The Student Room Group

PhD The Early Process, Application and Interview advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Hello, I'll be starting my Masters degree next year (English Literature) and I intend to then apply for a PhD. Does anyone know how much effect the classification of your undergraduate degree has when applying for PhD? I'm on track for a 1st and my coming exams aren't worth a massive percentage of my grade, so is a point higher or lower going to make much of a difference to my PhD application?
Original post by Psypher
Hello, I'll be starting my Masters degree next year (English Literature) and I intend to then apply for a PhD. Does anyone know how much effect the classification of your undergraduate degree has when applying for PhD? I'm on track for a 1st and my coming exams aren't worth a massive percentage of my grade, so is a point higher or lower going to make much of a difference to my PhD application?

I got a 2.1 at Undergrad and I found applying for PhD positions during my MSc hard, I have since spoken to potential supervisors who turned me down and they said it was because they had a lot of people with firsts.

The moment I got my MSc (which was a good one) and was lining up my dissertation to be published, the offers started to roll in, and I ended up in a situation where I had many to pick from.

So I think it does matter, until you have something better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sevendaughters
Thanks very much. Won't hear for a little while yet. Which department are you in?

Linguistics and English Language. I also had to bite my nails for ages to hear about funding, but it was a worthwhile wait!
Original post by amandabanana
Linguistics and English Language. I also had to bite my nails for ages to hear about funding, but it was a worthwhile wait!

hey can I ask you, what uni are you studying at ? I have a friend interested in Linguistics and I'm looking for recommendations :tongue:
Original post by *Corinna*
hey can I ask you, what uni are you studying at ? I have a friend interested in Linguistics and I'm looking for recommendations :tongue:

I'm at Lancaster Uni. It's number 1 in the UK for the subject this year :biggrin:
Reply 125
I find it helpful. Thanks.
Original post by amandabanana
I'm at Lancaster Uni. It's number 1 in the UK for the subject this year :biggrin:

really? I heard it's good but I thought Cambridge was No1.
Original post by *Corinna*
really? I heard it's good but I thought Cambridge was No1.

Yes we JUST got bumped on the latest tables. Now it's No. 3 behind Oxbridge...still not too shabby. And from what my friends down south say, we're getting a lot more support up here. We'll see how job prospects pan out, though.
Reply 128
do phd applications give more importance to gpa and qualifications? i mean, is it possible to apply without doing a masters, that means i wouldn't have an impressive c.v. with academic articles published and all...but would i still have a chance?
Reply 129
I'm considering to make PhD applications next year again.

Now, I have to update my referees that my this year's applications were unsuccessful. :frown:
Has anyone asked their referees to write them the references next year again?
What was their attitude towards it?

Also, if anyone reapplied again the next year, have you changed your PhD topic?
I'm afraid my topic will lose its relevancy the next year.

Also, do you know whether the start of PhD studies is only in October? Is it possible to start a PhD in January?
I've got a general question.. how long did it take until you've heard anything back from your applications? They send me a confirmation Email that they received the application and that they would contact me again after the closing date. Of course it didn't say how soon after the closing date :/ I'm getting really antsy even though it has barely been two weeks.
Reply 131
Original post by Seelentherapie
I've got a general question.. how long did it take until you've heard anything back from your applications? They send me a confirmation Email that they received the application and that they would contact me again after the closing date. Of course it didn't say how soon after the closing date :/ I'm getting really antsy even though it has barely been two weeks.

As for me, my full PhD application was received on 12th of April. And I still haven't heard anything back from them. I'm quite disappointed with that uni. :frown:.
Although I started to make alternative plans already 1 month ago.
Original post by Exulted
As for me, my full PhD application was received on 12th of April. And I still haven't heard anything back from them. I'm quite disappointed with that uni. :frown:.
Although I started to make alternative plans already 1 month ago.

That's what I've thought.. ugh :frown: It sucks because I want to go back home (Germany) over the summer but if I'll get invited to an interview, it's much easier and a lot cheaper to go there from where I'm now (Scotland).
Reply 133
Original post by Seelentherapie
That's what I've thought.. ugh :frown: It sucks because I want to go back home (Germany) over the summer but if I'll get invited to an interview, it's much easier and a lot cheaper to go there from where I'm now (Scotland).

I suggest you to wait till the end of June. They usually make their decision within
4-6 weeks time. If you don't hear from them within this period, you can always email them. Hope you hear from them asap.
Reply 134
Hi everyone! I have applied for PhD all over the UK back in April, and I am starting to get answers but not exactly in the order I expected. Let me explain: my favourite is Uni E., which hasn't got back to me yet, but Uni Y. has made an offer I have to either accept or decline asap.
If anyone has been in this situation, can you tell me if I should contact Uni E. to ask if they have reached a decision yet and tell them that I have to respond to an offer by Uni Y. now? Of course, if Uni E. says yes I'll decline Uni Y. in a heartbeat. I don't know how long I can keep Uni Y. waiting or if it is ever a good idea to tell a university that another one has accepted me already.
Thanks for your help, I'm a bit stuck on this one...
S.
Reply 135
Originally i'd planned on easing into a PhD by spending a year or two on a research masters, and now i'm writing up an academic CV and statement of interest for a studentship I didn't apply for. My two referees think i'd be mad not to consider it, especially since I have a definite place on the MRes if i'm not selected, but it still makes me ridiculously nervous.

I keep thinking i'm going to turn up for the (informal) interview and they'll think "oh, you're not the capable biologist your personal statement led us to believe you were". I kind of hope they do, as much as i'm looking forward to discussing the project I don't feel ready to take on a PhD :redface:.

Anyway, this has been an interesting thread. I feel a little more prepared now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sixtine
Hi everyone! I have applied for PhD all over the UK back in April, and I am starting to get answers but not exactly in the order I expected. Let me explain: my favourite is Uni E., which hasn't got back to me yet, but Uni Y. has made an offer I have to either accept or decline asap.
If anyone has been in this situation, can you tell me if I should contact Uni E. to ask if they have reached a decision yet and tell them that I have to respond to an offer by Uni Y. now? Of course, if Uni E. says yes I'll decline Uni Y. in a heartbeat. I don't know how long I can keep Uni Y. waiting or if it is ever a good idea to tell a university that another one has accepted me already.
Thanks for your help, I'm a bit stuck on this one...
S.

Y will be worrying that they will miss students entirely this year, which is why they are putting you under pressure.

Silence from E does not sound promising but they may well be sitting on a final decision to see how things turn out with applicants' final exams

There is nothing wrong in asking E what's going on, given that it's a couple of months since you applied.

There is also nothing wrong in accepting Y, but then withdrawing if you get an offer from E. Y won't like you but it happens and they'll have to live with it.

So accept Y, chase E and if E comes through with an offer, bin Y.
Original post by Cora Lindsay
Y will be worrying that they will miss students entirely this year, which is why they are putting you under pressure.

Silence from E does not sound promising but they may well be sitting on a final decision to see how things turn out with applicants' final exams

There is nothing wrong in asking E what's going on, given that it's a couple of months since you applied.

There is also nothing wrong in accepting Y, but then withdrawing if you get an offer from E. Y won't like you but it happens and they'll have to live with it.

Cora is (as usual) spot on. This is absolutely what I would do - and sort of what I did do, come to that.

I believe the generic excuse in these cases is 'my financing didn't come through so I can no longer take up the offer, sorry'. If you can't pay for it, they can't make you take up the place. I suspect plenty of people use this line even if it isn't true :p:
Reply 138
Original post by Cora Lindsay

Thanks guys, will do! I really, really want Uni E. because I know it well, having already spent the last year of my B.A. there as an Erasmus student. My application's been with them since April 6th but it wasn't complete at first, and I provided them with the last missing document on May 21st, so maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself and a reply will come soon enough.

S.

EDIT 29/06: Got an offer from E. and accepted it! Thanks for your help.
(edited 11 years ago)
seems pretty helpful information!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending