The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I remember reading somewhere that electrical engineers are the most in demand type of engineer, and consequently the highest paid. I would say maths is quite important for engineering though. Is it that you just don't like maths, or that you find it really difficult?
Reply 2
steerpike
I remember reading somewhere that electrical engineers are the most in demand type of engineer, and consequently the highest paid. I would say maths is quite important for engineering though. Is it that you just don't like maths, or that you find it really difficult?

I've heard the opposite I'm afraid. I read that Chemical and Civil Engineering graduates are the most in demand at the moment, with EE less so. And there'll be plenty of maths on the course, so if you dont like it, then I'd think again about doing it.
Reply 3
i do like maths i just cant do it! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Unfortunately, there is no getting away from the Maths or programming.
I've done two years of C programming, and additional assembly language programming.

I had no programming experience (well, not much) before going to Uni, and it was all taught from scratch.

As for Maths, you will get lots regardless of the type of engineering. EEE isn't actually too bad when compared to the others. EEE has difficult concepts, with medium difficulty maths attached to it.

The biggest problem in my experience is actually understanding what's going on. Unlike most other engineering (eg mechanical, civil), you can't actually see the effects of something too easily. Once you understand the concepts, the Maths is kinda common sense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've written above relates to my course only, and may not relate to other Uni's.
microwave69
I'm totally lost, in all uni prospectuses and websites it all says "oh wow electrical engineers, we need more of them!" is it really true? i like the sound of it but i'm absoloutly failing computing and maths, dont think it matters does it? :confused: :banghead:

ever thought of bein an electrician?
Reply 6
El Pollo Diablo
I've heard the opposite I'm afraid. I read that Chemical and Civil Engineering graduates are the most in demand at the moment, with EE less so. And there'll be plenty of maths on the course, so if you dont like it, then I'd think again about doing it.

I have heard the Civil Engineers will be the most in demand in the next 10 years according to a survey.

Zain
Reply 7
andrew2022

Yaa, I had heard my fellow student say their fathers were electical ENGINEERS where in reality they never went to High school.

Zain
Reply 8
Accirdung to the Times, the best form of Enginnering for getting a job is Civil (quite near the top), followed by Chemical, then General, Mechanical, Aeronautical (all about midtable) with EEE in last but still nowhere near bottom of the overall table

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1114975,00.html

Yaa, I had heard my fellow student say their fathers were electical ENGINEERS where in reality they never went to High school.

Yea. I would guess that about 80% of the UKs population does not actually know what the difference between say a mechanical engineer and a mechanic is :rolleyes:
Reply 9
andrew2022

but i want to design/play with robots and design better versions of mp3s etc i dont want to fix light bulbs :frown:
Do you guys mean electrical or electronic engineering?

Some people call electrical engineers glorified electricians... that's even people who know the proper definition of engineer! They design power distribution systems and electrical and communication infrastructure within buildings up to larger scales.

Electronic engineers are really smart people, they're into minaturisation and design all the gadgets.
microwave69
but i want to design/play with robots and design better versions of mp3s etc i dont want to fix light bulbs :frown:

as fish says, thats electronic engineering.... not electrical

and once a lightbulb breaks, its scrapped and replaced.....
Reply 12
shyopstv
Accirdung to the Times, the best form of Enginnering for getting a job is Civil (quite near the top), followed by Chemical, then General, Mechanical, Aeronautical (all about midtable) with EEE in last but still nowhere near bottom of the overall table

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1114975,00.html

Yea. I would guess that about 80% of the UKs population does not actually know what the difference between say a mechanical engineer and a mechanic is :rolleyes:

Yaa, LOL. Well we are talking about electric engineering as microwave said.

Zain
Reply 13
I want to do Electronic Engneering, but it doesnt have more positive things than other Engneering courses.
Reply 14
Try Civil. It has a lot of demand.,

Zain
Reply 15
The thing its doesnt sound intresting. This guy at school only want to do just because you get a lot of money.

Latest

Trending

Trending