The Student Room Group

Is Islam a race?

There's been some debate on this issue within other threads, but I would interested to see what other people's views are on the matter.

I've noticed that there appears to be a growing consensus amongst a proportion of Muslims that Islam can be deemed a race, and they are thus entitled to add the highly emotive term 'racist' to their ad-hominem artillery. The 'racist' stigma is often invoked against those who criticise Islam or Muslims as a group of people.

Do you think Islam is a race, and Muslims are a racial group?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Islam is an ideology, not a race.

A person is no more a racist for criticizing or mocking Islam (or Muslims) than he or she is a racist for criticising or mocking Nazism, Communism or Christianity.
Reply 2
No it is not.

But lets not end the debate here.

Is zionism a race? Because apparently critisizing zionists is anti semitic.
Reply 3
no.
no it's not, just like judaism is not a race.
Reply 5
No.
Reply 6
no.
Reply 7
You're ******* stupid
Reply 8
LOL NO.

The only religion you could even close to class as a race is Judaism.
No its a religion/cult that people can decide to join or not. Being black, white etc is race
No, of course not, its a religion and an ideology, and its not even homogeneous in ideological terms.

Judaism and zionism are also ideologies. However, generally speaking Jews are a race and not merely followers of Judaism. It should also be said that with the exception of the most liberal fringe Judaism is a racist religion.
Reply 11
I do believe that Islam has created a culture which is related to, yet distinct from, the original religion. It has, like Judaism, crossed the boundary that takes it from a religion to a culture.

I cling to the biological definition of the word 'race', and as such, it is not a race, nor will it ever be a race, but it is certainly a culture which is extra to the religion, and membership of that culture can be identified through the values and lifestyles of individuals, yes.

There are cultural muslims, just like there are cultural jews, who can be completely non-religious, but still be aptly described as 'Islamic'.
Reply 12
Its not a race. Ideology, culture, religion ok but not a race.
Reply 13
No, you can have a culture without having a specific race attached to it.
There's no debate, Religion and race are very differnt, albeit we associate Islam with arabs.
I don't know really, how about Christianity, is that a race? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
a race is something you are born into; you cannot choose your race. you can choose to be a muslim or not, therefore islam is not a race.
Reply 17
no it's a religion, idiot
Is my penis a race, that is the question. :holmes:
Reply 19
Samara Morgan
There's been some debate on this issue within other threads, but I would interested to see what other people's views are on the matter.

I've noticed that there appears to be a growing consensus amongst a proportion of Muslims that Islam can be deemed a race, and they are thus entitled to add the highly emotive term 'racist' to their ad-hominem artillery. The 'racist' stigma is often invoked against those who criticise Islam or Muslims as a group of people.

Do you think Islam is a race, and Muslims are a racial group?

Islam is a religion. Muslims are followers; they follow particular branches such as Shia or Sunni which are faiths. Islam is not a race.

Islam- religion
Muslim- Follower
Shia/ Sunni etc... Faiths

Latest

Trending

Trending