yeah maybe :frown:

But it's a completely different offer, so I'm thinking they just changed their mind. Why didn't I order it yesterday? :mad:

Have you bought a laptop yet or are you playing the waiting game? :p:
Reply 52
spikeymike
Have you bought a laptop yet or are you playing the waiting game? :p:

Still waiting!

Just looked at the Studio 15 on the Dell website again, it's £549 with a hard drive upgrade to 500GB and free cover colour. I'm considering it....
Reply 53
I have ordered the Studio 15!

Used a code and got 5% off, and I also got a student discount. For some reason they didn't ask for a university name or anything though.

I added a better wireless card on it which made it £564, but with the discounts it was £521! :smile:
Reply 54
Dan?
I have ordered the Studio 15!

Used a code and got 5% off, and I also got a student discount. For some reason they didn't ask for a university name or anything though.

I added a better wireless card on it which made it £564, but with the discounts it was £521! :smile:

Nice one. :five:
spikeymike
Nice one. :five:

I think I'm going to get the Studio 15 also, but would it be worth waiting for the back to school sales? The deal on now seems pretty good, though :dontknow:
Reply 56
sundance_kid
I think I'm going to get the Studio 15 also, but would it be worth waiting for the back to school sales? The deal on now seems pretty good, though :dontknow:

I'm not sure if it'll get any cheaper unless it Christmas or something...
spikeymike
I'm not sure if it'll get any cheaper unless it Christmas or something...

Yeah I think I'll just stick with the Studio 15 :yep:
Reply 58
my laptop came this morning! I'm on it now, very happy with it so far.
Reply 59
Dan?
my laptop came this morning! I'm on it now, very happy with it so far.

Woo! :five:

Latest

Trending

Trending