The Student Room Group

Warwick/Birmingham...which course??

Hi guys :smile:

I've just finished my final year in Maths (major) with Business Management (minor) at University of Bham and got a 2-1 Hon...now wanting to do a postgrad masters

Can anyone give me any specific advice on how to choose the right masters? I've read the articles on this site, which are pretty good but I don't know how to narrow it down from the several courses available. I know I want to do it locally, either at Bham/Warwick...and I know I want to do something in business/finance...

Totally stuck and need to apply asap :confused:
Well, assuming this is basically an academic choice (since you've picked the universities), I'd tot up all the courses available to you in those two universities, have a look at the modules, and work out which seems most interesting to you based on your undergraduate experiences. If you've already done all that, I'm not quite sure what else to suggest - what aspect of the choice are you struggling with? What are your options?

PS - nothing to stop you applying for as many courses as you like, so since as you say time is pressing, you might as well apply for several different courses on the shortlist and defer the final decision until after you have your offers.
Reply 2
Narrowed it down to...

Warwick:

MSc in Management Science & Operational Research
MSc in Finance and Economics
MSc in Finance
MSc in Economics and International Financial Economics
MSc in Economics and Industrial Organisation
MSc Business Analytics & Consulting
MA in Globalisation and Development
MA Management & Organizational Analysis

Birmingham:

MSc International Business
MSc International Business, Economic Competitiveness and Policy

I still have no idea...all of these courses seem good to me so I think the decision point is really...what will give me the most commercial advantage on graduation (or later down the career line)

I'll probably apply to both at bham and a few at warwick...but how to choose?
Reply 3
OK.
MSc in Finance and MSc in Finance and Economics are run by the Warwick Business School
MSc in Economics and International Financial Economics and MSc in Economics and Industrial Organisation are run by the Economics Department of Warwick.

It really depends on what you want, as WBS's master in Finance or F&E seem to be a partner of CFA and may be good if you want to be a CFA in the future.

Remember, a GOOD foundation of maths is always beneficial and favourable towards a Economics degree, so I think you have a good chance.

Latest

Trending

Trending