The Student Room Group

Can I even get in this thing?

I'm a student in the US right now, looking to apply soon to unis in the UK. I am well aware of the NHS quotas, and so, though I will likely achieve the requirement of top unis (Oxbridge, etc.) I have no idea whether I'll be able to get in.

So, basically, do you think I even have a shot having not completed IB's (I'm doing AP's, which are quite similar but specific to the states)

frankly, are there any unis that'll take me? should I stop aiming for the best and settle a little lower, or give it up completely?
aughh
Reply 1
secretchords
I'm a student in the US right now, looking to apply soon to unis in the UK. I am well aware of the NHS quotas, and so, though I will likely achieve the requirement of top unis (Oxbridge, etc.) I have no idea whether I'll be able to get in.

So, basically, do you think I even have a shot having not completed IB's (I'm doing AP's, which are quite similar but specific to the states)

frankly, are there any unis that'll take me? should I stop aiming for the best and settle a little lower, or give it up completely?
aughh

Depends on your grades really. All universities accept AP's as far as I know, so you should be fine.

If I were you, I'd ring/email them up and ask the different colleges what they are looking for specifically. Remember that at OxBridge, all colleges have slightly different criteria.
Reply 2
You'll also have to sit for an interview (either at the college itself or via the phone, not entirely sure), I believe.
What are your grades? Have you sat the aptitude test yet?
Should be able too, all accept overseas qualifications, though as everyone said, it will depend on your grades. .
Reply 5
bambipoppins
Should be able too, all accept overseas qualifications, though as everyone said, it will depend on your grades. .
It what now?

Troll :mad:
Reply 6
The international student quotas are set by the Department for Business Education and Skills (I think) not the NHS. The NHS does not have a quota of foreign doctors that they employ but you need to be aware that there is no employment, certainly not past foundation years, unless the job cannot be filled by an EU citizen. You also need to be aware that the degree will allow you to work in countries like Australia and New Zealand but not the US or Canada without further qualification.

That aside, you will need what every other applicant to medicine needs - an excellent mix of academics and experience. Good luck.
Reply 7
The reverse works (they do Princeton interviews at my college), so I dont see why you wouldnt be able to get on a course over here
Reply 8
As long as you are intelligent, dedicated and enthusiastic you should be fine. All unis will take into account equivalent grades but for foreign students the competition is stiff.
Anyway there is no harm in applying to Oxbridge (but you can only apply to one) as long as one or two of your other three are aiming lower. That's what most people here do anyway.
Why do you want to study over here, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 9
Renal
The international student quotas are set by the Department for Business Education and Skills (I think) not the NHS. The NHS does not have a quota of foreign doctors that they employ but you need to be aware that there is no employment, certainly not past foundation years, unless the job cannot be filled by an EU citizen. You also need to be aware that the degree will allow you to work in countries like Australia and New Zealand but not the US or Canada without further qualification.

That aside, you will need what every other applicant to medicine needs - an excellent mix of academics and experience. Good luck.

Slightly off topic here, what kind of further qualifications do you need to achieve to be able to work in the US? And does a similar system apply to mainland Europe?

Wippydip
Anyway there is no harm in applying to Oxbridge (but you can only apply to one) as long as one or two of your other three are aiming lower.

If someone was thinking of applying to Oxbridge, what lower Universities would you advise them to apply for? :smile:
Reply 10
jonnyofengland
Slightly off topic here, what kind of further qualifications do you need to achieve to be able to work in the US? And does a similar system apply to mainland Europe?
For the US you require the USMLE qualification - US standardised finals.

In theory, the EU is open to British doctors but I suspect that there will be all sorts of complicating factors.
Reply 11
Remember - you must still take the UKCAT (probably BMAT too but not 100%) even though you live in the US

If you like the Oxbridge medicine course (LOOK INTO IT -- Do not assume just because it has the reputation that it is the best university for you. The course is very traditional and few universities do it anymore.) then you will want to apply for other traditional courses. The only one that springs to mind as also being purely preclinical/clinical is St Andrews. Also look into imperial. But you may do well to look at somewhere with less academic requirements.

Look into PBL and intergrated learning you may find you like the approach a lot better. It is very hard to rank medical schools and as such you would be ill advised to assume Oxbridge to be the best medical schools. All medical schools are regulated by the GMC, all have very high standards and all will allow you to work as a doctor.
Reply 12
If someone was thinking of applying to Oxbridge, what lower Universities would you advise them to apply for? :smile:

Hahaha, I take your point! :p: I just meant don't apply to 4 extremely high demand uni's. I know everyone says you have an equal chance of getting into every medical school, but it makes sense not to apply to, for example, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh and Kings. Especially if you're a foreign applicant whose places are even more restricted.

Latest

Trending

Trending