The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stacks
This past fortnight people keep handing me so much change. They don't even count it out. They just give me a handful of money and expect me to count it out for them.

Naturally I take as long as possible. Seriously why hand me £5 in change when your food costs £2? Urgh.

I sometimes just hold out my hand with change on it, especially if there's a queue after me. British coins are confusing sizes, and I tend to drop either my food or my money if I count it out before. :tongue: I always figure that it's either let them pick the coins they want or do it myself whilst the queue grooooooooowwwwws behind me. They're nice about it though. :redface:
Reply 2022
Original post by Melanie-v
I sometimes just hold out my hand with change on it, especially if there's a queue after me. British coins are confusing sizes, and I tend to drop either my food or my money if I count it out before. :tongue: I always figure that it's either let them pick the coins they want or do it myself whilst the queue grooooooooowwwwws behind me. They're nice about it though. :redface:

That's fair enough :tongue: I have no issue with people holding out their hand with the money in it, mainly because (like you said) I can pick the money out that I need.

Some people take it to ridiculous levels though and give me a handful of ten pences, 5 pences and two pences.
It's a nuisance to count it all out. And they normally hand over far more than what I'm charging them.

Like if they had £2 worth of change for something worth £1.99 I wouldn't have as much as an issue. But when they just hand over £5 of change with no attempt to count it out themselves, it's annoying :rolleyes:

I have the same issue with people who decide to come in as soon as we've opened, buy a cup of tea for 89p and pay with £20. Such an effort having to count out £19 worth of pound coins....then I need to get more £1 coins since I've just used them all up :tongue:
I help out at my mothers takeaway and we get our fair share of crazy people. There was a woman who rang up asking for a delivery so I asked for her address and she goes to me: Why do you need my address?!' -___-
Another strange guy comes in asking for 'Kentucky fried chicken' everytime. When what he actually wants is a chicken curry... 0_o
xx
Fake pound coins! Argh!

We're supposed to point them out to the customer and ask if they have anything else, then return it to them - we had a guard on who was utterly convinced we have to keep them, that's true with notes but we have no idea about coins. Some people get really annoyed, especially if you show them theirs compared to a real pound - come on, if the gold scrapes off, IT'S NOT REAL.
Reply 2025
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the look on the face of a customer who had walked past you (you know, because you are young, and therefore an idiot) to ask an older looking (but newer) member of staff a question, being led back to you by the older looking member of staff to have their question answered.

Whilst I am here I'd like to post on behalf of the McDonald's worker I today witnessed fishing out of the bin a tray a customer decided was part of their rubbish.
Reply 2026
Original post by DanD
There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the look on the face of a customer who had walked past you (you know, because you are young, and therefore an idiot) to ask an older looking (but newer) member of staff a question, being led back to you by the older looking member of staff to have their question answered.

Whilst I am here I'd like to post on behalf of the McDonald's worker I today witnessed fishing out of the bin a tray a customer decided was part of their rubbish.

:tongue: Both of those things happen to me far too often. I never get why people but their trays in the bin/decide to take the tray to the bin and leave it on top with all the rubbish on it.
Muchos annoying.

Also had a woman ask me if we had any vinegar, I told her we didn't. "Are you sure? You normally do!", I was just like...McDonald's has never had any since I've been living here.

So she goes up to a totally incompetent yet older member of staff who started at the same time as me and asks the same question.

Anyhow my rant of the day is customers who decide to sit at a dirty table rather than the clean table next to it then call you over to clean it.

I had two old women today too....there was a tiny drop of ice cream on the seat so they asked if I could clean it up for them. I got a napkin and wiped it but they clearly weren't paying attention. "Can you come over and clean this up now?!"
"I already have!"
Almost walked in on one of them in the toilets too since she didn't lock the door :colondollar:
Customer: Ok so chewing gum....bread.....cereal....erm what else do I need...?

Me: (trying to be helpful) milk? egss?

Customer: What do I look like, a ****ing pansy?!?!

Me:.......lolwut?
Arrrgh, when I was around town on Thursday I was in Wilkinsons first and this woman walked off when her stuff was getting scanned and brought back more stuff and did this more than once.

Then I went to Iceland and there is always a massive queue in there, and this woman vanished then came back, then decided to rearrange the shopping the person on till had packed holding up about 15 people.
This thread is so great! I'm not actually working at the moment but I used to work at an independent pharmacy. Some guy came in one day holding some kind of fluff in his hand.... he starts insisting that he has been cursed by a voodoo spell and now his bellybutton is producing loads of fluff and insisted that we give him something for it :O but this the was not before he tried to make me touch the fluff to check what it was.. needless to say I kindly refused.
There are plenty of other stories that I can't think of now but we definitely got our share of difficult/annoying customers especially with the fact that around 15 people on methadone prescriptions would come in every day and they can be quite difficiult.
I had a horrid and incredibly rude customer today.
Heres the story :
I was just putting my float in the till at the beginning of the shift and about to ask whos next when this old man came storming up to me and shouted
" EXUSE ME?!?! I ordered this double cheeseburger, and I wanted it PLAIN! but the stupid girl who served me has given me one with the relish in it!! this is appalling I already had to wait longer than you normally to have to and!!!"
(Well yeah, its a grill, they have to be made seperately, so they do take longer, but fair enough the order was wrong, I understand why hes angry).
Then he went on to mimic the girl who served him in a little girlie voice:
"oooooh it will only be a couple of minutes RUBBISH?!" bla bla bla....
At this point I was thinking how childish can you get over a burger!! your a grown man!!!
So I said I will go get a new fresh one made, and I asked if he would like the cheese on it (as I find that many people will ask for a plain double cheeseburger or whatever and then will come back a few minutes later saying why is there cheese on it, I said plain...bla bla bla)
And when I asked him that he went ballistic and started shouting
"ARE YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING OR IS IT JUST THAT EVERYONE IN THE NORTH OF ENGLAND SPEAKS A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE?!?!! JESUS!!!" RAAHHHH!
I tried to explain why I asked that but he kept cutting me off and I just walked away to fetch his food or else I would of lost my temper with him.
I was very polite to him, but I really felt like answering him in German or something considering I'm from the North of England. :P I expect better from an elder, not this childish ****. Anywhoo. glad I got that off my chest . Rant over
Reply 2031
A customer came up to me yesterday and said "do you have any more in the back?"

So I said sorry, and asked which item they meant.

They looked at me as though I was stupid and should have known.
Original post by JamJes
This thread is so great! I'm not actually working at the moment but I used to work at an independent pharmacy. Some guy came in one day holding some kind of fluff in his hand.... he starts insisting that he has been cursed by a voodoo spell and now his bellybutton is producing loads of fluff and insisted that we give him something for it :O but this the was not before he tried to make me touch the fluff to check what it was.. needless to say I kindly refused.
There are plenty of other stories that I can't think of now but we definitely got our share of difficult/annoying customers especially with the fact that around 15 people on methadone prescriptions would come in every day and they can be quite difficiult.

HAHAAH this made me laugh HARD!! I lurrrvveee belly button fluff but the fact that he went in to a pharmacy with a hand full of fluff is wrong!!!
I'm getting increasingly irritated with the parents that seem to think that the department store that I work in is a crèche/nursery/child play area.

They allow their children to take toys out of the boxes to play with, then leave them on the all over the floor (and not actually purchase it!). Then when I or another member of staff politely inform the parents that toys aren't allowed to be taken out of the boxes unless they're going to purchase them, you get shouted at.
Oh, and letting their children climb over mannequins, hang on clothing fixtures and run up and down escalators. And I always get such a glare/complaint from parents when I ask the child nicely to 'don't do that, I don't want you to get hurt'. Gah.

Another thing that really irritates me is at the fitting room when customers just dump unwanted clothes into my arms/on the floor. It's nice when they at least attempt to put them on the hanger in some orderly manner.
*Sigh*
One of my pet hates is people who come round drive thru and are on their phones. And they seem to be on the phone for ages. As well as being rude being on the phone while im serving them, its actually illegal to be driving a car while on the phone, you going round the drive thru lane doesnt make you an exception to that rule im afraid.
Guy asked so many stupid questions:

e.g. him: 'does the vegetable fried rice have shrimps in it?'
me: :facepalm:
No, this isn't a cheap motel room, This is a supermarket, Get a f***ing room!
Original post by Emma:-)
One of my pet hates is people who come round drive thru and are on their phones. And they seem to be on the phone for ages. As well as being rude being on the phone while im serving them, its actually illegal to be driving a car while on the phone, you going round the drive thru lane doesnt make you an exception to that rule im afraid.

You should report them to the police, that would soon sort them out!
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
You should report them to the police, that would soon sort them out!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
Reply 2039
I work at tescos on the weekend on the tills and you sure as hell get your fair share of annoying customers lol some are so disrespectful towards you