The Student Room Group

One reason why Africa is so ****** up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8119201.stm

Villagers, many straight from their farms, and armed with machetes, sticks and axes, are shouting and crowding round in a big group in Kenya's fertile Kisii district.

I can't see clearly what is going on, but heavy smoke is rising from the ground and a horrible stench fills the air.

More people are streaming up the hill, some of them with firewood and maize stalks.

Suddenly an old woman breaks from the crowd, screaming for mercy. Three or four people go after her, beat her and drag her back, pushing her onto - what I can now see - is a raging fire.

Burned alive

I was witnessing a horrific practice which appears to be on the increase in Kenya - the lynching of people accused of being witches.

I personally saw the burning alive of five elderly men and women in Itii village.

Like medieval Europe, truly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If he/she commited a crime then HE/SHE MUST BE PUNISHED

What i feel we are missing in todays Justice system 10 years for taking someones life WTF!!! Deterent fo' sho
Reply 2
Really didn't know about this.

Oh dear..
Reply 3
Venom123
If he/she commited a crime then HE/SHE MUST BE PUNISHED

What i feel we are missing in todays Justice system 10 years for taking someones life WTF!!! Deterent fo' sho

Did you even read the article?!?!

A bunch of people were burned because a kid had epilepsy. How the **** could that be justified!!!
Reply 4
Enzo-259
Did you even read the article?!?!

A bunch of people were burned because a kid had epilepsy. How the **** could that be justified!!!

Ah i didn't and tbh

You cannot categories Africa as a whole... this doesn't happen in many african countries a small small small minority.
It occurs in small villages such as Kenya, Somalia etc etc. Wouldn't occur in their cities.

This **** can happen in other places - just we see africa as this place where people are backwards
Liquidus Zeromus

If you further evaluate this, the reason why Africa is ****** up is because of lack of education. Lack of education leads to belief in the supernatural and this kind of behaviour takes place where defenceless women are killed.

Then again, lack of education is because the schools are crap, there aren't enough schools, or because children are working instead of being educated.
Why have all this african nations not progressed more and become more civilised. I mean ancient rome had the colloseum and the like, thousands of years ago, and these people still like in mud huts.

Is it a lack of resources or what?
This thing exists today thanks to amongst other things, our, the West's, imperial dominance and exploitation of them in the 19th century, forcing them to economic backwardness that will take centuries to overcome, if it ever can.
DaveParlour
This thing exists today thanks to amongst other things, our, the West's, imperial dominance and exploitation of them in the 19th century, forcing them to economic backwardness that will take centuries to overcome, if it ever can.

Lol, there are a lot more factors involved than that you know.

*waits for "it's capitalism's fault!"*
Reply 9
DaveParlour
Once again.

Despite bringing education, technology, healthcare and all the rest, colonisation made everyone backward.

(Apart from the US, Australia, New Zealand, India, Hong Kong, Canada and the rest...)
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Lol, there are a lot more factors involved than that you know.

*waits for "it's capitalism's fault!"*

Hence the, 'amongst other things', but from an economic standpoint I think it is a, if not the, major factor.

Im not actually a lefty, my views are all over the place but could be said to be focused on capitalism, just our past imperialism with the benefit of hindsight isnt one of these, no matter what benefits it brought us.
Renal
Once again.

Despite bringing education, technology, healthcare and all the rest, colonisation made everyone backward.

(Apart from the US, Australia, New Zealand, India, Hong Kong, Canada and the rest...)

Because sub-saharan Africa is so educated, technologically advanced, and healthy now? We gave them the idea, but economically crippling them has meant very little development in these fields since. Yes, colonisation brought benefits to other areas of the globe, but the methods employed with Africa were, with the benefit of hindsight, not suitable.
Reply 12
DaveParlour
Because sub-saharan Africa is so educated, technologically advanced, and healthy now? We gave them the idea, but economically crippling them has meant very little development in these fields since. Yes, colonisation brought benefits to other areas of the globe, but the methods employed with Africa were, with the benefit of hindsight, not suitable.
Why? What was different?
Renal
Once again.

Surely colonisation should improve a country, especially if it was crap before? Won't it improve trade and infrastructure? Unless it was raped of all its resources? Is that what you mean?
Please explain as I would like to know more about this topic.
Thanks.
Reply 14
WhatawickedDJ
Why have all this african nations not progressed more and become more civilised. I mean ancient rome had the colloseum and the like, thousands of years ago, and these people still like in mud huts.

Is it a lack of resources or what?

Typical lol... how many times have you travelled to Africa?
Reply 15
DaveParlour

South Africa and Rhodesia...
Reply 16
You cannot categories Africa as a whole... this doesn't happen in many african countries a small small small minority.
This **** can happen in other places - just we see africa as this place where people are backwards

This.

I mean ancient rome had the colloseum and the like, thousands of years ago, and these people still like in mud huts.

Egypt also had an ancient civilization - way back. And not all of these people live in mud huts.

Why have all this african nations not progressed more and become more civilised.

This view is a little eurocentric and colonial. It's wrong to judge a different culture by ones own standards. And not all african nations are equally 'progressed' - I wouldn't dare to say they are not more 'civilized'. The picture I get from your statement is that of a totally wrecked continent full of underdeveloped barbarians. I'm sorry, but I cannot agree.

South Africa and Rhodesia...

What do you mean?
Reply 17
moonstruck

What do you mean?

They were both greatly developed by the European colonisers, and now Rhodesia has been.. destroyed, whilst South Africa is a on downwards slope with massive crime rates amongst other things.
Venom123
Ah i didn't and tbh

It occurs in small villages such as Kenya, Somalia etc etc. Wouldn't occur in their cities.

Erm, Excuse me.. Since when is this trend common in Somalia? Proof? :confused:
It's more common in places like Congo/Ghana/Nigeria..
I agree with your main point though..
Reply 19
Paxdax
They were both greatly developed by the European colonisers, and now Rhodesia has been.. destroyed, whilst South Africa is a on downwards slope with massive crime rates amongst other things.

Right. I just wasn't so sure what you ment to say by naming two countries. I serously hope Zimbabwe will get rid of Mugabe one of these days. It's highly unlikely though, right?

Latest

Trending

Trending