The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It was English lit and lang for me.
I just memorised a load of things that examiners look out for, and picked random quotes from the text.
And *********** a lot of stuff.
I got an A and a B
Ben77mc
I don't think English requires any effort at all.

All you do is make things up

I disagree.

I think English Literature requires a fair bit of effort. The idea of sitting for around two hours writing essays requires effort. It may be easy (as your whaffling) but it requires effort.
Reply 42
Of the subjects I did, probably Astronomy and Business Studies were the easiest. For Astronomy I basically memorised facts (and not that many of them) and regurgitated them; for the coursework I drew a picture of the Moon (much of which was traced rather than drawn freehand) and filled in an observation chart showing its phases over the course of a few weeks. The exam was a complete piece of pi**.

Business Studies was likewise largely memory-based with a handful of longer questions where you had to apply knowledge to a given situation.

Italian, which I did this year, was arguably easier for me personally but that's because languages are my kind of thing. The reading and listening papers in particular were of a standard you might expect of a not-very-bright ten-year-old on the Continent studying English.

As for the people who say maths requires the least effort - yes, of course it's easy if you have a gift for it, but I think if we want to be objective about this we need to assume no particular talents for anything. I struggled with maths no matter how hard I tried; it's a subject where you have to decide what knowledge needs to be applied and use it to work stuff out, whereas with some subjects all you do is regurgitate facts, no actual processing or application is needed.
Maths and French.

Art was possibly one of the hardest tbh, especially the exhibition.
Reply 44
none..every sub needs ur labour
maxfire
It was English lit and lang for me.
I just memorised a load of things that examiners look out for, and picked random quotes from the text.
And *********** a lot of stuff.
I got an A and a B

I thought English was difficult, so I spent days reading through the anthology and set text (bloody Catcher in the Rye) and making sure I knew what kind of thing the examiners would ask for and all that stuff. I got 2 A*s. :tongue:
Reply 46
Aelred
Of the subjects I did, probably Astronomy and Business Studies were the easiest. For Astronomy I basically memorised facts (and not that many of them) and regurgitated them; for the coursework I drew a picture of the Moon (much of which was traced rather than drawn freehand) and filled in an observation chart showing its phases over the course of a few weeks. The exam was a complete piece of pi**.

Business Studies was likewise largely memory-based with a handful of longer questions where you had to apply knowledge to a given situation.

Italian, which I did this year, was arguably easier for me personally but that's because languages are my kind of thing. The reading and listening papers in particular were of a standard you might expect of a not-very-bright ten-year-old on the Continent studying English.

I would hate Astronomy as a GCSE, yet I'd like to study it at Uni.
At GCSE level, it seems far too simple, and I could do well in an exam now, without even doing the subject
Reply 47
emmielociraptor
I thought English was difficult, so I spent days reading through the anthology and set text (bloody Catcher in the Rye) and making sure I knew what kind of thing the examiners would ask for and all that stuff. I got 2 A*s. :tongue:

In all honesty, no one REALLY likes a show-off.
maxfire
In all honesty, no one REALLY likes a show-off.

In all honesty, you started it :rolleyes:
Reply 49
emmielociraptor
In all honesty, you started it :rolleyes:

...I answered the thread. lol. idiot.
Reply 50
maths, r.e, ict, german

these 4 for me
RE. It's all your own opinion.
And maths and sciences must have really low grade boundaries, I didn't understand any of it and came out with good grades.
Drama media and re
RE probably, half of my answers were just waffle!
Reply 54
NONE ! I have such a bad memory, Maths was probably the hardest.
Nothing to remember for Art in the exam... (except to bring everything) but the coursework was a pain and feel I didn't do it very well!
Maths!!
im so academic
Name them. :smile:

how old are you? Have you just done your GCSEs then :confused:
Biology, Chemistry, German and English.
I found RE the easiest, whilst maths and the sciences were by far the hardest. RE and citizenship definitely required the least effort for me.
Reply 59
Maths

Latest