The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I was watching The Hotel this evening and it reminded me of the time a posh old man in the hotel restaurant I used to work in demanded that he have a British waitress rather than the (very lovely and very competent) Polish girl who was serving him :colonhash:
Original post by A-J
I work at tescos on the weekend on the tills and you sure as hell get your fair share of annoying customers lol some are so disrespectful towards you

It might just be our store tbh.

Edit: Ha of course it's not just our store, I just wanted to say I know who you are *creep*. :colone:
Reply 2042
Original post by FluffyLion
It might just be our store tbh.

Edit: Ha of course it's not just our store, I just wanted to say I know who you are *creep*. :colone:

gaaaaa thats sooooooo creepy didn't think I would find anyone I know on here lol but it's true! some customers are disrespectful lol I'm sure you got some at your till too >.o
Original post by A-J
gaaaaa thats sooooooo creepy didn't think I would find anyone I know on here lol but it's true! some customers are disrespectful lol I'm sure you got some at your till too >.o

Do you have any idea who I am? Rich Townsend on TSR :wink:
Reply 2044
Original post by FluffyLion
Do you have any idea who I am? Rich Townsend on TSR :wink:

I do indeed know who you are not that hard to find out lol

Since when did Jono become Richard lol
Original post by A-J
I do indeed know who you are not that hard to find out lol

Since when did Jono become Richard lol

Haha I was just thinking that! My picture is on my profile etc... Scary thought, Rich being on TSR...! And yeah, I get too many ****wits at my till. Even more per hour on SS.
When people throw their cash at you to pay then walk off and expect you to follow after them to give them their change :angry:.

A bloke came in the other day and asked for a coffee. I asked what size and he stated, 'I just want a coffee.'
'Okay, I'll give you a tall size. Is that black?'
'I just want a damn coffee!'
'Right....' :sigh:.
mainly just people asking for ridiculous items, non of which actually pertain to the type of shop that I work in
Original post by Ultimate_Geek
When people throw their cash at you to pay then walk off and expect you to follow after them to give them their change :angry:.

A bloke came in the other day and asked for a coffee. I asked what size and he stated, 'I just want a coffee.'

I can sort of see where he's coming from, but I've never found it hard to say, "Small/Medium/Large black coffee."
Reply 2049
Original post by Ultimate_Geek

People don't understand that there's no such thing as 'just a coffee' :tongue:

At a cafe I used to work at, I went to take an order and the woman said she just wanted a coffee, "OK so just a white one then?"
She actually acted mortified at that suggestion. "No! A cappuccino!"
How foolish of me .... :facepalm2:

As for today, this family didn't leave for aaaaaaaaages after we closed. Then as they were leaving the dad said "I hope you're well paid" ...although I didn't really get what he meant by that....either way his teenage daughter acted mortified and was very apologetic.
Original post by Stacks

Well, yeah, there is. I always just order black coffee, and I'll get either filter coffee or an Americano.
Original post by Jace Falco
I can sort of see where he's coming from, but I've never found it hard to say, "Small/Medium/Large black coffee."

Original post by Stacks

At a cafe I used to work at, I went to take an order and the woman said she just wanted a coffee, "OK so just a white one then?"
She actually acted mortified at that suggestion. "No! A cappuccino!"
How foolish of me .... :facepalm2:

As for today, this family didn't leave for aaaaaaaaages after we closed. Then as they were leaving the dad said "I hope you're well paid" ...although I didn't really get what he meant by that....either way his teenage daughter acted mortified and was very apologetic.

I don't particularly mind going through the motions of explaining all the different types to them, but when they look at me like I've grown another head and talk down to me in a condescending manner, my inner crazy seeps out a little.
Reply 2052
Original post by Jace Falco
Well, yeah, there is. I always just order black coffee, and I'll get either filter coffee or an Americano.

But you ask for a black coffee right? I'm saying you can't order 'just a coffee' and expect the person to know what you want. I'd assume it to be either a black or white since they're 'normal' coffees...but the customer still needs to specify what coffee they want. :tongue:
Yesterday I was working some stock on the beer/wine/water aisle, which is also where the freezer cabinet is (we're a small store). I was stood right next to the freezer when a guy came storming up to me and demanded "Do you have ice then?". "We should do, have you already checked the freezer?" I replied politely, pointing behind me at the full shelf of bagged ice on his eye level. "Oh..."

GRR.

Also, again, people who think that just because I work in a shop that sells medical products, I know everything about the effects and side effects and have taken every single one of them myself so know exactly what they do.

"Will this act quickly on my tickly sore throat?"
"Which is better for a headache that hurts here *points* asprin or paracetamol? Or ibruprofen? Or panadol? Or or or these?"
"Which of these condoms do you prefer?" (I swear to god. I had to tell him that as I'm allergic to latex I'd actually never used any of the ones we stock.)

We had a gypsy looking girl in the other day, you know the type, orange face, bleach blonde hair and white tracksuit, totally rude and uncommunicative. I was halfway through serving her when she LUNGES for health and beauty and grabs one of the cheap pregnancy tests, keeping her body between it and the door at all times. After I'd scanned it she pulled out a horribly sweaty £10 note, not just out of her bra but she dug around under her pit for a good 20 seconds to extract it, and I mean this is on a really hot day in a store with less than satisfactory air con. After I give her her change she then proceeds to totally go to town on this pregnancy test box, they're pretty hard to get into and an awkward shape to prevent theft so it was pretty tough. She actually asked me at one point if I had some scissors to get into the box with and I hid the pallete knife in my pocket and said no because I was having so much fun watching her struggle, and there wasn't anyone waiting behind her :p: eventually she gets into it, throws the mangled packaging at me and STUFFS THE TEST INTO HER BRA, UNDER HER PIT and legs it.

We were seriously wondering whether it'd end with her just dropping trou and using the pee stick right there.

(that's one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2054
Original post by getinthevan
We had a gypsy looking girl in the other day, you know the type, orange face, bleach blonde hair and white tracksuit, totally rude and uncommunicative. I was halfway through serving her when she LUNGES for health and beauty and grabs one of the cheap pregnancy tests, keeping her body between it and the door at all times. After I'd scanned it she pulled out a horribly sweaty £10 note, not just out of her bra but she dug around under her pit for a good 20 seconds to extract it, and I mean this is on a really hot day in a store with less than satisfactory air con. After I give her her change she then proceeds to totally go to town on this pregnancy test box, they're pretty hard to get into and an awkward shape to prevent theft so it was pretty tough. She actually asked me at one point if I had some scissors to get into the box with and I hid the pallete knife in my pocket and said no because I was having so much fun watching her struggle, and there wasn't anyone waiting behind her :p: eventually she gets into it, throws the mangled packaging at me and STUFFS THE TEST INTO HER BRA, UNDER HER PIT and legs it.

We were seriously wondering whether it'd end with her just dropping trou and using the pee stick right there.

(that's one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet)

:lolwut:

I'm kind of glad I don't know you in real life
Original post by derp

I'm kind of glad I do :teehee:
Original post by derp

If she hadn't have been so rude to me then I would have helped her, and to be fair we're not really supposed to hand stuff over like scissors or pallete knives as they could be used as a weapon against us, especially when we're stood behind the till.
The mcdonalds i work at is being refurbished at the minute. We have had drive thru refurbished, and now instore is closed because of being refurbished and just drive thru is open.
The amount of people who have tried to walk round drive thru, often in the middle of a queue of cars, is stupid. Its called the drive thru for a reason, because you can only go around in a car. And most of the customers seem mistified when we tell them that we cant serve them when they walk round and they can only go round in a car. They would never normally dream of doing that.
Every time, we have to explain that they cant walk round and get served, because we arent insured to let them do that, for if they get run over by a car or anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2058
Worst Sunday ever. I had them ALL today.

1) Children who pick up a bunch of stuff, then ask "I have £6, is that enough?" I have no bloody idea, I don't know the total for all these items nor can I add them up in a nano-second. One of them, who I know doesn't go to school and is with a family known as "gypsies" is the worst. She looks malnourished and judging by her voice her parents must only feed her helium.

2) Posh old women. Slam their stuff down, and just smell disgusting. For someone who carries themself with such smugness and high-self regard, you'd think they would have attended to their own hygiene - dirty nails and horrendous breath.

3) Foreigners... I have had some very, very pleasant people in. A family from Germany actually made an effort to communicate instead of pointing and grunting. Anyway, today's foreign offering was a Polish couple. They just kept going back and forth getting stuff with no regard for those who were waiting. They kept me on for 15 minutes after I was supposed to finish. They didn't even say "thanks"

4) Awkward older men. This man was asking for a crate of John Smiths, I told him we don't have any. He basically signals for me to come down and get one. I said 3 times that we don't have it. He opts for 8 single cans, but instead of just taking the first 8, he digs them ALL out to get ones that are ringed together in 4s leaving a mess and the time spent doing this POINTLESS REARRANGEMENT resulted in a queue.

All of this in ONE day. If one person had made a sly comment, I probably would have went ape at them, I was tired and just the worst people came in.
To against the thread subject, I had probably the nicest man in today. He made an effort to speak, even helped passing his stuff up to me whilst holding a conversation - nothing of great importance but I'm sure you ALL know how pleasant it is when customers show even an ounce of respect. Anyway, this man had only one arm. He manages to help me, and didn't let his disability allow him to become miserable. I don't know where I'm going with this, but it was just a nice change.
Reply 2059
Original post by burial
Worst Sunday ever. I had them ALL today.

All of this in ONE day. If one person had made a sly comment, I probably would have went ape at them, I was tired and just the worst people came in.

I hate sundays :frown: I was waiting for somebody to do something so I could get all mad at them :colone: Wasn't in the mood at all today either.

We hardly have any people in on a sunday (and they tend to be part timers too...)

So I was out on dining area and the people on tills were being so slow and we had a massive queue. My managers were doing naff all too. Very frustrating indeed.

Latest

Trending

Trending