The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Greg.
Sorry, but I feel pedantic today. Anyway:

1) 'Which is the best at economics' - how is that a question? Do you mean which has the best reputation? Or which is the hardest to get into? And so on. You can't ask which is 'best' because it has no meaning - how do you define a university being 'best' at something? All 3 of the universities are excellent for economics and their quality at it shouldn't be the deciding factor between the 3. Instead look at the accommodation, social life and so on. Where would you most like to study for 3 years?

2) If you think you are up to the standards of Cambridge of course it is realistic to apply there. Your GCSE's and maths A-level sounds ok, but we need to know your A-level subjects - for example if you are taking subjects like business studies, accounting and media studies, it makes it less realistic to apply to any of them.

3) 'Their course looks very appealing but the competition appears stiff , would Oxford be a better bet?' - Very annoying question. Both are extremely competitive - everyone applying will probably be AAAA. Same is true for LSE. Thus to think that because Cambridge has a lot of competition you'd have a better chance at Oxford is ridiculous. In fact if I recall correctly, Oxford's econ+man course has more applicants per place than Cambridge's economics course.

4) I'm not going to give you tips on preparing for interviews, but looking at the recommended texts and reading a broadsheet newspaper is a good start. Look around on this forum and you'll probably be able to find stuff to help you.

5) Interview format (I only know about Cambridge)

Check out this page to see how individual colleges interview. Some use the thinking skills assessment, others use written work. It varies from college to college.
Here's an example of how one college does it:

- 2 interviews
- First is about a piece concerning economics (such as a newspaper article) that is given to you to look at before you go into the interview. You need to explore the issues raised by the piece.
- Second is a general interview, with the questions coming from what you say in your personal statement. If you say that you're interested in the issues raised by globalisation, expect to be asked about it.

6) Look at the Alternative Economics League Table at the top of this forum. It lists the universities by how competitive the economics courses are. Even if you do want to apply to Oxbridge/LSE you'll need to look at other universities as you get 5 choices and economics is one of the most competitive courses to get on at degree level. People with amazing grades and personal statements have been rejected due to the sheer competition.

Hope that helps a little and sorry for taking apart your original post! :yep:

Thanks for the advice on grammar, I will keep it in mid when doing essays. My subjects are maths ,further maths, economics, history and physics. Did they ask you to do any maths questions in your interview ? which books did u read?
manutd_champions
I do five A levels. Maths, futher maths, history economics and physics .

What are you predicted?
Easywellyes
What are you predicted?

AAAAA
manutd_champions
AAAAA

no A*s?
you can't, only in A2 you can
Reply 25
manutd_champions
you can't, only in A2 you can

I'm sure that you can get 'predicted' an A* though.
not for A/s but for a2 yes
manutd_champions
Thanks for the advice on grammar, I will keep it in mid when doing essays. My subjects are maths ,further maths, economics, history and physics. Did they ask you to do any maths questions in your interview ? which books did u read?

you will be asked maths questions. i was anyway...
Reply 28
sil3nt_cha0s
lol I wasn't asked about a piece concerning economics...stop giving the OP false information. you might be, but not necessarily...

Definitely get asked if applying for Trinity (Financial Times, New York Times, etc). I guess other colleges won't.

My friend applied to Downing and he had 2 people interviewing him and FP3 integration from the sound of things lol (he didn't get a passage to analyse)
Reply 29
Academically there is no difference between them; maybe Oxbridge edging it on prestige.

There are more important factors to consider; London or Cambridge, social scientists or all academics, London nightlife or Cambs, self-taught or tutorial system.
If it's pure economics you want then Cambridge is probably the best choice. I might be a bit biased being here, but I didn't do the undergrad course here and I really wish that I had. It's a really really good course. The course is a lot more rigorous than what you'd do at oxford.

LSE is a great University, and if I were you I'd definitely apply there too, but I think LSE is better as a postgrad institution than as an undergrad.

I don't know much about the interviews, but I would advice that you start reading The FT/The Economist/business pages of newspapers now, so that you have a really good foundation that you can draw on when asked.
Reply 31
In my opinion Cambridge is better for the prestige, whereas LSE is better for personal development. You can't go wrong with either.
^ true true. I think it's very very easy for Cambridge undergrads to be very sheltered, you come straight from school, your college can be like a boarding school without a curfew etc. Of course, it's what you make of it, and it's up to you to "unshelter" yourself....
Reply 33
manutd_champions
Im currently in year 12 and just wondering which out of these 3 uni's is the best at economics. According to the tables it varies throughout each year. My gcse grades were 8 A*'s and 3 A's with an A/s in maths grade A. Im predicted A's in A/s but nuttin is guaranteed. Is it realisitc to apply to cambridge. Thier course looks very appealing but the competitintion appears stiff , would oxford be a better bet. Finally wat can u do to prepare for the economics interviews at oxbridge. Do the reading of from reading lists , read a quality newspaper- wat else
Any ideas on wat kind of things they ask u? is it interests or an actaul question? Adivce would be welcomed
Thanks

Check out my sticky threads.
But with 5 A-levels to A2 you should apply to both Oxbridge and LSE.
Reply 34
I suspect you'll find many of the links in my sig of use.

I'm sure you've been told this many times before, but I'll say it again. Oxford's course is Economics and Managment. Make sure that you're up for the management part as well as economics if you apply to Oxford. Management will make up 2/3 of your first year.
Reply 35
I suspect you'll find many of the links in my sig of use.

I'm sure you've been told this many times before, but I'll say it again. Oxford's course is Economics and Managment. Make sure that you're up for the management part as well as economics if you apply to Oxford. Management will make up 2/3 of your first year.

Latest

Trending

Trending