The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
you have a point now that i look at it. still think my cousin got it tough: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/admissions/requirements/eu-requirements/
if you look for the irish requirements you'll find AAAAAA and as i said, no uni in the uk asks for higher than that, it's as hard as it gets well it's harder in ireland usually. that being said grade requirements and not what you should be judging a university on. some have lower grades, some take lower ukcat scores, some aren't too fussy about personal statements (well no they probably all are), some have tougher interviews than others but i mean they all are very hard to get into in their own unique way. the trick is to find the ones that you'd fit into best. no such thing as a shortcut though i'm afraid.
1001 Chiko
In Scotland, Dundee is the least competitive I believe. They definitely seem to let people in with lower academic records.

There is a difference between setting the threshold at a lower level and actually letting people with lower grades in.
For Aberdeen it is AAB for the English which seems quite normal and for the Scottish it is AAAAB in fifth year which is also normal.

However, one of the stipulations for those English applicants is that they must achieve AAB in one sitting which means that resits will not be accepted? Is this normal?

Swish website,btw.
Reply 63
ThisLittlePiggy
For Aberdeen it is AAB for the English which seems quite normal and for the Scottish it is AAAAB in fifth year which is also normal.

However, one of the stipulations for those English applicants is that they must achieve AAB in one sitting which means that resits will not be accepted? Is this normal?

Swish website,btw.

I assume it means resits, as in, taking an exam outside the normal two year block of A-levels.
Reply 64
ThisLittlePiggy

Swish website,btw.

Yes this is normal if you do not complete your a levels within 2 years you will find it very hard to get into medical schools (unless you took some to AS then decided you want to do medicine so started again with different ones when sometimes they will make an exception as long as your subjects are different and you got good grades with your first time with AS)and you will have to choose where to apply very carefully - most will not look at you.
Reply 65
i got told at hull open day that for medicine, overall; its a 2:1 ratio for people to get in lol!

she said she was a UKCAT lady and admissions! surely she is mad?
gradu
i got told at hull open day that for medicine, overall; its a 2:1 ratio for people to get in lol!

she said she was a UKCAT lady and admissions! surely she is mad?

that ratio is true but post interview. Out of 600 interviews and half get offers. that's what my mate said.
lekky
Yes this is normal if you do not complete your a levels within 2 years you will find it very hard to get into medical schools (unless you took some to AS then decided you want to do medicine so started again with different ones when sometimes they will make an exception as long as your subjects are different and you got good grades with your first time with AS)and you will have to choose where to apply very carefully - most will not look at you.

See, when I read ' in one sitting' I assumed that it meant what it means in Scotland; that once you've sat the exam and got your results, that is final. No resits and no dispensation.

Whereas in England, you can resit modules within the two years to improve your grade?
Reply 68
ThisLittlePiggy
See, when I read ' in one sitting' I assumed that it meant what it means in Scotland; that once you've sat the exam and got your results, that is final. No resits and no dispensation.

Whereas in England, you can resit modules within the two years to improve your grade?

Apparently so -- some Universities will not take you if you do but apparently the majority do not mind (why they do not mind is beyond me! You'd think they'd say no to resits all together wouldn't you? Makes sense... life doesn't give you second chances normally!)

I think it is generally advisable to get the grade first time and not rely on resits because you do have to declare them. For example if they had two candidates exactly equal in every way, but one of them had had to resit a module or two, one had got high A's first time, it doesn't take many brain cells to figure out who they will take.
Isometrix
that ratio is true but post interview. Out of 600 interviews and half get offers. that's what my mate said.

HYMS post their interview questions on the internet. How hard can it be? :p:
Toiletpaper8
HYMS post their interview questions on the internet. How hard can it be? :p:

don't imperial do the same thing?

Spoiler

Isometrix
don't imperial do the same thing?

Spoiler

Yes, but the questions HYMS ask must come from the ones on the internet, so if you practice all of the questions on the internet, you're fully prepared and covered.

Imperial only have examples/sample questions which they may or may not ask :p:
Toiletpaper8
Yes, but the questions HYMS ask must come from the ones on the internet, so if you practice all of the questions on the internet, you're fully prepared and covered.

Imperial only have examples/sample questions which they may or may not ask :p:

Almost all my questions in the interview were of there :p: apart from those that I led them down (stuff on studies and trials)
crazylemon
Almost all my questions in the interview were of there :p: apart from those that I led them down (stuff on studies and trials)

looks like TP got pwned then :p:
Reply 74
1001 Chiko
In Scotland, Dundee is the least competitive I believe. They definitely seem to let people in with lower academic records.

dundee may have minimum grades of AAABB but when i went for my interview, everyone had AAAAB or 5A's (most had 5 A's). They require AAA at A-level so can't be that easy to get into!

Also, aberdeen will let some people in with lower grades if they get a conditional in 6th year (someone at my school got this)
Isometrix
looks like TP got pwned then :p:

Just a little bit :p:

Admittedly I did talk a lot about trials (GP on the panel decided to grill me on it, fortunately I knew enough, thank god for backround reading :p:)
crazylemon

You're extremely lucky then. My questions were very very random :p:
Toiletpaper8
You're extremely lucky then. My questions were very very random :p:

I suppose so then :p:

The ones from the med student were word for word the same :p:
I think they were read off a copy of the online ones :p:
lekky
Apparently so -- some Universities will not take you if you do but apparently the majority do not mind (why they do not mind is beyond me! You'd think they'd say no to resits all together wouldn't you? Makes sense... life doesn't give you second chances normally!)

I think it is generally advisable to get the grade first time and not rely on resits because you do have to declare them. For example if they had two candidates exactly equal in every way, but one of them had had to resit a module or two, one had got high A's first time, it doesn't take many brain cells to figure out who they will take.

I can't think of a single medical school who wouldn't take you if you've resat a module within the two years of A levels. If times have changed and one does then fair enough, but I can't see anyone other than maybe Cambridge (who look at UMs) actually caring much let alone rejecting you solely because of it.

After all, most med schools let you resit exams and even whole years.
Reply 79
becca2389
I can't think of a single medical school who wouldn't take you if you've resat a module within the two years of A levels. If times have changed and one does then fair enough, but I can't see anyone other than maybe Cambridge (who look at UMs) actually caring much let alone rejecting you solely because of it.

After all, most med schools let you resit exams and even whole years.

I didn't say I wouldn't advise it because you won't get in. I wouldn't advise it because if you resit you're going to have to do more exams at the same time and therefore are going to have to sprend yourself thinner and then you will probably find it harder to get a good grade. Also, getting a very good grade straight off gives you more reassurance later on. Giving my grades for my biology through the year already, I know I will have had to mess up pretty badly in the exam not to get at least a B - it gives you a lot of confidence and makes your life a whole lot easier later on compared to the people who are having to resit all the january exams in june after not getting the A's they require, or worse resitting june exams in january! So you may not find it a disadvantage when you come to apply but it makes you feel more confident in your ability to get them first time and generally makes keeping your grades up at an a lot easier because you haven't got loads of resits to do as well.

Do you see my point? I am no way saying that you're not going to get into med school with resits but it just makes life harder if you don't hit the grades first time.

Latest

Trending

Trending