The Student Room Group

AS Choices!

Hi,

Basically, I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish next year for AS. I *think* I want to do Medicine at university or something sciencey, so that's why I've got lots of the sciences in there. However, I really love learning languages so in the future I might want to study them at university instead. (If I did, I think it would be Spanish and a Middle Eastern language like Russian or Arabic or Spanish and Linguistics). That's what sounds interesting at the moment anyway!

So, if I wanted to study languages at a top university, would I be at any disadvantage if I only had 1 language A Level and the rest sciences? No other arts or language A Levels.

(By the way, I have French, Spanish and Latin GCSE and will be getting the results this summer).

Reply 1
I don't think you will be at a disadvantage at all. As along as you keep a clear focus on your interest and enthusiasm for languages in your personal statement, you'll have as much chance as anybody else of getting into a language course. If you're applying to take up an entirely new language alongside spanish, make sure to mention in your personal statement maybe how you've already acquired the absolute basics of the language and find it really appealing etc and perhaps read in translation some major literary work in that language. Of course, if you have to go for an interview, that will be a perfect opportunity to display your passion for languages. Hope this has been of some help :smile:
Reply 2
erm... i don't think so.

But you'd better check with the universities first. I think oxbridge want two languages. However, you sound dead clever so when you get A*'s in you're GCSE languages, and if you decide in Year 12 you actually want to do languages you should be able to pick another one up easy. Good luck :smile:

(ooh, but do check with universities first, it's by far the most sensible thing to do!)
Reply 3
I dont think you would be disadvantaged, however a word of caution, Spanish at A level is ALOT harder then at GCSE like insainly harder, not to put you off though. On the plus side uni is only as hard as A levels or so i hear.
Reply 4
htuck
Hi,

Basically, I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish next year for AS. I *think* I want to do Medicine at university or something sciencey, so that's why I've got lots of the sciences in there. However, I really love learning languages so in the future I might want to study them at university instead. (If I did, I think it would be Spanish and a Middle Eastern language like Russian or Arabic or Spanish and Linguistics). That's what sounds interesting at the moment anyway!

So, if I wanted to study languages at a top university, would I be at any disadvantage if I only had 1 language A Level and the rest sciences? No other arts or language A Levels.

(By the way, I have French, Spanish and Latin GCSE and will be getting the results this summer).

Russian is definitely not a Middle Eastern language, but apart from that, well, technically, your GCSEs and A-Levels combination are fine, but if you want to apply to top unis, then I think most applicants will have two languages and your lack of art subjects is a tad suspicious (History or Lit/Lang would be good art A-Levels). Tbh, if you want to learn Russian or Arabic at uni, I'd seriously advise you to do another language at A-Levels so that you see if you can cope with easy grammar before learning real hardcore grammar and to give you good basis with learning foreign languages at more difficult level. Most of my friends have learnt between 2 and 3 languages at A-Levels level or better, and you clearly see who can cope with Russian or Arabic or not (it's not always the case, obviously, but those with only another language are struggling a bit more than those with 2+ languages).
Reply 5
19becky91
erm... i don't think so.

But you'd better check with the universities first. I think oxbridge want two languages. However, you sound dead clever so when you get A*'s in you're GCSE languages, and if you decide in Year 12 you actually want to do languages you should be able to pick another one up easy. Good luck :smile:

(ooh, but do check with universities first, it's by far the most sensible thing to do!)

:no:

Only if you want to study two languages at post A-Level standard.

Latest

Trending

Trending