Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Ask the Speaker

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Sure, because I was really referring to that.
    You quite obviously were. You quoted a picture of him, and then laid out the differences between Dayne's election and a "puppet election" - as if only someone with an Oxford degree could be perceptive enough to distinguish between Dayne winning an Internet poll with a minority of the votes and Ahmadinejad rigging a presidential election and shooting dead the people who protest about it.

Oh thank you, Meester Drogue. Where would we be without your powers of reason?

*yawwwwwwwwn*
    • 14 followers

(Original post by Grape190190)
    You quite obviously were. You quoted a picture of him, and then laid out the differences between Dayne's election and a "puppet election" - as if only someone with an Oxford degree could be perceptive enough to distinguish between Dayne winning an Internet poll with a minority of the votes and Ahmadinejad rigging a presidential election and shooting dead the people who protest about it.

Oh thank you, Meester Drogue. Where would we be without you powers of reason?

*yawwwwwwwwn*
    at least this election wasn't rigged :ninja:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    In that case it is, mainly because i cant be involved in debate. I know it isnt a case of me and you in a wider sense though. Im part of the House as well.
    It's not a case of you and the rest of the House in any situation. Your role is integral to the processes of the House and should not be separated from the party politics either. We all know fully well where you stand on issues so the pretence of independence and non-partisanship is somewhat nonsensical. You're as independent as Dafydd Elis Thomas is.
    • 14 followers

(Original post by Adorno)
    It's not a case of you and the rest of the House in any situation. Your role is integral to the processes of the House and should not be separated from the party politics either. We all know fully well where you stand on issues so the pretence of independence and non-partisanship is somewhat nonsensical. You're as indepedence as Dafydd Elis Thomas is.
    sorry completely off topic but Dafydd Elis Thomas is a really nice bloke, he's the President of Bangor University. i've had many a meeting with him. though he quite often gets sidtracked and talks in welsh. took me about 30 seconds to realise he's switched!

he does manage to switch the impartiality on and off very quickly. I bet he moans about me being english scum when I'm not talking to him :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    sorry completely off topic but Dafydd Elis Thomas is a really nice bloke, he's the President of Bangor University. i've had many a meeting with him. though he quite often gets sidtracked and talks in welsh. took me about 30 seconds to realise he's switched!

he does manage to switch the impartiality on and off very quickly. I bet he moans about me being english scum when I'm not talking to him :p:
    I do like D.E.T. as well! So much nicer than Ieuan Wyn Jones or Dafydd Wigley. Hehe.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    My policies dont matter though as I'm not going to be biased by them.
    • 14 followers

I do like D.E.T. as well! So much nicer than Ieuan Wyn Jones or Dafydd Wigley. Hehe.
    Dafydd Wigley and generally people from Caernarfon scare me somewhat. mainly because I went there drinking one night and nearly ended up getting stabbed because I spoke english. but when they speak its so very very harsh and makes you feel like you're tiny and insignificant.

but Ieuan Wyn Jones and the anglesey (yns Mon) lot are lovely. I saw him in Beumaris in the ice cream parlour of all palces. but i've never actually spoken to the man for more than 5 seconds, i was geting introduced to everyone because of the work I did withteh students' union when we had our University Court (AGM style thing)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My policies dont matter though as I'm not going to be biased by them.
    Oh but they do; because, unlike Dan, you are not perceived as neutral. Few of us know Dan's loyalties; we all know yours. Now isn't the time for a disengaged, self-exiled speaker.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh but they do; because, unlike Dan, you are not perceived as neutral. Few of us know Dan's loyalties; we all know yours. Now isn't the time for a disengaged, self-exiled speaker.
    Yes, you do know where I stand. My point is that where I stand wont impact on my running of the House.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dafydd Wigley and generally people from Caernarfon scare me somewhat. mainly because I went there drinking one night and nearly ended up getting stabbed because I spoke english. but when they speak its so very very harsh and makes you feel like you're tiny and insignificant.
    It's North Walians though, they're a bit scary because the culture has been so individualised outside of the quarrying areas - and indeed uni cities like Bangor. I need to go to Caernarfon in the summer, the thought of it fills me with dread!

but Ieuan Wyn Jones and the anglesey (yns Mon) lot are lovely. I saw him in Beumaris in the ice cream parlour of all palces. but i've never actually spoken to the man for more than 5 seconds, i was geting introduced to everyone because of the work I did withteh students' union when we had our University Court (AGM style thing)
    He's not as nice as Helen Mary Jones and the southern lot though. She's really lovely and is far more palatable to a southern audience than is old Ieuan. You're lucky with your contacts through the SU, I met Alan Duncan and Daniel Hannan in our SCR. :o:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you do know where I stand. My point is that where I stand wont impact on my running of the House.
    That's not my question or my point though.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's not my question or my point though.
    what is your point? That its not me against the House? I know. I'v said that I will try to maintain order by moderating more than I would like to if I feel it is needed.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who likes your thinking on this subject.

Spoiler:
    Show

Can you please just get on with something more useful than having petty fights with everyone?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Can you please just get on with something more useful than having petty fights with everyone?
    I do. But I need something for the gaps on lazy Sundays.

And it's not everyone. Just most people.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair man, I don't want the speaker to be my ******* dad or my politics teacher. This game is what it is because of its combatants MPs and other contributors, not because of the rules or the arbitration; If those partaking in it decide they want to bicker (or, indeed, mercilessly rub each other to climax) then that's how the game is. The idea of "order" in the house is like when the annoying, ginger, speccy **** joins in the game at school and starts complaining that everyone's breaking the rules.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    To be fair man, I don't want the speaker to be my ******* dad or my politics teacher. This game is what it is because of its combatants MPs and other contributors, not because of the rules or the arbitration; If those partaking in it decide they want to bicker (or, indeed, mercilessly rub each other to climax) then that's how the game is. The idea of "order" in the house is like when the annoying, ginger, speccy **** joins in the game at school and starts complaining that everyone's breaking the rules.
    Ah, I was just trying to goad the speaker into joining in :p: Some anarchy in the House ... :woo: A good start would be jacking in the constitution and forgetting amendments and just throwing up bills. I was thinking of presenting one - if I can find a sponsor - which would seek to abolish Britain's armed forces. For the the Ss & Gs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason some people want an active Speaker and an end to "petty fights" is that they tend to lose aforementioned fights.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which is roughly the equivalent, in this house, of losing the "who smells more" game in Y3.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself. I could give Cameron an intellectual pasting at PMQs.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself. I could give Cameron an intellectual pasting at PMQs.
    Your arrogance has no limit does it? If you were to stand up in parliament and do your usual obnoxious "pasting" quoting marx and keynes you'd be laughed out of there as if there were nitrous oxide taps pouring out the gas. At which point you'd then start (assuming you didn't begin with them in the first place) with your insults. Intellectual pasting indeed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 22, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.