The Student Room Group

Don't you hate it when people have "RIP ---" as their Facebook statuses?

Scroll to see replies

serrellen
But it is a Catholic thing, and moreover, it's a cliche. The worst thing about cliches is that they cease to have meaning. You're essentially succumbing to convention by putting "RIP" - it requires no thought; it is basically a default.

Does that mean when you get married, or have your first child, you'll attack those who say "congratulations"?
Reply 61
Antonia87
Does that mean when you get married, or have your first child, you'll attack those who say "congratulations"?

I might get a bit mad if I saw it on their Facebook statuses. Cliches are horrendous.
Reply 62
xXMessedUpXx
I do wonder how many people are jumping on the bandwagon. Depending on the average age of those on TSR (i'd put a lot of posters at 15/16) and taking into account the last album MJ had out (before 2001) was History back in 1995-how many were even born when he was at his prime? How many can say they actually spent their youth listening to him?

Obviously many will have been introduced through parents or older siblings but it still makes me wonder?

Its got nothing to do with if you grew up with his music. In the words of Jon Bon Jovi - "If you're going to cite someone as an inspiration, listen to their inspirations".

The bands that I listened when I was younger were all influenced by the likes of MJ who transcended so many musical barriers. I wasn't alive to listen to him in his prime but I still appreciate him for his music and for what he did for music.
Reply 63
It doesn't bother me that much, though its obvious many people putting their statuses like so aren't really putting a whole lot of compassion behind it. It doesn't really mean buggery.
Antonia87

Depends

Was there a Latin equivilent first?
Reply 65
If you really have 'respects' bursting out of you, and you really have a genuine sense of loss, how about articulating your feelings in a short piece of writing or in a diary? That way you get to really exault your feeling of grief. It doesn't have to be pasted all over the place; you can just file it in a drawer safe in the knowledge that someone touched your life and, now, you've given something back.

Alternatively you could just write 'RIP Jacko' on a facebook wall. That way all your friends can see how grief-striken you are.
I'm fed up of people posting the same tribute to MJ (including a blow by blow account of his death, practically to the second) over and over again on facebook. It's clogging up my newsfeed ffs.
fabulous_darling
I'm fed up of people posting the same tribute to MJ (including a blow by blow account of his death, practically to the second) over and over again on facebook. It's clogging up my newsfeed ffs.

Hover over the feed and click hide :wink: problem solved (also works brilliantly for those annoying apps!)
Reply 68
I dont like the use of RIP in general, why not just say Rest In Peace- To me abbreviating it sounds a lot less sensitive or personal. Im also sure more original sentiments could be used which could better emulate how someone feels
I think that, yes it's sad MJ is dead, but I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up over it. I hope people made this much of a fuss when Freddie Mercury died, an infinitely more talented and inspiring musician...

People have over-reacted way too much... I mean like the general public. I'm probably the only person on my Facebook without "RIP Jacko best musician EVER!!!" or some variant in their status. Best musician ever is clearly Matt Bellamy or Mike Portnoy ¬_¬

Most people probably don't genuinely give a ****. I loved his music, but he wasn't a friend, or a family member, so I don't feel an ounce of sorrow. The Sickipedia jokes came rolling in within 30 mins of confirmation though... my mate read out some poor attempts last night lol.

On the subject... don't get me started on the media response to Jade ******* Goody...
Reply 70
I don't mind when it's someone you actually know. Like one of my friends has RIP nanny as hers because her grandmother died recently. But for people you don't know...it's a bit pathetic. I got a ridiculous amount of hate for having "does not understand why people are posting RIPs about someone who was a racist, they didn't even know personally, and didn't like pre-cancer" as my status when Jade Goody died...
Reply 71
Nick_000
Yes. I also hate it when people wear black armbands and observe one minute silences.

Why?
I like the sentiment of a one minute silence, as it is supposed to be used to remember/think of those involved in whatever it is for.
serrellen
But it is a Catholic thing, and moreover, it's a cliche. The worst thing about cliches is that they cease to have meaning. You're essentially succumbing to convention by putting "RIP" - it requires no thought; it is basically a default.

Ok, so it is a Catholic thing, but tbh I couldn't care less.
For me, 'Rest In Peace' is not a cliche and that's why I put it on my facebook status.
Reply 73
SomeStudent

For me, 'Rest In Peace' is not a cliche and that's why I put it on my facebook status.

You can't just say "For me" and use that to negate a fact.

"For me, calling someone a n*gger isn't racist."
"For me, Josef Fritzl is an example of a good parent."
"For me, Obama's election isn't a landmark in US history."

Facts aren't subjective, and RIP being used to the extent where it is a tired, hackneyed cliche is a fact.
Reply 74
Just shut up all those people moaning about people having rip in their Status it is
none of your business to say what people should and shouldn't have in their status, absolute bellends
Reply 75
AsphyxiateD

People have over-reacted way too much... I mean like the general public. I'm probably the only person on my Facebook without "RIP Jacko best musician EVER!!!" or some variant in their status. Best musician ever is clearly Matt Bellamy or Mike Portnoy

Haha, and this comment started off so well as a general statement about saying something like 'best musician EVER', which of course is a silly thing to say about Michael Jackson, great as he was.

Mozart, Beethoven, Charlie Parker, Rachmaninoff, Charlie Christian, BB King...the drummer from Dream Theatre. Not sure, but perhaps there's an odd one out there...
serrellen
You can't just say "For me" and use that to negate a fact.

"For me, calling someone a n*gger isn't racist."
"For me, Josef Fritzl is an example of a good parent."
"For me, Obama's election isn't a landmark in US history."

Facts aren't subjective, and RIP being used to the extent where it is a tired, hackneyed cliche is a fact.

What I meant was when I put up 'Rest In Peace...' I really meant it. I don't see it as a cliche (I don't care even if it is), that's what I wanted to write so I wrote it.

If you're really annoyed by your friends putting up RIP MJ, delete them.
Reply 77
People are bumming him now he's dead, it will be interesting to see how many of them are actually fans of his music...
Reply 78
KingPin
Why?
I like the sentiment of a one minute silence, as it is supposed to be used to remember/think of those involved in whatever it is for.

Hmmmm, the sarcasm was glaringly obvious too.
fabulous_darling

Lol definitely this.

some gimp's status on my fb... stayed up till quater past 6 in the morning. she watched the news from half ten until then mourning the death of the king of pop. he was my second biggest hero after elvis of course and god rest his soul <3Michael Jackson R.I.P August 29, 1958 &#8211; June 25, 2009&#9829; about an hour ago · Comment · Like

:lolwut: a PARAGRAPH. your life story is not needed.

i'm indifferent to people grieving over Michael Jackson.. let them do what they like, but some people just take the biscuit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending