The Student Room Group

Not doing Higher English?

What are people's thoughts on this? Has anyone done this before/is it an option? My school, for the first time, are not making higher english mandatory. I had a careers interview and asked why and apparently it's because it is no longer a strict requirement for all unis, and it is specifically to benefit prospective medicine/dentistry/vet med applicants, whose strengths may lie in maths/sciences, and their higher english result will let down an otherwise strong set of higher grades.

I'm hoping to apply to vet medicine, and would never have considered not doing higher english, it just seems to be one of those subjects you NEED. However, edinburgh and glasgow were both contacted and said it is not necessary for a vet med course (nor for medicine in any scottish unis, although glasgow said for dentistry at least a C pass is necessary). I have the option of not doing english and doing history instead (done int 2 this year, it's a subject I really really enjoy, and think I can do well in). Tbh, it's something I never considered until I realised I would need 3 AHs in sixth year, and therefore wouldn't be able to pick up history again, which I will miss! Also, if that meant I could take it as an AH (would it be viewed well by unis or are they only interested in the sciences?), then that would benefit me, because I'm unsure about AH physics, considering it's a crash higher this year. I'm pretty good at english anyway and am predicted a good SG pass, it's just the higher course will obviously be much more challenging, and if I have a better chance of an A doing history...

What are everyones opinions? Both on not doing higher english in general, and my specific situation.
Reply 1
if someone is 100% certain that by not having higher english it wouldn't disadvantage their university application in any way and assuming they aren't that great at english and think they can do better in other subjects then I think they would be wise not to take it. Lots of courses want english though - business, art, law, history, philosophy.. pretty much everything apart from maths, science and technology related courses.

with regards to your situation, i don't think it really matters if you choose history or english since you hope to apply for vet medicine so go for what you want. Also do you really need three advanced highers? I was reasonably certain that most scottish universities only want AH Chemistry and Biology for vet medicine.
Reply 2
Higher English is extremely hard to pass with an A.
I would strongly recommend that you take 5 highers that you will feel confident in so to get your 5 highers at 5th year, then pick up English in your 6th year.

And three Advanced Highers? Have you considered the workload? I would seriously rethink this - do some research but I'm sure two will be more than enough!
Reply 3
xo-Heva
Higher English is extremely hard to pass with an A.
I would strongly recommend that you take 5 highers that you will feel confident in so to get your 5 highers at 5th year, then pick up English in your 6th year.

And three Advanced Highers? Have you considered the workload? I would seriously rethink this - do some research but I'm sure two will be more than enough!

Higher english can be difficult to get an A in, but it's entirely subjective on the individual: lots of people, for example, struggle much more with the sciences. However if you don't enjoy english as much as what you would take in it's place, then seriously consider not doing it. You've researched whether it will affect uni so that should be fine, but bear in mind that if for any reason you decide to change your career plan (e.g. apply for different uni course) then it could be an issue. Higher english is generally a very well respected higher and you may find not having it could be (unfairly IMO) a disadvantage e.g. in applying for part-time/summer jobs etc. before you graduate. Don't be put off just because people go on about the perceived difficulty - it's perfectly manageable with the right preparation and hard work throughout the year.

As for three advanced highers - no they're not always required unless you're applying to an english university, but I know that conditional offers are given on 2AHs for vet med by edinburgh and glasgow. Everyone I know (including myself) who did 3AHs enjoyed the mix of people and the closeness of the group which developed in each class - my sixth year would have been a much less enjoyable experience without any of my AH classes. The workload, while yes it is high, is good preparation for uni (especially for courses e.g. med/vet med/law etc) and the depth that the courses goes into means that you're really to think and not just regurgitate what you've been taught.
Reply 4
My school encourages another essay subject if you don't take English. My best friend is reluctant to write essays so she took History as it is an Essay subject but she's interested in the topics and the Essays have more structure.
Reply 5
Although English may not be required, I am sure it must look good to the admissions team as it is the subject with the lowest pass rate, however History is equally difficult, and is an essay subject so I am sure you will be fine doing that. I wouldn't recommend dropping english for a less academic subject, but you aren't just trying to get out of working so it will be fine!
I attempted higher English in 5th year, but with my brother being taking in to hospital at that time, I failed it. (I'm not blaming it on him, but it was very sudden since we were told his op would be after my exams)

Anyway, when i chose to re-sit it in 6th year, I struggled and asked to do Int-2, even though I got a 2 at Standard Grade. Personally that was the best decision I made, since it allowed me to focus on my subject specific grades for Uni, which I did get.
Thanks for the replies :smile: Ah it does seem feasible to not take higher english, but I've been clearing out stuff and reading over old essays, made me realise I do actually like the subject and hopefully can do okay in it! Plus, like someone said, just in case I do change my career plan, it's always good to have a backup. And, if I start it then decide it's proving too difficult/too much work, I can drop it and take history (shouldn't be too hard to catch up as long as it's earlyish in the year I'm hoping). Sorted :smile:

And with regards to AHs, yeah, Glasgow and Edinburgh only require biology and chemistry, but I'm planning to apply to english unis (Cambridge, and one other which I haven't decided, maybe Bristol) and for that I need 3. It'll be a hell of a lot of work but needs must, and I'm hoping the courses will be interesting!
If you don't take it now, and wish you had later on, you could always take that one course at night in college?

Its not the end of the world.
Reply 9
I'm sure you'll be fine, I want to do Biology at Stirling, and the minimum I need is a credit pass @ SG, but if you get a good pass in it, that will defo look good on your certificate. I'll probably be doing 3 essay subjects (English, History and MS), so my hand will fall off by the end of the year ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending