The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lefty Leo
Slap him please. :eek:

Everybody knows our god is Lord Dawkins Vader.

Haha he says it to people just so they have to ask what it means, and as a sort of mockery of the phrase Oh My God, which actually doesn't retain its original meaning any more, it's just a phrase. :smile:

:biggrin:
Well, for a christian to say it, it'd be called blasphemy.

Lose-lose situation really.
Reply 42
its too overused by everyone to sound silly, it has developed its own meaning, it doesnt literally mean "Oh my GOD" anymore
I thought it would be more hypocritical if a theist said "Oh my God"? Blasphemy?
ellieg33
Haha he says it to people just so they have to ask what it means, and as a sort of mockery of the phrase Oh My God, which actually doesn't retain its original meaning any more, it's just a phrase. :smile:

:biggrin:

AH he's a fellow attention seeker. Well, can't blame him. Anything to piss off the theists i guess? :yep:
Reply 45
Hmm I have thought about it but tbh I still say it anyway - it's more cultural and habitual than religious (if that makes sense?).
Reply 46
Oh what a load of bull.

Most Atheists also get together to celebrate Christmas, enjoy artwork and music that had a religious motive, and maybe even have a cheeky easter egg.

Personally I don't celebrate Christmas, I don't eat easter eggs, and I don't say 'oh my God'. I do enjoy the arts, even if they were motivated by religion. But it's nothing to do with religion, it's culture, and it signifies nothing.

P.S. it's spelt atheist, NOT athiest.
I use 'God' and 'Jesus Christ' all the time. I'm referring to a myth traditional in my culture. What's the problem?
bananaslug77
No. In my view the saying of things like 'Oh my god' or 'Jesus Christ' are simply cultural and don't indicate that the person saying it believes in God. Just like saying 'Oh my giddy aunt' doesn't necessarily indicate that I have a hyperactive aunt.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

:ditto:

I'm also an atheist and the reason I say "Oh my god", is because It's just a habit now. Nearly all of my friends say it etc, and some of them are atheists.

It doesn't mean that there is a god, I can say "Oh my half lion - elephant"... but that'll just be wierd :biggrin:
I've considered this wrongdoing and I will never, ever say it again.

Thanks thread :yy:
no and I don't care :biggrin::biggrin:
Oh my science?
SCIENCE IS MY GOD-AND DAWKINS MY JESUS
It makes more sense for a atheist to say its as its blasphemous.
Reply 54
Personally i like to say "good gravy" :dontknow:
Reply 55
shark67
Ever wondered how silly you sound?

Go to Hell
Reply 56
Epic Fail =p
So? I don't believe in God but its just an ancient expression that is said all the time.
******* moron
It's just a phrase.