Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[Wiki Guide] Laptop Buying Advice

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pai2502)
    How much RAM should be sufficient for university? ( I'm an Arts and Humanities student and need the laptop for general purposes )
    2 GB, 3 GB or 4 GB?

EDIT: Also, which out of these is the best? Lenovo, HP, Sony, Acer, Samsung?
    To be honest, these days all laptops come with 4gb minimum anyway which is more than enough.

I would say it's between Lenovo and Sony.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/342418-toshiba...sc1me-01n00ken

Going to buy this tonight, any last minute opinions?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamcfc)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/342418-toshiba...sc1me-01n00ken

Going to buy this tonight, any last minute opinions?
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenov...UK/version.asp

Well if you want more power, than thats better for £400, but with less ram and storage.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at this for uni any opinions?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...dhs&cs=ukdhs1&
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping that someone on this thread could help me by giving me some suggestions.

I'm looking to get a netbook to take to university. I have a good laptop that will serve as my main computer the only problem with it is that it is very heavy and I found that during exam period and close to deadlines when I carried it to and from the library a lot it was a pain. Obviously this wasn't to much of a problem as it was restricted to certain times but this year with living off campus I planned to spend the time inbetween lectures in the libary as I wouldn't be able to travel home easily like I could living in halls. Because of this I was thinking about buying a netbook that would be convenient to carry around.

As I have a computer already the only thing it will really be required to do is internet browsing and word processing, perhaps some excel. So it being a good computer isn't important my main priorities are it being as light and cheap as possible.

also I see on the pc world and other stores websites that there are options to buy refurbished ones. would this be a good idea? are they reliable and refurbished well or is it a bit hit and miss?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I was hoping that someone on this thread could help me by giving me some suggestions.

I'm looking to get a netbook to take to university. I have a good laptop that will serve as my main computer the only problem with it is that it is very heavy and I found that during exam period and close to deadlines when I carried it to and from the library a lot it was a pain. Obviously this wasn't to much of a problem as it was restricted to certain times but this year with living off campus I planned to spend the time inbetween lectures in the libary as I wouldn't be able to travel home easily like I could living in halls. Because of this I was thinking about buying a netbook that would be convenient to carry around.

As I have a computer already the only thing it will really be required to do is internet browsing and word processing, perhaps some excel. So it being a good computer isn't important my main priorities are it being as light and cheap as possible.

also I see on the pc world and other stores websites that there are options to buy refurbished ones. would this be a good idea? are they reliable and refurbished well or is it a bit hit and miss?
    If refurbs come with a warranty and has good specs than why not, a decent netbook would set you back under £250, have a look on ebuyer, dabs, laptopsdirect and saveonlaptops
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is this any good?

http://www.ebuyer.com/345802-lenovo-...laptop-m51bpuk
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is

Lenovo IdeaPad G570 Laptop
    1 review
    - Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5GHz
    - 6GB RAM + 750GB HDD
    - 15.6" HD + Blu Ray Player
    - Webcam + Bluetooth
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Do you really need blu ray?

Because with the other spec's you can get a cheaper alternative
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Yes it is

Lenovo IdeaPad G570 Laptop
    1 review
    - Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5GHz
    - 6GB RAM + 750GB HDD
    - 15.6" HD + Blu Ray Player
    - Webcam + Bluetooth
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Do you really need blu ray?

Because with the other spec's you can get a cheaper alternative
    Why is this so cheap? http://www.ebuyer.com/271936-acer-et...edium=products
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, but my opinion would be that Acer have had issues of overheating with their laptops, hence why you see so many Acers with high specs for around £500. To get an Acer wouldn't necessarily mean you'll get that issue.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll be doing computer science in September. I presume that I will be taking my laptop with me to class, or will maybe an ipad be engough for some lectures?
    Also, what is the best choice for around £1000? Is it possible to buy a high end laptop with a 17'' screen that is not that heavy for that money?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thealpz)
    I'll be doing computer science in September. I presume that I will be taking my laptop with me to class, or will maybe an ipad be engough for some lectures?
    Also, what is the best choice for around £1000? Is it possible to buy a high end laptop with a 17'' screen that is not that heavy for that money?
    Computer science barely pushes your computer to be fair, so an i3 with 4gb of ram will do.
    But it depends on the things you want to use it for like gaming or editing, etc
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wondering what weight is considered light enough to carry around, (kg's?)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    about 3-3,5 kg
    I want a well build laptop, that will probably be used for some light gaming and for course needs.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    about 3-3,5 kg
    I want a well build laptop, that will probably be used for some light gaming and for course needs.
    press quote on the person your going to reply to, so they know someone's replying.

What kind of games?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    press quote on the person your going to reply to, so they know someone's replying.

What kind of games?
    I would like to be able to play newer games, on low/med details...
    Battlefield, GTA V and stuff like that.
    But If I have to chose between portability and gaming, I would choose portability.
    I am just curious is there a good compromise
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    about 3-3,5 kg
    me too. I want one for word/excel/powerpoint a few games online and perhaps some youtube videos.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...mo...)
    Wondering what weight is considered light enough to carry around, (kg's?)
    my laptop is just under 3kg and I hate carrying it around and it makes my shoulder hurt
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would like to be able to play newer games, on low/med details...
    Battlefield, GTA V and stuff like that.
    But If I have to chose between portability and gaming, I would choose portability.
    I am just curious is there a good compromise
    BF3 is a really intense game, not sure about GTA V as system requirements aren't out, from what I hear it won't be out for a while.
    What do you think is a good weight for your laptop?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    BF3 is a really intense game, not sure about GTA V as system requirements aren't out, from what I hear it won't be out for a while.
    What do you think is a good weight for your laptop?
    Around 3 kg. Is it possible to have a good portable laptop that will be able to run games like that for 1000 pounds?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2014
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.