The Student Room Group

LSE for 'Politics', or City for 'Journalism'!?

I need some serious advice!

I have just finished my undergraduate degree. I only applied to two universities for masters (LSE for politics, and City for Journalism) and i got into both.

I have NO IDEA which path to take.
Since LSE starts this year and City offer is deferred for 2010 entry, I COULD technically do both. But here is the issue...

LSE costs 14,000! and the only way I could afford it is probably if I do it part time and split the cost over two years. This means that it would interfere with the City offer.

Just so you know, City is half the cost.
LSE has its world famous reputation, but City is best in UK for Journalism - it looks like its one or the other, but which one!!>?

Please any advice???!
If you have an offer from LSE, take it.

Short-term cost or long-term investment, whatever you want to call it a MA from LSE will benefit your career in ways which City cannot.

It may be expensive, but it's an offer you are lucky to have. If you don't take it, you will be locking doors on yourself.
Reply 2
I'm curious, where & what subject did you do your undergraduate degree in?
As an LSE undergrad I can tell you that the MA students here are taken extremely good care of. Honestly, an MA from LSE will open so many doors; I have no real knowledge to speak from but I'm sure if you want to do journalism it is probably better in terms of job prospects than the degree from City. It also gives you a much wider skill set in case you decided you didn't want to pursue journalism after all. :smile:
Ric.ie
I'm curious, where & what subject did you do your undergraduate degree in?

To answer this question, I studied Politics at Queen Mary.
Reply 5
Definitely pick the MA in Politics from LSE. I'm guessing you want to become a political journalist, so the more expertise you can acquire in your particular field, the better. You're also probably already a good writer if you managed to get an offer from LSE, so whatever other skills you would be learning in your journalism degree can be learned on the job instead.
Reply 6
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
Echoing the advice above. Go for LSE. If needs be, you can do a PG diploma in journalism (from City of elsewhere) to complement your Masters from LSE.

Latest

Trending

Trending