The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If by lotto you mean any kind of lottery the answer's a resounding no.
Reply 2
Noooo... my dad does and he's a Actuary... I'm middle class btw (not that it matters lol)
Reply 3
No.
Yes it is, 20 million would be peanuts to anyone middle class or higher.
Reply 5
Some people hold the belief that the lottery is aimed at taking advantage of poor working class people.
Reply 6
emmie19
Noooo... my dad does and he's a Actuary... I'm middle class btw (not that it matters lol)

:ditto:

a million would be rather nice, more than that would be even better
Reply 7
WhatawickedDJ
Yes it is, 20 million would be peanuts to anyone middle class or higher.

Yes, but the odds are crazy. Money would be better of spent, or invested, on something else. Surely it's only the desparate that play?
Yes, those silly, silly working classes.

Ho ho ho.
Reply 9
Yeah, not just working class but elderly people does it! I don't do lottery because it is haram (not legal in Islam because it is part of gambling).
Reply 10
FTC199
:ditto:

a million would be rather nice, more than that would be even better

Your dad's a Actuary too?... awesome =) Would love a million, buy a house, car and pay for holi... and holi =P

You?
Reply 11
No, retard.
Reply 12
Lauren__x
No, retard.

You're the retard, retard.
justjoshing
Yes, but the odds are crazy. Money would be better of spent, or invested, on something else. Surely it's only the desparate that play?

I understand the best tactic to use in playing the national lottery is to pick a combination of numbers that it is statistically likely that very few people would choose. A combination that, on the face of it, seems absurd: eg. 12, 13, 14, 15 etc.

Since all combinations are equally likely, you'd have the same chance as everyone else. But, on the off-chance you won, you'd share it with the least number of people.
justjoshing

If it's wasted money then surely Middle/Upper class people are even more inclined to buy a ticket or two as they will be more likely to have the financial security to not worry about a few quid a week.
justjoshing
Really. £1 a week. £52 a year. £520 quid a decade. £2600 after five decades (and how many people remember to get one every week?).

Pittance. The returns on investing that almost makes it not worth the hassle. You probably spend more on chocolate in that kind of time frame.
Reply 16
I play the lotto and I'm working class. So does my mother. :B
Deadly Lightshade
I understand the best tactic to use in playing the national lottery is to pick a combination of numbers that it is statistically likely that very few people would choose. A combination that, on the face of it, seems absurd: eg. 12, 13, 14, 15 etc.

Since all combinations are equally likely, you'd have the same chance as everyone else. But, on the off-chance you won, you'd share it with the least number of people.

That makes sense. Consecutive numbers sound more unlikely to come up. However just don't pick numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 as apparently there are thousands who go for that combination every week. So if you won you wouldn't get much...
Reply 18
justjoshing
Your the retard, retard.

Oh, come on, that's just presented on a plate. That's to a grammar Nazi what a free shot in the six-yard box is to Fernando Torres.
Reply 19
Of course not entirely, but gambling in general is more common amongst the working classes.

As gambling goes though, the lottery is probably one of the less class-distinct forms.

Latest

Trending

Trending