The Student Room Group

Oxytetracycline tablets for acne

Hi everyone. I'm sure I am not the only one who is plagued by the curse of spots. It's not exactly like I have bad skin, but it still gets me down when I need to look my best. Recently, I have started shaving a lot more and this seems to have triggered these bloody spots to appear on my chin and down the side of my face. I waited to see if they'd clear but no success. So i decided to see my GP and he gave me a 2 month course of Oxytetracyline tablets that are supposed to help clear acne. My current dosgae is 4 tablets a day.

Just wondering if anyone else had been pescribed with these tablets and whether they managed to clear their acne or not. At the moment I am optimistic but still a bit skeptic. Let me know how it went for you! =) Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, I was prescribed these for bad skin ,and yeah they helped. not immediately but after a few weeks i noticed a difference. really did help.
hope same happens for you.
Reply 2
Yeah i've been using them for a while now. They've really helped clear up my acne, at the moment i have virtually no spots on my face at all. I still get the occasional breakout but they seem to go away quicker now. You might not see any results till about 4-6 weeks though.
Reply 3
Ahh positive feedback thanks! One problem is.. It says you have to take them on an empty stomach or an hour before food. But due to sporting commitments I literally have to eat a lot in the day. Will this effect the use of the tablet? I've tried cutting down on what I eat but I still find it a problem.
Reply 4
I guess they say that because thats the ideal conditions your body receives the medicine, but to be honest I dont think it will affect things that much.

I certainly never even looked at that and didnt seem to reduce their effectiveness
Reply 5
It was a bit useless for me... doxycycline was better.
Reply 6
I tried those tablets but they didn't work very well for me so my GP gave me a cream called duac to try instead and its completely cleared up (it was only mild to begin with)
Reply 7
yeah my GP prescribed me with them, they worked pretty well, still got the odd few. Quite weird actually because I phoned the doctors this morning cuz i have ran out now, hoping to get something for the scars cuz thats whats mainly left
Reply 8
Yep, I started on these antibiotics and after a few weeks I did notice a difference so they definitely helped initially. I guess my body just got used to them eventually because the improvement stopped. I then switched to something else which has further helped my skin.
cam_martin
Hi everyone. I'm sure I am not the only one who is plagued by the curse of spots. It's not exactly like I have bad skin, but it still gets me down when I need to look my best. Recently, I have started shaving a lot more and this seems to have triggered these bloody spots to appear on my chin and down the side of my face. I waited to see if they'd clear but no success. So i decided to see my GP and he gave me a 2 month course of Oxytetracyline tablets that are supposed to help clear acne. My current dosgae is 4 tablets a day.

Just wondering if anyone else had been pescribed with these tablets and whether they managed to clear their acne or not. At the moment I am optimistic but still a bit skeptic. Let me know how it went for you! =) Thanks x

Cleared my spots in about 5 weeks time completely. However, there is always a however with antibiotics! They screwed me up completely! After they had gone, i stopped taking them n den i had numerous problems! Constipation, severe bowel movement problems, rash , weakness and chest pain and all this had to happen during my exams.

I've tried everything with acne and hav jus given up to be honest.
Yea, these were the 2nd or 3rd treatment I tried. They did work, but as soon as I stopped them, the spots came back. The only thing thats actually cleared it up for me (well still in the process of 7 years on) is benzoyl peroxide used long term/Duac gel (antibiotic gel with benzoyl peroxide in it) and Dianette, which is the form of the pill. I know you can't use that though :p:

I hope these work for you though, different treatments work for different people so you might have to go on several courses of antibiotics over a long period of time. It takes at the very least 6 months for them to clear, can take years. It wil also naturally get better over time as well. I see pics of when I was 15 and my skin was terrible, nowadays (I'm 18 now) I only really get a few spots here and there every few weeks or so, nothing too bad.

If these don't work, theres a huge range of treatments available on prescription. I would recommend sme benzoyl peroxide too, it can be brought over-the-counter, and will go by the name of panoxyl usually, or can be found in the 'Oxy' range. As it dries out your skin I'll suggest the 5% cream, but you can get it in aquagels etc too. Its around £3 and can be found in pharmacy areas.
My boyfriend is on a 6 month course of this; it seems to be slowly working, but his pills are dyed yellow, which has transferred to his tongue...
I was put on medication for my acne and I can't remember the name exactly but it was something like, if not exactly, the name yours is and mine seemed to clear up my acne brilliantly. It's not an instant change but like people have said, over a few weeks you will notice it.
Reply 13
cam_martin

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942627&page=2

read post #26, by wilkybar.
Reply 14
Seems to be a mixed reaction to these tablets. But i agree different treatments work for different people. Hopefully they'll do the trick.

Thanks for the link wilkybar. I've heard of this drug before, rouccatene or something like that. I don't think my acne is that severe to take this drug which i'm kinda glad it isn't because the side effects I heard about sound terrible.
Reply 15
cam_martin
Ahh positive feedback thanks! One problem is.. It says you have to take them on an empty stomach or an hour before food. But due to sporting commitments I literally have to eat a lot in the day. Will this effect the use of the tablet? I've tried cutting down on what I eat but I still find it a problem.

if you take them with calcium in your stomach then they're useless, but for me they were useless regardless
I was on the one-a-day ones. I finished my course about a month ago and my skin still looks goooood.
Reply 17
They worked amazingly on my acne but then I had the worst rash possibly known to man, so the side effects can be rather drastic...
Reply 18
Mate, I tried them for about 6 months if I recall, and they didn't seem to work that much for me - so I went on to Roaccutane afterwards.

However, that might just be me, and OTC mike work for you! Good luck!
Reply 19
Has anybody been prescribed anything for scaring?

Latest

Trending

Trending