The Student Room Group
Reply 1
In my experience, no.
I tried waxing

It doesn't remove all of the hairs, so I end up shaving anyway. It doesn't leave my legs smooth. It leaves horrid gunky gel all over my legs. The gel irritates my skin. They don't give you enough cleaning wipe thingies. It takes aaaages and it hurts (not really bad but a little).

Conclusion: waxing equals fail

(And its more expensive than just buying a razor)
I've started to be swayed by the constant ads as well. Damn you, Maslow.
Reply 4
They're not awful, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Reply 5
I'm surprised by the number of people saying they don't work, they're great for me. If I shave my legs they're stubbly again by the end of the day but waxing keeps them smooth about a week, it's awesome :smile:
i think that it would be better to just go to a proper waxing place to be honest...
I agree with most people here they are ridiculous. Im being swayed by the constant recommendations from people on here about good quality epilators - no gunk, not too bad pain, lasts like a week or more, cheaper etc.
Reply 8
Jennie1987
I agree with most people here they are ridiculous. Im being swayed by the constant recommendations from people on here about good quality epilators - no gunk, not too bad pain, lasts like a week or more, cheaper etc.

Definitely go for an epilator, you'll get used to the pain and eventually the hair just stops growing. I do my pits once a week on average but I could definitely get away with not doing it for much longer, it's given up trying to grow. S'good.x
em165
Definitely go for an epilator, you'll get used to the pain and eventually the hair just stops growing. I do my pits once a week on average but I could definitely get away with not doing it for much longer, it's given up trying to grow. S'good.x

And apparently you should use a cream for ingrown hairs is that right?
Nup i tried it and it was crap your better just buying a tub of wax
Reply 11
Jennie1987
And apparently you should use a cream for ingrown hairs is that right?

I've recently got Nad's Ingrow Solution as someone on here recommended it, I've only used it once but it seemed to do the trick. There was another one too which was a cream but that sounded more like an exfoliator whereas i think this one is slightly acidic to allow the hair to push through. You just spray it on and it's got a water like consistency.
So yeah would be the answer to your q!!
Reply 12
Anyone got any recommendations for good epilators then?
RedKitty
Anyone got any recommendations for good epilators then?

Havent used yet but mines a blue braun silk epilator kit in a pink box as i researched it and hands down it seemed the best - it was around £50 but it comes with stuff and is apparently v.good so seemed a fair price then going cheaper and having to buy it anyway cos the cheap one is rubbish. Plus cheaper than waxes and new razors and blades for the length of time they last.
em165
I've recently got Nad's Ingrow Solution as someone on here recommended it, I've only used it once but it seemed to do the trick. There was another one too which was a cream but that sounded more like an exfoliator whereas i think this one is slightly acidic to allow the hair to push through. You just spray it on and it's got a water like consistency.
So yeah would be the answer to your q!!

Thanks, that spray sounds way better!
Reply 15
ladydeborah
I tried them years ago with not much success, but has anyone tried them recently? Keep seeing the ad on tv!

OP if you defo want to try waxing then there's another veet one you should go for. I can't remember exactly what it's called but I used it for aaaaaaaages before I got my epilator and it was by far the best one I've had. It's a pot of wax and you get about 10 strips with it, just shove the wax in the microwave and it's soluble [sp?] so you can keep reusing the strips if you wash them and if you get wax everywhere it just comes off really easily. The only prob is that it's pretty hard to manoevre yourself but that's obv gonna happen with every waxing thing at home. It was about 9quid when I first got it and it lasts months. Sorry I can't remember the exact name but if you looks in boots or wherev it'll be pretty obvious x
I'd rather get mine done properly, I don't have the guts to pull it off!
Thanks everyone! I think i'll stay away from the veet strips. May try an epilator again. I had the ice one before and couldn't hack the pain, wasn't as quick as getting a wax!
i really didn't get on with the wax strips
but i found that the body shop's sugaring roll on wax works really well, the roll on meant that i wasn't making it too thick and it didn't go everywhere

it lasts for a while as well if i can remember right

it does go a bit red after you use it but that goes away after a couple of hours, i would recommend a patch test though it you are using it for the first time
Reply 19
home waxing = bad. Just go to a salon.
I have never tried epilating - have heard mixed reviews. Plus, where does all the hair that you epilate go? In the machine (which you then have to clean out/empty)? On the floor?

Latest