The Student Room Group

cambridge choral award

i hope iv posted this to the right place, sorry if i havent this is the first time iv tried to post anything :p:

Im thinking of applying for a choral award because i've been told i have a good singing voice, i have taken part in my school choir and chamber choir and done musical theatre, however i havent done any grades and I can only read really really basic music, if i'm being honest i can barely read music at all. however i have a few months before the auditions and am hoping to improve by then.

is it worth applying if i cant read music and will most likely be very poor at the sight reading?
Sight singing is a very important part of being a choral scholar, as they're constantly faced with new music often days before the service or maybe even on the day.

If you work hard over Summer you may be able to get to the right standard, but don't forget that there's more to being in the choir than just being able to sing well, it's about combining with the others and blending with them. Grades aren't important.

Do you have a singing teacher?
Reply 2
not at the moment, but im hoping to start back lessons soon. i'v been singing unable to read for a long time so im able to pick up pieces wuite quickly by now from hearing them once or twice, but obviously thats not the same as being able to do it straight away! :p:
At the last choir auditions i went to i Completely failed the sight reading part! :p: i still got into the choir which gave me some hope for this, but im assuming cambridge will be expecting a bit more from me!
Reply 3
Sight-reading is important, yes. The best way to learn to do it in a short space of time (which I had to do, and sort of went from crap to great in 2 months) was to learn lots of intervals and practice absolutely loads...Byrd, Tallis, Palestrina and Gibbons were what I used to practice for the Faculty audition (the one where all colleges to which you apply hear you) and then the colleges that gave me callbacks made me sight-read more modern (read, difficult) stuff, like Leighton, Kodaly and Tavener.

However, what is really important (more important than sight-reading) is that your voice is attractive, clear, can blend with other voices and desirable in choirs. It is worth it, I definitely advise you to do it- especially if you pick the right choir for you (singing the right number of services each week, and doing the sort of music you might like). However, a lot depends on other factors: competition, what voice part you are (because some are quite in demand, others less so) and if you're good enough to get in academically.

Best of luck with it all.

Latest

Trending

Trending