The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I wouldn't go for either. I have had bad experience with Acer.
Reply 81
spikeymike
I wouldn't go for either. I have had bad experience with Acer.

Would you mind elaborating a bit? I ask because I'm in the market for a new laptop for university and the Acer Aspire 7735Z-424G32Mn caught my eye as a good deal.

Many thanks for this thread, btw - it's been very helpful.

One question: I'm hoping to use my laptop primarily as a media centre, for watching movies and, especially, listening to music. I'll buy some fairly decent speakers to plug in to it, but what should I be looking for in the way of soundcards and other hardware within the laptop itself? (My budget for the whole machine is £500 tops, preferably closer to £400)
Reply 82
MrWolf
Would you mind elaborating a bit? I ask because I'm in the market for a new laptop for university and the Acer Aspire 7735Z-424G32Mn caught my eye as a good deal.

Many thanks for this thread, btw - it's been very helpful.

One question: I'm hoping to use my laptop primarily as a media centre, for watching movies and, especially, listening to music. I'll buy some fairly decent speakers to plug in to it, but what should I be looking for in the way of soundcards and other hardware within the laptop itself? (My budget for the whole machine is £500 tops, preferably closer to £400)

My dad had an Acer PDA which kept failing to work and it had to be sent back to Acer for it to fix but eventually we got fed up of it and got a different one.

I had an Acer Aspire One netbook which I just didn't like, cheapy plasticy rubbish IMO.

Well, you aren't going to get a decent laptop and a decent soundcard for £400. A desktop would be much better and cheaper as a media centre.
Okay guys, it's getting down to crunch time for decision for new laptop.
Currently i'm deciding between either the HP HDX16t, or Sony Vaio FW31M

They're quite a similar spec, however, Sony has better CPU (p8600), compared to either T6600 or T7450 in the HP.
The HP has a better GPU (9600M GT compared to HD3470).
The Sony has a better screen, 1600x900 compared to 1366x768

Both have Bluray, 4gb RAM, similar HDD (I don't really care, not gonna need more than 320gb)

Both are similar price (between £600 and £650, depending where I get it).
Also note, they are both worth a lot more in the UK, more than £850 each, however i'm importing them.

I could also spend £80 or so more on the HP to upgrade the P7450 to a p8700, but I'm not sure it's worth it...

They both look very nice, however i'm slightly nervous about the hinge on the Sony, looks a bit flimsy... Perhaps better build quality in the HP...

Anyway, any of your opinions are helpful, also possibly suggesting other laptops with similar spec in the price range :smile:
I don't want a studio 15 anymore, after seeing some more in depth reviews I got put off somewhat :frown:
Reply 84
if you're buying abroad and shipping it to the UK, you will be charged international shipping and import tax.

I have a Studio 15 and I nothing against it, not one.
White Zenith
Okay guys, it's getting down to crunch time for decision for new laptop.
Currently i'm deciding between either the HP HDX16t, or Sony Vaio FW31M

They're quite a similar spec, however, Sony has better CPU (p8600), compared to either T6600 or T7450 in the HP.
The HP has a better GPU (9600M GT compared to HD3470).
The Sony has a better screen, 1600x900 compared to 1366x768

Both have Bluray, 4gb RAM, similar HDD (I don't really care, not gonna need more than 320gb)

Both are similar price (between £600 and £650, depending where I get it).
Also note, they are both worth a lot more in the UK, more than £850 each, however i'm importing them.

I could also spend £80 or so more on the HP to upgrade the P7450 to a p8700, but I'm not sure it's worth it...

They both look very nice, however i'm slightly nervous about the hinge on the Sony, looks a bit flimsy... Perhaps better build quality in the HP...

Anyway, any of your opinions are helpful, also possibly suggesting other laptops with similar spec in the price range :smile:
I don't want a studio 15 anymore, after seeing some more in depth reviews I got put off somewhat :frown:

+1 for the dell studio.
can you link to reviews you have seen?
Reply 86

yes but http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2009/01/05/HP-HDX16-1005EA-16in-Blu-ray-Notebook/p1
:p:

And I know about the shipping and importing costs. Shipping is about £55, and there is no import duty on laptops from USA>UK, just VAT, which makes the total about the same as the Studio 15, which isn't quite as good.
Reply 88
Ok well if you're willing to send it off for repairs to the US then go ahead. (I think that is how it works)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2045971&postcount=3
spikeymike
Ok well if you're willing to send it off for repairs to the US then go ahead. (I think that is how it works)

Has 1 year worldwide warranty.

I have spent the last 6 weeks looking on and off for a laptop, and for the price, these are better than the Dell, however both the HP and the Sony get good reviews, so just having difficulty deciding between them! :frown:
Reply 90
get the dell inspiron 1545 laptop, great machine for processing, web searching, music, even a few games!! believe it or not. Just upgrade the battery to a 9 cell .
logic123
get the dell inspiron 1545 laptop, great machine for processing, web searching, music, even a few games!! believe it or not. Just upgrade the battery to a 9 cell .

Sorry but it isn't nearly good enough compared to the alternatives. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :smile:
Reply 92
Thanks for the rep whoever that was. :awesome:
It must get really annoying being asked the same questions over and over, but I'm wondering whether either of these laptops are generally any good/which is better? :/

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/519391/ACER-4935G-643G32MN

or

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/564699/PACKARD-BELL-TJ61-RB-016

Preferably I'd like to be able to play WoW. I think the specs of these meet the criteria? (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/requirements/technical.html) Besides the graphics cards, that's where I get confused. :L Apparently these cards will work; http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=19669&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2094 Although I don't know for definate if the cards in those laptops are listed? :rolleyes:

I know laptops aren't the best for gaming, but I don't mind having to have low graphics etc. and apparently WoW isn't too demanding? I have always got my desktop in the end though, I'd just prefer only having one computer.

So yeah, I guess I'm asking for your opinion or any other reccommendations that you think might be better? :o:

I know this is long, thanks in advance. (:
chemicallyabused
It must get really annoying being asked the same questions over and over, but I'm wondering whether either of these laptops are generally any good/which is better? :/

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/519391/ACER-4935G-643G32MN

or

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/564699/PACKARD-BELL-TJ61-RB-016

Preferably I'd like to be able to play WoW. I think the specs of these meet the criteria? (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/requirements/technical.html) Besides the graphics cards, that's where I get confused. :L Apparently these cards will work; http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=19669&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2094 Although I don't know for definate if the cards in those laptops are listed? :rolleyes:

I know laptops aren't the best for gaming, but I don't mind having to have low graphics etc. and apparently WoW isn't too demanding? I have always got my desktop in the end though, I'd just prefer only having one computer.

So yeah, I guess I'm asking for your opinion or any other reccommendations that you think might be better? :o:

I know this is long, thanks in advance. (:

argh acer and packup bell!
personally i would avoid those to brands.

you have a budget of £450 it seems... how about the HP 550 on ebuyer, link in the 1st post somewhere, if you want something a bit cheaper.
or how about customising a dell inspiron?
pick the £399 model, change to the 6 cell battery.

then you can add more RAM, bigger hard drive, or better graphics for ~£30 each
Reply 95
Hi laptop helpers! I am looking for a laptop around the £400 mark but can push to £500 if needed.
I don't want the laptop for anything too strenuous, future football managers etc, watching movies, listening to music and basic word processor functions, but I want it to be running as quickly as possible doing any of these things, as well as multiple applications.
The HDD size is irrelevant to me as is the size of the laptop as long as it can be plugged into a HDTV.

So what would anybodys recommendations be? Rep available :awesome:
Reply 96
meskell
Hi laptop helpers! I am looking for a laptop around the £400 mark but can push to £500 if needed.
I don't want the laptop for anything too strenuous, future football managers etc, watching movies, listening to music and basic word processor functions, but I want it to be running as quickly as possible doing any of these things, as well as multiple applications.
The HDD size is irrelevant to me as is the size of the laptop as long as it can be plugged into a HDTV.

So what would anybodys recommendations be? Rep available :awesome:

HP 550 from eBuyer. On the first page, under the £400-£800 budget.
Reply 97
spikeymike
HP 550 from eBuyer. On the first page, under the £400-£800 budget.

Would there really be no point in shelling out any extra for a better processor? (Me trying to sound like I know what I am on about, I don't even know if the processor is good or not, just the number is below 2.0 :rolleyes: )

Edit: And you might know - but are laptops in Canada generally cheaper to buy than over here? And if my friend bought me one and posted it to me would I have to pay any import costs or VAT.
Reply 98
meskell
Would there really be no point in shelling out any extra for a better processor? (Me trying to sound like I know what I am on about, I don't even know if the processor is good or not, just the number is below 2.0 :rolleyes: )

Edit: And you might know - but are laptops in Canada generally cheaper to buy than over here? And if my friend bought me one and posted it to me would I have to pay any import costs or VAT.

Between 1.8 and 2GHz is so little you won't notice the difference.

Maybe? Maybe not? :p: But the keyboard and power cord will be different. I don't think so? My parents every now and again get stuff from family (who live abroad) and we've never been charged anything.
Reply 99
spikeymike
Between 1.8 and 2GHz is so little you won't notice the difference.

Maybe? Maybe not? :p: But the keyboard and power cord will be different. I don't think so? My parents every now and again get stuff from family (who live abroad) and we've never been charged anything.

I use a North american keyboard as it is, and the french-canadian ones i used over the summer, they are fine :smile: power cord thing is abit iffy though because the voltages are so different, but hey business people can do it so so can I!!
What about if my friend tried to bring her laptop and my laptop through customs? lol.

A question about the actual laptop as well :p: would a better graphics card give a clearer picture or is that not important?

And finally before you recieve your rep (which I know you are dying for!) in your honest opinion there is no point in shelling out any more for a laptop than for the £400 HP 550? (btw if you could find a review for that model I would be extremely grateful as I can only find review for the really scaled down £300 version)

Edit: Oops remembered another question. Is there any point waiting until Windows 7 is released? If so any ideas when that will be.

Latest

Trending

Trending