The Student Room Group

Choosing my A-Levels

I'm in Year 10 right now, currently taking my GCSEs. Anyway, I'm looking for some advise on which A-levels to think about taking.

Here's a list of subjects that "catch my eye":

Biology
Business
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
Law
Maths
Music
Physics

The Sixth Form I want to get into allows you to take four A-Levels along with an "Enrichment Activity", but they also say that able students can drop that and take a fifth A-Level. I'm planning on getting decent grades, so you think I can persuade them? :smile:

I'm really interested in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. So my first instinct is to choose those, but my main ambition (right now) is to take a University course in Computer Science, so is it worth taking Biology and Chemistry? Maybe as something to fall back on if I change my mind?

There's always the option of getting that fifth A-Level choice, too.

Any advise?

Reply 1
For computer science you need maths. Most uni's like further maths as well. Computing is not essential for the course but if you are planing on doing it at uni then i would take it. Also take a science subject either physics or chemistry. This would keep your options open if you change your mind.
Reply 2
taking biology, chemistry physics and maths will give you lots of work to do. But if you do the work, having those Alevels is really good and will give you lots of choices for careers if you change your mind about computer science.
Remember universities at most want only 3 alevels. I havent seen any that want 4 or more therefore its your choice on weather you want to do more work than you need

hope this helps and good luck in the a levels!
Reply 3
Can you do Further Maths?

If so, this is a good combination:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics <-- Drop for A2
Economics
Computing

(yes, it's mine :cool:). Uni's value Further Maths over Computing for a CS degree. I have a friend who got 5 good CS offers and doesn't do Computer but does do FM.
If the computer science is your thing then a computing A level woudl be useful but not totally necessary, you'd need physics at A2 and for that you'd need maths at A2 also. Most people take 5 to start with and drop 2 at AS (one of them sometimes is the enrichment). I wouldn't put the extra pressure on yourself with 4 or 5 A2s.
Considering everything, I'd go for:
Maths
Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Computing

At AS

Then drop at AS

Chemistry and Biology if you want to do computing
Computing and Physics if you want to do some medical thing
Computing and Biology if you want to do engineering

or make your own mind up for anything else.
Whatever you do dont drop maths if you're continuing phsics or chemistry, they'll fall appart.
Reply 5
Right, so for computer science you need maths. DONT do IT, whatever you do.

If you are doing Bio Chem, Physics and Maths, if you are naturally interested in them and are good at them they are a good selection to do at A level as you can have a very broad range of jobs through them.

However, what i will say is that you might want to consider droping the extra activity thng or whatever it is, and taking something more....arty, like music (if ur any good), or art, or possibly a language, english?

This will show to universitys that you arent just a brainbox and can do something else as well.

Altho i think that the choices you have are a good selection (btw, im in the same year as you and have gone for bio, chem, physics, maths and music)

x
Reply 6
oh btw, when i say dont do computing....my brother and my boyfriend are both IT consultants, and they told me that IT actually hinders, not helps...
Reply 7
i know two people who have got into oxford for computer sciences this year, both did maths, f.maths, computing, physics and chemisty.
You don't even need to think about this yet, sheesh. :grumble:
Can you do Further maths? If you can I'd recommend you do that over biology. Also if I were you I would do four A levels, not 5. Quality over quantity is definately true as long as you are doing 3 or more A levels.
Reply 10
For computer science, all universities will want you to have A-Level Maths. Apart from that, they'll prefer subjects like Further Maths and the physical sciences (Physics, Chemistry, etc.). No university requires Computing, though you may find it useful/interesting; though it's link with computer science at university-level is very limited so don't read too much into it if you do take it.

From that, I'd recommend Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, and if you want to you could do either Biology or Computing. The former would keep your options open whereas the latter would be more interesting to you.
Reply 11
Thanks for all the replies :smile:

I think the Sixth Form I plan on going to counts the two Maths as "one", if that makes sense. You still get two subjects, but when you choose it, you can chose the single option or the double option. Meaning if I choose Maths and Further Maths, it only counts as one subject sort of thing, giving me an extra space :smile:

I'll probably take the three sciences as well, due to my interest in them, leaving me with one more to choose. I'm not overly excited about taking Music or Law at A-Level (although I'm interested in both subjects), so it's a choice between Business, Economics, Computing and Electronics.

If A-Level computing isn't that helpful, then I doubt I'd take it. It'd be pretty interesting, but if it doesn't really cross over well to Computer Science at University then I don't see the point.

What do you think would be more valuable out of Business, Economics and Electronics? I'm interested in them all equally.

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 12
Well guys, things have changed a little bit (knew they would :tongue:)

I've been looking at my sixth-form's prospectus in a lot more detail. My original choice would have probably been Biology, Chemistry, Economics, F/Maths and Physics. But now I'm looking, the Biology course is looking really interesting, and there's not a lot of detail on Chemistry. The Maths and Physics is pretty much guaranteed.

But recently I've had a rising interest in English Literature, so that might be a possibility. I also noticed they have a Philosophy course, which is right up my alley.

What do you think? :smile:
always take solid subjects if you can. that way you can choose to do most things at uni and it makes you stand out. there is too much competition at uni to be taking things like computing and business
Reply 14
NoNamedUser
Well guys, things have changed a little bit (knew they would :tongue:)

I've been looking at my sixth-form's prospectus in a lot more detail. My original choice would have probably been Biology, Chemistry, Economics, F/Maths and Physics. But now I'm looking, the Biology course is looking really interesting, and there's not a lot of detail on Chemistry. The Maths and Physics is pretty much guaranteed.

But recently I've had a rising interest in English Literature, so that might be a possibility. I also noticed they have a Philosophy course, which is right up my alley.

What do you think? :smile:

The most important thing is to take subjects which you will enjoy and do well in. Obviously, you also have to factor in the sort of university courses you can follow with your chosen A-Level subjects.

If you're definitely taking Maths and Physics, then you're set for Computer Science at university. Your other two subjects can be anything you want providing you enjoy them and will do well in them; don't underestimate the latter.

If you want to take English Lit, then take it, and the same goes for Philosophy or Religious Studies. These are all excellent and highly-respected subjects, and they'll definitely broaden your education and also give you more options for after university.

Latest