The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

my Imperial College interview

well i went up to imperial college in london today for an interview for a 4 year theoretical physics course (MSci)... it wasnt really an interview, more of a Q&A session and a tour, but still it was interesting. so here's my opinion on imperial after seeing it first-hand (points in no particular order)

pro:
impressive research record/friendly professors
excellent facilities (labs/computers/sports etc.)
nearby to museums/galleries etc (ie a pro of being in london)
nice accommodation (at least for the first years) in a classy area.
highly-paid jobs (supposedly) freely available for summer work
year in europe as part of the course (id want to go to germany) sounds VERY cool!
good nightlife (id expect!) with big clubs etc.

cons:
crappy 60s architecture
noise/bustle/pollution/crime of london life
anonymity of living in a big city/student body
so many international students (it seemed like 50% or more!!).
expense
only guaranteed IC accommodation for the first year
26% female (arrrrrrrrrrgh!!) on physics course. although hopefully there will be lots of ladies doing bio/med etc. to make up the numbers :confused:
the physicists there seemed kind of geeky (ah well i suppose thats to be expected!) and shy

summing up i think IC has probably moved from choice #3 to #2 primarily because of its international reputation for excellence, leaving my current preferences thus:

#1 oxford
#2 IC
#3 durham

thoughts anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for that useful post edders! :smile: And good luck.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Adhsur
Thanks for that useful post edders! :smile: And good luck.

well i was given an offer (as was everyone in my group of people) there and then. :smile:
Reply 3
edders
well i was given an offer (as was everyone in my group of people) there and then. :smile:

Woweeee, blow them away with their intellect and charm why don't you :wink: What was the offer?
Reply 4
Ah yes, IC has a fantastic physics course, good choice :biggrin: Plus if you come here, I'm sure you'll soon enough get used to (and really like) the chaotic environment - and you'll have plenty of things to do if you do come to London. As for the 'geekiness' - my brother goes to imperial (electronic engineering) and he found plenty of non-geeky people to hang around with so I wouldn't worry about that :smile: Another advantage is that lots of renound companies come searching at imperial to find people for future jobs after they finish their degree!

Sounds like you are likely to be getting an offer - normally when they do those sorts of "Q&A sessions" and tours, it is more to try and persuade you to see that IC is the place for you, rather than seeing if they want you or not. Good luck anyway!
Reply 5
Adhsur
Woweeee, blow them away with their intellect and charm why don't you :wink: What was the offer?

its an unconditional offer as ive already done my alevels
Reply 6
edders

Yeah, they always do that. so does bristol. if you get an interview, you're in.
Reply 7
oh oops, just read you already have an offer - no surprise there!
Reply 8
edders
its an unconditional offer as ive already done my alevels

Oh doh! You can't blame me for forgetting, I'm tired. :smile:
Reply 9
hey thanks for the advice lucy :smile:
Reply 10
elpaw
Yeah, they always do that. so does bristol. if you get an interview, you're in.

ah ic. you applied last yr elpaw?
Reply 11
Lucy
Ah yes, IC has a fantastic physics course, good choice :biggrin: Plus if you come here, I'm sure you'll soon enough get used to (and really like) the chaotic environment - and you'll have plenty of things to do if you do come to London. As for the 'geekiness' - my brother goes to imperial (electronic engineering) and he found plenty of non-geeky people to hang around with so I wouldn't worry about that :smile: Another advantage is that lots of renound companies come searching at imperial to find people for future jobs after they finish their degree!

Sounds like you are likely to be getting an offer - normally when they do those sorts of "Q&A sessions" and tours, it is more to try and persuade you to see that IC is the place for you, rather than seeing if they want you or not. Good luck anyway!

Rep for you! :smile:
Reply 12
Imperials my 1st choice and I'm really scared I'll muck up the interview. Is it true that the interview is nearly all subject/knowledge based?
Reply 13
Kuz
Imperials my 1st choice and I'm really scared I'll muck up the interview. Is it true that the interview is nearly all subject/knowledge based?

if you read my original post properly youll see the extent of my knowledge of the matter
Reply 14
edders
ah ic. you applied last yr elpaw?

yes i did apply, they were my insurance choice. i applied for phys with a year in europe (italy)
Reply 15
Adhsur
Rep for you! :smile:

Wow, thanks! You almost doubled my total rep count :eek: Will return the favour when I have some more to give :biggrin:
Reply 16
Lucy
Wow, thanks! You almost doubled my total rep count :eek: Will return the favour when I have some more to give :biggrin:

do you really think ad needs more rep? :rolleyes:
Reply 17
elpaw
do you really think ad needs more rep? :rolleyes:

LOL! Gosh, someone's a bit green :smile:
Reply 18
elpaw
yes i did apply, they were my insurance choice. i applied for phys with a year in europe (italy)

i think that is my situation along (oxford 1st IC 2nd) with 5 of the other 6 people that were there lol (#6 being cam #1)
did you need all that maths you learnt?

love Katy ***

Latest

Trending

Trending