The Student Room Group

People with nut allergies...

Basically how do you deal with it?

Before now, I have very minor reactions to nuts, such as feeling ill, sometimes shaky, and a tickly throat- which I associated with a nut allergy even though I have never been diagnosed.

Last night, however, I ate some satay chicken, not realising it contained nuts, and had to be rushed to A & E.

I felt sick, I was shaking, blood shot eyes, swollen face and tongue, making it difficult to breath and swallow. To me that was terrifing, but according to the doctors, my case was only mild! I'd be horrified to have to suffer with anything else and truely sympathise with those who do now...

Scroll to see replies

I keep away from anything with nuts.
Anything which says "may contain nuts" I usually eat unless it is in the ingredients.
I have an epipen which I have to carry around with me all the time incase I accidently eat one. It can get annoying but it's a small price to pay to save a life.
I ate a nut when I was 3 (which was the when we discovered my allergy) and I basically couldn't breathe at all. Very scary.
Have you got an epipen too?
Reply 2
LittleMissSunshine5
I keep away from anything with nuts.
Anything which says "may contain nuts" I usually eat unless it is in the ingredients.
I have an epipen which I have to carry around with me all the time incase I accidently eat one. It can get annoying but it's a small price to pay to save a life.
I ate a nut when I was 3 (which was the when we discovered my allergy) and I basically couldn't breathe at all. Very scary.
Have you got an epipen too?

I could never eat anything that said 'may contain nuts' cause if I thought it might do, I'd always taste them.

No, not yet, the people at the hospital didn't give me one but the nurse who looked after me at the start said if they didn't then I should go to my GP and see if he'll give me one. They've also given me Piriton :confused: I didn't really consider this anything to do with nut allergies tbh.

What's having an epi pen like?
My bf does but its very slight, he gets itchy hands and they go red as well, he once accidentally ate a cornetto not realising they had nuts and he felt ill and sick for the rest of the day and the day after. I dont think he has/needs a epi pen since it doesnt affect his breathing i just dont eat nuts or chocolate bars with nuts in when he's around. And make sure i clean brush my teeth thoughly.
Reply 4
Yeah I have an epipen but I've never had to use it, as long as you eat the things you've been eating all you're life and you're fine with you'll be fine. When trying something you haven't tried before just read the ingredients. If it says "May contain nuts" or "May contain traces of nuts" it's probably fine, but be careful if it says "Made using factory equipment previously used to manufacture nut products" because that can sometimes be a problem.
manx1991
I could never eat anything that said 'may contain nuts' cause if I thought it might do, I'd always taste them.

No, not yet, the people at the hospital didn't give me one but the nurse who looked after me at the start said if they didn't then I should go to my GP and see if he'll give me one. They've also given me Piriton :confused: I didn't really consider this anything to do with nut allergies tbh.

Nope you can't taste them, because they don't even have nuts in, I think they legally need to say that to cover themselves as they are manufactured near nuts and there could be the slightest chance that the tiniest trace got in...but even if that did happen...I doubt it would have any effect.
Yeh piriton is an antihistamine, which reduced the effects of allergic reactions.
An epipen is basically in this tube which you inject into your thigh if you have eaten a nut. It contains adrenaline (I think) but the needle looks kind of big that I'm terrified at the thought of using it.
I have an epipen :yy:
Found out when I was a little kid, and I ate some peanut butter, spent the night in intensive care after that, and have never eaten them since.
Reply 7
manx1991

Piriton is an anti-histamine, takes down the swelling. I was given a couple by a paramedic last year- I was visiting friends and ate an ice cream dessert which had been sprinkled with some kind of nut...

Despite telling everyone that I had a nut allergy, no one told me it had nuts in it... Gutted is not the word :s-smilie:

I've had the allergy since I was quite young (an incident with a cake, a bad reaction, and a carpet cleaning bill at my mum's work) but it's not severe enough for an EpiPen, as I've always avoided eating them, like asking in restaurants for an ingredient list, checking the back of packets, that sorta thing.
Reply 8
Most restaurants (especially chains) are good about knowing what foods contain nuts, if the menu doesn't specify just ask the waiter and they should be able to tell you.

All packaged foods should be labelled with allergens
Reply 9
fourleaf
Piriton is an anti-histamine, takes down the swelling. I was given a couple by a paramedic last year- I was visiting friends and ate an ice cream dessert which had been sprinkled with some kind of nut...

Despite telling everyone that I had a nut allergy, no one told me it had nuts in it... Gutted is not the word :s-smilie:

I've had the allergy since I was quite young (an incident with a cake, a bad reaction, and a carpet cleaning bill at my mum's work) but it's not severe enough for an EpiPen, as I've always avoided eating them, like asking in restaurants for an ingredient list, checking the back of packets, that sorta thing.

How bad would be considered bad enough for it then? They did give me adreneline last night...
Reply 10
Wow, more or less the exact same thing happened to me, except I didn't go to A&E. I never realised mine was that serious either.

Pretty sure it is serious enough to have an epi pen, my doctor prescribed me one, anyway.
If you have a nut allergy at all you should carry EpiPens as the severity of the reaction can alter very quickly.
Just a note for people with nut allergies:

I read about a girl with a nut allergy who died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich.

Beware of ways you may ingest nuts other than directly through consumption :P

Edit: Put in link
I found out I have a very high sensitivity to peanuts a couple of years ago when I tried a mini Snickers for the first time and my throat became incredibly sore and my eyes puffed up. I didnt even realise at the time that I was having a reaction, I just thought I'd got really ill really quickly for no apparent reason. Got an EpiPen

It was really weird suddenly having this allergy after 14+ years of not knowing about it, but I was kinda shielded from peanuts because my brother's allergy to them was discovered when he was a toddler so we've never had them in the house or anything.

I'm scared of what a future reaction could be like, as it may be a whole lot worse than the first one...

So yeah much the same story as some of you guys really.
manx1991

Before now, I have very minor reactions to nuts, such as feeling ill, sometimes shaky, and a tickly throat- which I associated with a nut allergy even though I have never been diagnosed.

Last night, however, I ate some satay chicken, not realising it contained nuts, and had to be rushed to A & E.

I felt sick, I was shaking, blood shot eyes, swollen face and tongue, making it difficult to breath and swallow. To me that was terrifing, but according to the doctors, my case was only mild! I'd be horrified to have to suffer with anything else and truely sympathise with those who do now...

I have a severe allergy but not to nuts...to cheese! You'll have to avoid nuts at all costs...buying pre-packed sandwiches needs to become a thing of the past!

The epi pen would be a smart move, as would ensuring that a couple of your close friends know you have a serious allergy and know what to do in an emergency. When you're eating out, if in doubt...check! A lot of places use groundnut oil and it's possible/pretty likely that you'll react to this as well.

Good luck!
Reply 15
Lamasamaka
Just a note for people with nut allergies:

I read about a girl with a nut allergy who died after kissing her boyfriend who had eaten a peanut butter sandwich.

Beware of ways you may ingest nuts other than directly through consumption :P

Edit: Put in link

Yer I read that the day before I had the reaction! But my boyfriend usually has chocolate bars with nuts in... I just go 'urghh' but not really had a reaction... as of yet :eek:
Reply 16
manx1991

Before now, I have very minor reactions to nuts.......

Damn. There goes a blowjob then...
Reply 17
belfast_DJ
Damn. There goes a blowjob then...

Knew that would come up :rolleyes:
Reply 18
:devil: Only a matter of time lol
Reply 19
manx1991
How bad would be considered bad enough for it then? They did give me adreneline last night...

I'm not sure really, but I've never been prescribed an Epi-Pen. I've never asked for one because I didn't think my allergy was as severe as certain sufferers. Maybe I should ask the doctor? :s-smilie:

Latest