The Student Room Group

PhD The Early Process, Application and Interview advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
hi there,
i got an invitation from Birmingham uni for MA Socia Work test and interview
pls does anyone out tthere has any information for me concerning what to expect at the test and at the interview.
thanks
Has anyone here had to write a one page PhD proposal?

I'm trying to do one at the moment and it's quite difficult to condense everything onto one page
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there.
I'm a psychology master's student. My research direction is cultural psychology and stereotypes. If you are interested please fill up this short survey looking at impressions management. It includes viewing a CV and answer some questions about your impressions. It would take no more than 10 minutes and you might find it interesting!
This research will be used in my masters dissertation.

http://survey.ex.ac.uk/start/impression
I'm going to start my phd next year so everyone who have questions can ask me. I'll try my best to answer
Reply 443
Hi, I am thinking to apply Phd however idk if I should write research proposal differently for each college application? I am thinking to apply international relations Phd I have int relations ba and international management masters thank you
Original post by nsly
Hi, I am thinking to apply Phd however idk if I should write research proposal differently for each college application? I am thinking to apply international relations Phd I have int relations ba and international management masters thank you

It depends, if it is the same subject you have to only tweak your research proposal.
PhD proposals should strongly feature the strengths of the student and the place of research. To say they are competitive is an understatement. Your application needs to be perfect in as many ways as possible even to get to the final decision commitee. About 60-70% of applications don't get through the initial screen and remember that the people who ultimately make the decision may only have a passing knowledge of the science involved.
Hi, if I did a PhD it would be life-science based; two of my MSc exams are marginal fails and will show on my transcript as I was not allowed to re-sit having acheieved an overall module pass. If I was to apply for a PhD, would my application be rejected with these types of grades visible on the transcript? I have mixed results at present but am still hoping for a distinction with a final module and project.

I'm not decided whether or not to do one but wanted to find out more information regardless.
Reply 447
Do universities reject PhD applicants with not-so-great undergraduate records? I'm on my way to get a distinction for my MA at UCL, but got a 2.2 for my BA in another university. How detrimental is this going to be for my application?
Reply 448
Original post by Debazer
Do universities reject PhD applicants with not-so-great undergraduate records? I'm on my way to get a distinction for my MA at UCL, but got a 2.2 for my BA in another university. How detrimental is this going to be for my application?

It depends on the supervisor.
Reply 449
to be honest, i didnt do very well at the begging of my master, so my grades arent the best; is this important for getting into a phd?
Reply 450
Has anyone applied (whether this year or in previous years) to Imperial to study Bioinformatics?
Is writing to current PhD students to ask to see their proposals a valid thing to do?

After all, each subject, each institution and each prospective supervisor has their own preferred format and style of writing. This makes it quite difficult if the only information I have is vague guidelines and anonymous samples pulled off the internet from other candidates for other universities to study other things.

I also don't really have any personal guidance to fall back on here since I've not been at uni for 5 years and so I can't ask a friendly tutor for any help or feedback. Going directly to the supervisor seems like a bad way to proceed here too. Last time I didn't get any remotely helpful feedback (which was given sparingly and extremely grudgingly) until the third draft (!) once the rest of my application had already been rejected.

Like I say, I've already ballsed this up once before by taking a shot in the dark, writing only using the official, extremely vague instructions.

Therefore, should I write to current PhD students where I want to study and ask for a copy of their proposal?
Original post by abominablefunk
Is writing to current PhD students to ask to see their proposals a valid thing to do?

After all, each subject, each institution and each prospective supervisor has their own preferred format and style of writing. This makes it quite difficult if the only information I have is vague guidelines and anonymous samples pulled off the internet from other candidates for other universities to study other things.

I also don't really have any personal guidance to fall back on here since I've not been at uni for 5 years and so I can't ask a friendly tutor for any help or feedback. Going directly to the supervisor seems like a bad way to proceed here too. Last time I didn't get any remotely helpful feedback (which was given sparingly and extremely grudgingly) until the third draft (!) once the rest of my application had already been rejected.

Like I say, I've already ballsed this up once before by taking a shot in the dark, writing only using the official, extremely vague instructions.

Therefore, should I write to current PhD students where I want to study and ask for a copy of their proposal?

It's worth a try, but don't expect anything in return.
The FindAPhD fair holds this week in Oxford, Cambridge and Sheffield.

https://www.findaphd.com/events/findaphd-live/?ct=473

It will be a great place to meet Universities reps and current PhD students in a hub where you can discuss about research interests, funding opportunities, a researcher's life and all the bits and pieces that comes with a PhD research. Cranfield University will be there and current PhD students as well. Are there interviews done as a process of obtaining a PhD offer -yes this is almost inevitable. I had a couple of interviews at Cranfield, thankfully successful, so I can share my experience in person (or here!).

Hopefully, see you there!

Best,
Cranfield TSR Rep.
I just wondered if this thread was still alive?

I am looking for some information - I have two research proposal idea's - They are very similar just simple idea's and concepts changed. I was wanting to talk these through with a potential supervisor once I have applied to my PhD position but I wondered if it would be worth putting it into my application that I have two ideas or waiting to meet them to discuss this?

I am looking at doing a Textile Design practice based PhD in Liverpool/ Manchester!

Thanks
Original post by emilyyyyyyxo
I just wondered if this thread was still alive?

I am looking for some information - I have two research proposal idea's - They are very similar just simple idea's and concepts changed. I was wanting to talk these through with a potential supervisor once I have applied to my PhD position but I wondered if it would be worth putting it into my application that I have two ideas or waiting to meet them to discuss this?

I am looking at doing a Textile Design practice based PhD in Liverpool/ Manchester!

Thanks

Each discipline seems to have a slightly different approach. I'm applying for art history, so I'll tell you want I would do in your shoes. I would email the supervisors you'd like to work with before applying with your two ideas and see if they're interested in them, and if they have a recommendation on which might be more sensible to pursue, or if they could be combined. I would do this before applying because this will impact your proposal. Good luck!
Will you always have to give a presentation?
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to contact a potential supervisor for your PhD?
I have already written my proposal and want to send it to a few people to see if anyone is interested. I'm really struggling and would appreciate any tips or advice!
Original post by gee7894
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to contact a potential supervisor for your PhD?
I have already written my proposal and want to send it to a few people to see if anyone is interested. I'm really struggling and would appreciate any tips or advice!

What's your subject?
Original post by artsytype
What's your subject?

my subject is psychology

Quick Reply

Latest