The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've just finished my BSc in CS. I'm in a job at the moment, but I hate it with a fiery passion. I'm seriously contemplating going back for a masters, preferably in September, but need to apply in the next week!
Reply 2
ill be doing a masters
Reply 3
Graduated last summer, took a gap year in Canada, came back to a job I didn't want (due to start in August), turned it down and am starting a Masters in September. :smile:
Reply 4
do u get a masters degree after 1 year?
Taught MSc courses are often just 1 year long.
Reply 6
Elninoel
do u get a masters degree after 1 year?

If you're a postgrad with a relevant bachelor's degree, then yes.
Just finished my MEng CS and starting PhD in October. There is no way I would work in industry, I hated my placement year at Microsoft. Never again.
Reply 8
TheQueenOfComputerScience
Just finished my MEng CS and starting PhD in October. There is no way I would work in industry, I hated my placement year at Microsoft. Never again.

what did you do there? also where do you expect to get a job once you get your phd? I am planning on doing MEng comp. systems. eng that why I am wondering.
Elninoel
what did you do there? also where do you expect to get a job once you get your phd? I am planning on doing MEng comp. systems. eng that why I am wondering.

I'll will hopefully be going on to do a postdoc after my PhD. In Microsoft I mostly spent the year rotting or doing really boring tedious tasks, I was doing the same work as the full time staff so I know it had nothing to do with being a placement student.
Reply 10
I was doing the same work as the full time staff.

which is?
newman24x
which is?

Boring tedious crap I barely remember. Mostly remember the whole team taking 2 hour lunches every day, some localisation crap, some QA crap and trying to automate the QA crap, there was alot of spreadsheets used. Dead boring. I got the feeling the team was waiting for some work to materialise which just never did that entire year.
Reply 12
Boring tedious crap I barely remember. Mostly remember the whole team taking 2 hour lunches every day, some localisation crap, some QA crap and trying to automate the QA crap, there was alot of spreadsheets used. Dead boring. I got the feeling the team was waiting for some work to materialise which just never did that entire year.

tbh, that just sounds like a problem with MS than the industry. My year in industry at Sophos was very different.
laser
tbh, that just sounds like a problem with MS than the industry. My year in industry at Sophos was very different.

tbh it was a similar experience to most of the people in my year who went to a large variety of companies so maybe yours was the exception?
Reply 14
tbh it was a similar experience to most of the people in my year who went to a large variety of companies so maybe yours was the exception?

At York it was a mixed bag. The people who worked at IBM hated it for the most part, the people who worked at ANT loved it, and most of the people I know that worked at BAE loved it too.
laser
At York it was a mixed bag. The people who worked at IBM hated it for the most part, the people who worked at ANT loved it, and most of the people I know that worked at BAE loved it too.

I do think its also really dependant on your own personality and working style. Some people just fit into the corperate enviroment instantly and do really well within it.
I do think its also really dependant on your own personality and working style. Some people just fit into the corperate enviroment instantly and do really well within it.

I'd agree with that - one issue that I have is that I absolutely hate the corporate environment. Given that I wasn't exactly Little Miss Spectacular Grades at uni, that could be a problem!
Reply 17
Apocalypte
Given that I wasn't exactly Little Miss Spectacular Grades at uni, that could be a problem!

is it?? :eek:
Apocalypte
I'd agree with that - one issue that I have is that I absolutely hate the corporate environment. Given that I wasn't exactly Little Miss Spectacular Grades at uni, that could be a problem!

You got a 2.1 in your degree that's enough to get onto a postgrad and then spend your time in academia. BTW I see your in Dublin, I loved the year I spent there when I was on placement, brilliant city!
Just finished my bachelors, now on to do a masters in October. No idea what I'm going to do after that. I'd think I'd like to do a doctorate, but money would be a big issue.

Latest

Trending

Trending