The Student Room Group

Realigning my jaws.. painful?

Hey guys!

I went to my orthodentist last tuesday and was told that I need a jaw realignment (my bottom jaw is smaller than my upeer jaw) and have to put braces for 18 months. I didn't expect that I have to have a jaw-realignment for me to have braces(first aim).

I am so scared at the moment and can't decide whether to undergo a surgery or just have this unaligned jaws for life. My mom is so worried that I might lose my lips' feelings and frankly told me that she can't see me in pain and stuff ( and I hate it as well i she worried to much but my dad is like no comment). So basically she's hinting that I shouldn't take this surgery.

However, behind these problems, is the more improved appearance and possibly more confident me. Hm..

So guys, have you had a jaw-extension surgery? What were your experiences? Please share it to me. Please.
Reply 1
I had this surgery in December, and I'm going to be truthful, when I share my experience, so here goes....

Well for me it's been a loooooooong treatment. I had brace treatment started when I was 14 (late 2004) and am now 18, with another month left to go. And one has to have a further 6 months of specific treatment before they do the op itself.
I had to have my wisdoms wipped out under general first. That was in March. The main operation I stayed in for two nights. By this time it was December, so you get the idea...this isn't as quick a fix as you'd think. I lost a lot of blood and had a scarely low blood pressure, however these were kind of due to me and so aren't regular. At first it's not that bad- the first hour I was still knocked out afterwards, then I came round and had almost constant suction due to the blood flow. After that I managed to spit out the blood into a bowl. At this point I couldn't acknowledge the swelling and was in little pain as I was on codeine, paracetamol and patient-controlled morphine, which I used ALOT.
By the next morning I could be assisted by the nurses to the toilet (was still on what they call a 'Step-down' unit) where I saw the swelling. Basically my face has zero shape and my lips were somewhat discoloured. I also couldn't feel anything in my mouth or around my chin or lips, due to the local anaesthetic and nerves affected.
It was only when I was taken off the morphine after around 24 hours that the discomfort set in- my face continued to get bigger for several days and the best description I could give is that I looked like Quagmire off Family Guy. No joke.
I hadn't eaten for 48 hours by the time I got home on day 3 but frankly I didn't feel like it. I was nauseaus and dribbling blood for a further 3 days and could barely stand. I was also constipated due to drugs and couldn't communicate to anyone, hence from day 2 onwards I just sort of cried, though it was more just like eye-leakage due to the lack of facial movement.
It really was just extremely runny liquids for atleast two weeks, because apart from anything else, I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get food in. I total I lost about 3/4 of a stone and am yet to gain all of it back. For the first week post-op, once the anaesthetic was wearing off I found sleeping through the night difficult and would awake sobbing, so my dad would literally cover my face in ice packs to soothe the pain. And for the first week I couldn't even bare to look at myself in the mirror.

Two and a half months later I had only just begun chewing very gently again, wasn't allowed to play sports and cannot feel half of my chin. I couldn't still not fully open my jaw and my gums were taught from where the stitches only fell out a little while ago.

I now am just a month away from completed treatment and I couldn't be happier. I'm still careful with eating very hard foods and occasionally get a jaw ache, but very mild. I also still have a tiny amount of reduced sensation on one side of my chin and lip but I barely notice that.

Despite all the this I do not regret having the op, as my teeth are aligned and various side effects of my overbite have now disappeared. However it was a horrible process and involved a lot of crying and discomfort, moreso than pain. The swelling takes a while to come down too.

I'd say think carefully as to whether you really want this doing- I had a rather miserable Christmas due to it and missed 2 weeks of school on top of the holidays, plus tonnes of days for lengthy appointments. Oh and I had to wear loads of red elastic bands to stop my opening too wide.

So yes....a brief account of my op. Feel free to ask away...
I was offered some form of jaw-breaking surgery before I got a brace. I'm not sure what it was for exactly, but my orthodontist just said I COULD have it rather than needing it.

Will your orthodontist still give you a brace if you decline the surgery? Looking at Luce-eeeee's account above, I'm very very glad I didn't agree to it :p:
catastrophe_
Hey guys!

I went to my orthodentist last tuesday and was told that I need a jaw realignment (my bottom jaw is smaller than my upeer jaw) and have to put braces for 18 months. I didn't expect that I have to have a jaw-realignment for me to have braces(first aim).

I am so scared at the moment and can't decide whether to undergo a surgery or just have this unaligned jaws for life. My mom is so worried that I might lose my lips' feelings and frankly told me that she can't see me in pain and stuff ( and I hate it as well i she worried to much but my dad is like no comment). So basically she's hinting that I shouldn't take this surgery.

However, behind these problems, is the more improved appearance and possibly more confident me. Hm..

So guys, have you had a jaw-extension surgery? What were your experiences? Please share it to me. Please.

Hmm do you have overbite? I didn't need to have surgery, my orthodontist made a special brace which slid my bottow jaw forward a little bit, and over a few months (8 or 9) it went into place. Im not sure exactly what it was called, but ask him about that.
Reply 4
Solid_Snake_100
Hmm do you have overbite? I didn't need to have surgery, my orthodontist made a special brace which slid my bottow jaw forward a little bit, and over a few months (8 or 9) it went into place. Im not sure exactly what it was called, but ask him about that.

Twin-block?
I had that for about 3 months and it caused me so many problems and shaped my face quite unattractively... I'm far happier with the result I got from the op, especially since with the twin-blocks, there's so many adverse effects during treatment (that I experienced, atleast) such as poor speech (to the point of my own teacher mocking me/ shouting at me for my inpediment, on the first day I got it) and there's also alot more chance of the jaw sliding back.

Personally, having tried both, I'm far happier with the treatment I eventually chose, and the one awful week after the op was so worth it :biggrin: I get so many compliments about my jaw now, and some nice stories to talk about (plus some impressive swelling pics :P)

Don't let me scare you with either treatment experiences- everyone is different and respond differently, and I wish you all the best in your treatments.
Reply 5
I had a very similar operation, my teeth didn't bite squarely and I had an overbite.

Best thing I ever did, and I had my braces from 17 - 20 so it was an awkward time - I got ID'd a lot if bouncers saw my teeth. I didn't have much pain at all, and was only on liquids for about 10 days before I moved onto mash and tofu.

Have a teeny spot where I have no feeling on my lower lip but it's smaller than a 1p coin so doesn't bother me. Any other questions, just quote me and I'm happy to help :smile:
Reply 6
Luce-eeeee
I had this surgery in December, and I'm going to be truthful, when I share my experience, so here goes....

Well for me it's been a loooooooong treatment. I had brace treatment started when I was 14 (late 2004) and am now 18, with another month left to go. And one has to have a further 6 months of specific treatment before they do the op itself.
I had to have my wisdoms wipped out under general first. That was in March. The main operation I stayed in for two nights. By this time it was December, so you get the idea...this isn't as quick a fix as you'd think. I lost a lot of blood and had a scarely low blood pressure, however these were kind of due to me and so aren't regular. At first it's not that bad- the first hour I was still knocked out afterwards, then I came round and had almost constant suction due to the blood flow. After that I managed to spit out the blood into a bowl. At this point I couldn't acknowledge the swelling and was in little pain as I was on codeine, paracetamol and patient-controlled morphine, which I used ALOT.
By the next morning I could be assisted by the nurses to the toilet (was still on what they call a 'Step-down' unit) where I saw the swelling. Basically my face has zero shape and my lips were somewhat discoloured. I also couldn't feel anything in my mouth or around my chin or lips, due to the local anaesthetic and nerves affected.
It was only when I was taken off the morphine after around 24 hours that the discomfort set in- my face continued to get bigger for several days and the best description I could give is that I looked like Quagmire off Family Guy. No joke.
I hadn't eaten for 48 hours by the time I got home on day 3 but frankly I didn't feel like it. I was nauseaus and dribbling blood for a further 3 days and could barely stand. I was also constipated due to drugs and couldn't communicate to anyone, hence from day 2 onwards I just sort of cried, though it was more just like eye-leakage due to the lack of facial movement.
It really was just extremely runny liquids for atleast two weeks, because apart from anything else, I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get food in. I total I lost about 3/4 of a stone and am yet to gain all of it back. For the first week post-op, once the anaesthetic was wearing off I found sleeping through the night difficult and would awake sobbing, so my dad would literally cover my face in ice packs to soothe the pain. And for the first week I couldn't even bare to look at myself in the mirror.

Two and a half months later I had only just begun chewing very gently again, wasn't allowed to play sports and cannot feel half of my chin. I couldn't still not fully open my jaw and my gums were taught from where the stitches only fell out a little while ago.

I now am just a month away from completed treatment and I couldn't be happier. I'm still careful with eating very hard foods and occasionally get a jaw ache, but very mild. I also still have a tiny amount of reduced sensation on one side of my chin and lip but I barely notice that.

Despite all the this I do not regret having the op, as my teeth are aligned and various side effects of my overbite have now disappeared. However it was a horrible process and involved a lot of crying and discomfort, moreso than pain. The swelling takes a while to come down too.

I'd say think carefully as to whether you really want this doing- I had a rather miserable Christmas due to it and missed 2 weeks of school on top of the holidays, plus tonnes of days for lengthy appointments. Oh and I had to wear loads of red elastic bands to stop my opening too wide.

So yes....a brief account of my op. Feel free to ask away...

One word to summarise your experience: Bravery! And I really adore individuals like you who undergo to this processes for your own improvement. But unfortunately, I dont have the guts to do it.

I have been thinking of it lately and I am not sure whether to go for it or just live with this for the rest of my life. Im in year 12 and I really need to go to school, play sports, have a social life (no offence) and go to work. I need to get my grades and don't want them to slip. But thanks for your little life story anyway.

I will inform you about my decisioin when I meet my dentist (not the ortho).

Thanks!
Reply 7
Quail
I was offered some form of jaw-breaking surgery before I got a brace. I'm not sure what it was for exactly, but my orthodontist just said I COULD have it rather than needing it.

Will your orthodontist still give you a brace if you decline the surgery? Looking at Luce-eeeee's account above, I'm very very glad I didn't agree to it :p:

I asked him about it but he said no. I should take the operation + the braces. But I'll talk about this matter with my dentist (not the ortho) that I should only have the braces and not the surgery. And my dentist might be able to persuade my ortho not to have the jaw-smashing operation.

BTW, what's the difference between an underbite and overbite? Thanks!
Reply 8
catastrophe_
One word to summarise your experience: Bravery! And I really adore individuals like you who undergo to this processes for your own improvement. But unfortunately, I dont have the guts to do it.

I have been thinking of it lately and I am not sure whether to go for it or just live with this for the rest of my life. Im in year 12 and I really need to go to school, play sports, have a social life (no offence) and go to work. I need to get my grades and don't want them to slip. But thanks for your little life story anyway.

I will inform you about my decisioin when I meet my dentist (not the ortho).

Thanks!

Oh bless you :smile:
Honestly, it's not too bad, apart from what I called the week of hell. But honestly, after 8 days I went to school to play timpani in a concert (whilst under the influence of codeine) and didn't feel too too terrible.
I also did this in my final year of sixth form, with art, english and psychology coursework, 2 January exams and UCAS- if you really rest if for two weeks, then the recovery isn't too bad or disabling. And smoothies become appealing after the first week :P
Also, the surgeons consult with you to pick a time which will not interfere with your life (usually long holidays such as Easter or summer, though mine at Crimbo meant no Christmas Dinner :frown: )

I hope you make the right decision for you and feel free to ask me anything.

All the best :smile:
Reply 9
Solid_Snake_100

twin-block..

But it is hideous. You can't speak properly and I can't have that at the mo due to me being elected as headboy - need to speak lots.

@rant:I don't know. I really just want the braces. No operation.
Reply 10
Luce-eeeee
feel free to ask me anything.

Do you have a boyfriend?

Me jokes..

The best time to have this operation would be after Year 13. As what I said in my other post, being the head boy meant that I have to speak a lot and represent my school in activities.

I don't know really what I should do. I will consult my dentist first but really I don't want to have an operation and stuffs. The braces are fine but operation, big no no.. Too much risk. I could die due to the proximity of the operation with one of the important nerves. Am I exaggerating?
catastrophe_
twin-block..

But it is hideous. You can't speak properly and I can't have that at the mo due to me being elected as headboy - need to speak lots.

@rant:I don't know. I really just want the braces. No operation.

hmm, I had this when i was 11/12 so I guess its a different situation for you
Reply 12
Solid_Snake_100
hmm, I had this when i was 11/12 so I guess its a different situation for you

kinda... i should've had this when I was young.
Reply 13
Hey,
I'm wondering if you guys could help me I am quite stuck at the moment... I went to the dental hospital today after being referred by my orthodontist. I was told that I have an overbite and they said that jaw realignment surgery was an option either that or getting braces on the top teeth and wearing a retainer in the long term (they didn't specify how long.) and there is a chance it won't stay straight I've really got to admit I cried like a baby when I heard the news :frown:

I'm studying travel and I'm really keen about working in it either cabin crew or travel agent. I feel really held back with my speech and really hate the appearance of my teeth, I don't want the appearance of my face to drastically.
Should I put a brave face on and get it done or explore other options??

Latest