The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CwSj
Aren't you a little biased towards the BTEC though?

Maybe so, but that's what the majority of employers in my area wanted, so I decided to do a BTEC when applying for college in Year 11.

If someone wants to go to uni, go ahead and do 5 A-levels, that's what they're for.
I thought I'd go on a mad dropping subjects rampage post-AS.
Nuh-uh.
Basically, I tried it and just got as bored as this: :bored:
I do hope you understand now :smile:
Because my school made me. However I took 8 AS's of my own free will.
Reply 23
IGX_RSV2
Maybe so, but that's what the majority of employers in my area wanted, so I decided to do a BTEC when applying for college in Year 11.

If someone wants to go to uni, go ahead and do 5 A-levels, that's what they're for.

Fair play :smile:
Reply 24
jinglepupskye
Or they don't have any other life than their academic work. Which is sad actually.

or alternatively we may want to achieve in life, you should try it some time.
Reply 25
nikita_atikin
They didn't let anyone take 5 A levels in our school for next year which I think is unfair but I'm not complaining. I suppose they do look good on your CV provided you do other things outside of school.

mehhh what do you mean by other things out side of school?
I took 4 A-Levels (I know it's not five) and I think I understand why. You can genuinually enjoy subjects at AS and not know which one to drop. You take them all on and as long as you balance the work load, it can work out brilliantly. Those who specifically take 5+ A-Levels purely for university admissions are crazy :P
3A's would be enough to get into Oxbridge as I know a couple who got in with those grades, however people who do 5 A-levels tend to be at the top of elite private and grammar schools or they are amazingly natural.
CwSj
Because 4.5 isn't challenging. Also, I love my subjects... If my school would let me I'd be doing 3 more :frown:

I'm doing 5.5 for the record, but one was a hobby.

And what's the hobby just out of interest?
Perhaps because they are interested in learning about a wide range of subjects or want to challenge themselves - and there's nothing wrong with that :smile: But as only 3 A Levels are needed to get into university, I personally don't think it's worth getting stressed out over doing 5 subjects to full A Level. But that's just me - perhaps it wouldn't stress some people out at all!
Reply 30
... because we like the noradrenaline rush from the stress 2 weeks before exams :]
PCS
mehhh what do you mean by other things out side of school?

They mean extra-curricular activities, such as a sport or musical abilities. Also, Duke Of Edinburgh, Young Leaders Award, any sort of scheme like that that will look good on your CV/personal statement.

Any sort of work experience is also what they are looking for, depending on what course at uni you're looking at (e.g.Working at an animal rescue centre is good if you want to enter a Vet course).

Oh, I personally think 5 is too much. I've done 4 AS exams and plan on dropping 1, next year. Too much work, see. But if some are willing to do 5 A-levels, then I say let them. If they're willing to work hard, then there should be no problem at all.
IGX_RSV2
They probably think its going to look better on a CV.

I know of places that routinely screen out those bragging about their A's on CV's, they want people with practical skills, not a bookworm.

So.... those places think that the better academics someone has, the less practical skills they have? Well that's ridiculously illogical.
Reply 33
People who act like those who take lots of subjects are mostly just doing it for the admissions tutor, and have no life, have the exact wrong attitude that those who do take lots of subjects for the admissions tutor have. The single most important reason for taking any subject, whether it's your first A Level or your sixth, should be that you enjoy it and have an interest. If you take extra subjects because you're trying to impress, then that's wrong, but I think the majority of people don't do it for that. And if you choose to miss out on a subject that you would have enjoyed because you know universities don't care, then that's just as bad a decision. And another thing, people who take lots of subjects aren't crazy or amazing. They might be clever and hardworking, but people sometimes treat them like aliens. :ninja:

/rant
Reply 34
Because clearly everyone here are geniuses...
I'm intelligent and I only chose 3, I wouldn't be able to cope with 4 or 5, it doesn't mean i'm stupid, or lazy, just normal.
Reply 35
Flabberglasted
They mean extra-curricular activities, such as a sport or musical abilities. Also, Duke Of Edinburgh, Young Leaders Award, any sort of scheme like that that will look good on your CV/personal statement.

Any sort of work experience is also what they are looking for, depending on what course at uni you're looking at (e.g.Working at an animal rescue centre is good if you want to enter a Vet course).

Oh, I personally think 5 is too much. I've done 4 AS exams and plan on dropping 1, next year. Too much work, see. But if some are willing to do 5 A-levels, then I say let them. If they're willing to work hard, then there should be no problem at all.

tbh that sort of extra activies are not always relevant and thus not needed, a friend of mine got in to compsci at cambridge with no out side skill other than a very good knowledge of programming.
Reply 36
Jonty99
So.... those places think that the better academics someone has, the less practical skills they have? Well that's ridiculously illogical.

Not really, I guess the employers in my area had some bad experiences with those people.
PCS
tbh that sort of extra activies are not always relevant and thus not needed, a friend of mine got in to compsci at cambridge with no out side skill other than a very good knowledge of programming.

Didn't Cambridge recently announce that it now purely relies on academic qualifications and the personal statement merely provides a point of reference for the interview...

Edit: Source - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6307170.ece
Future Doc
Didn't Cambridge recently announce that it now purely relies on academic qualifications and the personal statement merely provides a point of reference for the interview...

Edit: Source - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6307170.ece

Cambridge published a statement saying the PS is used in response to that article, but in the prospectus (or alt. prospectus) they say it doesn't have much influence. I think that's a good point of view - anyone can lie and talk rubbish in their PS.
PCS

Hmmm, I don't know. Many employers want to see appliacants that stand out, generally, and doing those extra-curricular activities is one way to do that. Doing work experience is also one way of showing the uni that you're dead interested in the subject, thus increasing your chances of being accepted. Also, doing music up to grade 6, can net you 50 or something (I forget exactly) UCAS points.

Anyways, congrats to your friend on getting accepted to Cambridge. I suppose it depends on your chosen course.

Latest