Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Ask the Speaker

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Ask the Speaker.

This thread is for asking questions of the Speaker publicly. It can be used then to find out how the Speaker would interpret a part of the constitution where the meaning is ambiguous so that they can't try and cheat you in any way.

As a side note, please keep politics out of here. This thread is for constitutional questions. The Speaker will not be answering anything about their personal beliefs.

This thread was originally created by ex-Speaker DayneD89.

The current Speaker of the House of Commons is Faland.
    The current Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons is Toronto353.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dayne when are you accepting manifestos for the barman election and what criteria must candidates be (MP/ non MP) ?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be asking for manifesto's next week and we will go from there. Its more convention that only MPs are allowed than real rule. I can't see anything in the constitution to limit me from using my discretion in this so I'm going to allow non-MPs to stand, though this will be at my discretion. IE I wont allow someone who has only rarely used the HoC to run, but anyone who has been an active member will be allowed.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Less than half of the MPs voted for you, and you're widely considered to be a complete moron. With this in mind, how much of a mandate do you think you have?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even going to respond to that. Whether opr not you like me I have been voted in and I'm going to do the job.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, none?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I'm not responding to that. Think what you want.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    As I said, I'm not responding to that. Think what you want.
    I know someone who likes your thinking on this subject.

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    :giggle:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grape190190)

I know another.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oh and you're pretty good at it too.

Dayne will you be investigating the possibility of banning certain people from the house?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dayne will you be looking into the certain possibility of increasing the size of the house?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Will you be looking at reducing the large amounts of mostly pointless drama that seems to surround everything vaguely related to the speaker?
    • 14 followers

(Original post by Indievertigo)
    Dayne will you be investigating the possibility of banning certain people from the house?
    just to point out for this that local bans are really hard to get, people have to abuse a forum a lot to get one. and it has to be decision from the moderation team (globals and above), so a lowly forum assistant won't really get much headway with this. plus the HoC is supposed to be inclusive to everyone.
    unless site rules are being broken chances of having people banned from this forum are highly unlikely. though dayne could veto MP's as he's leader of the MP group.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grape190190)
    So you think winning a vote 23-13 is the same as a puppet election, simply because 9 MPs didn't bother to vote. Since the election didn't have a 50+% requirement, getting more votes than the other candidate gives you a mandate, regardless of your (or indeed my) views on the matter.

(Original post by Collingwood)
    Will you be looking at reducing the large amounts of mostly pointless drama that seems to surround everything vaguely related to the speaker?
    A-****ing-men.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ Grape

(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Dayne will you be looking into the certain possibility of increasing the size of the house?
    This has failed at the ballot box has it not?

Dayne, will you look at whether the 66% rule for amendments is something that could be changed? Or is that something for us to vote on (with a 66% threshhold )
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    There is no real way to do that. We don't run like the MUN so I don't really have the power to keep anyone out.

(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Mp's voted not to increase the size. Unless amendment passes to make it bigger it stays at 50.

(Original post by Collingwood)
    hopefully we can all just get on with business, but certain members are always going to try to create drama.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Dayne, will you look at whether the 66% rule for amendments is something that could be changed? Or is that something for us to vote on (with a 66% threshhold )
    Its something I didn't like at first. I'm now starting to like it. I'm still wondering if it should be in the new constitution or not. I may put that to a vote.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is this signature not representing a falsehood?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=85438

"Thatcherism didn't work" is a statement, a fact - but its about a subjective thing, therefore it's false.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Is this signature not representing a falsehood?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=85438

"Thatcherism didn't work" is a statement, a fact - but its about a subjective thing, therefore it's false.
    A subjective thing isn't false in the same way it isn't true. It's an opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    A subjective thing isn't false in the same way it isn't true. It's an opinion.
    So the signature is perfectly acceptable?

I know it's not an outright lie, because its obviously an opinion - but it is misleading and based on no facts. But I'm not sure to what extent that is cared about on TSR.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    So the signature is perfectly acceptable?

I know it's not an outright lie, because its obviously an opinion - but it is misleading and based on no facts. But I'm not sure to what extent that is cared about on TSR.
    It's no more misleading than saying "Thatcherism Works". :p:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 16, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.