The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by burial

Loving the one armed man story! Funny how the ones that you mihgt think have a right to be grumpy usually aren't!
I had mainly nice customers on my 8 hour shift yesterday, which is always nice. :smile:

There were a few rude ones though.

One woman snapped at me that she didn't have time to waste after she said something had gone through at the wrong price. As soon as she said it, I buzzed for the supervisor but it was a packed Saturday afternoon. Less than 60 seconds after I'd buzzed, she snapped and stormed off. :/

Also, I had a few customers that seem to think if you work on a checkout you are a personal servant. The ones who refuse to pack up their things when they are perfectly able-bodied and instead stand there doing nothing. It annoys me because I do help pack, especially if someone is unable or is on their own with a full trolley of stuff, but I don't like it when people think I should do it for them just so they can stand around doing nothing. It isn't my shopping. If you want it, you pack it and pay for it. Just like I have to when I go shopping. :/

I can't wait until I finish! :smile:
Reply 2062
Original post by Teao the Cat
Loving the one armed man story! Funny how the ones that you mihgt think have a right to be grumpy usually aren't!

Ha, I didn't where I was going to go with it... I guess it's just that he carried himself with grace, if you know what I mean? Didn't make a big deal out of it. It's refreshing to see people like that :smile:
Oh yeah. Don't forget the overly flirty customers.

I'm 17... and you're 57. Erm... really?? :colonhash:
Original post by Emma:-)
The mcdonalds i work at is being refurbished at the minute. We have had drive thru refurbished, and now instore is closed because of being refurbished and just drive thru is open.
The amount of people who have tried to walk round drive thru, often in the middle of a queue of cars, is stupid. Its called the drive thru for a reason, because you can only go around in a car. And most of the customers seem mistified when we tell them that we cant serve them when they walk round and they can only go round in a car. They would never normally dream of doing that.
Every time, we have to explain that they cant walk round and get served, because we arent insured to let them do that, for if they get run over by a car or anything.

That would be very annoying, we got two weeks off intead when our store was refurbished. By the way, you say that people on foot can't go through drive thru....what about horses? :colone:

Heres a vid of one here
http://comedy.com/2010/10/04/guy-rides-horse-through-drive-thru/
Just got my first retail job.. reading this thread, what the hell have I let myself into? :afraid:

Although, anything is better than my old bar job..
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Just got my first retail job.. reading this thread, what the hell have I let myself into? :afraid:

Although, anything is better than my old bar job..

You get used to it. And generally the one nice customer you get per day makes up for all the crappy ones.

I start work again in less than a month. The new store that I'm working in is notorious for all the smack dealers and addicts who stand outside - the phone boxes are right by it, so they tend to deal in there... Could be interesting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by psychocustard

You get used to it. And generally the one nice customer you get per day makes up for all the crappy ones.

Totally agree with this. I could be feeling awful dealing with dicks all day but just one person who genuinely smiles and is nice makes you feel so much better! I wish I had more of them :moon:
Original post by Consilio Et Animis
Totally agree with this. I could be feeling awful dealing with dicks all day but just one person who genuinely smiles and is nice makes you feel so much better! I wish I had more of them :moon:

Christmas was awful at work - we had such heavy snowfall, and it was only myself and my manager who could get in. We had some of the worst people in the world, but then you had people who were genuinely lovely to you, and offered to help you out rather than just standing there wondering why we couldn't go any faster! There was actually one woman when I was working in Portsmouth who helped me realise I really didn't want to be there any more, and gave me the confidence to jack in my crappy uni course and move on :p:

I worked at WHSmith at an airport last summer and used to get some horrible people coming through (people going on holiday are not as happy as you think they should be) but it's true that you'd always get the nice ones that would ask how I was, or would actually seem to appreciate the fact that I was standing there at 4am serving them with a smile on my face. One day I was working on my own in the small shop down by one of the gates and an old lady came in, bought a packet of starburst and gave me one - I nearly cried at the thought of someone being so nice!
Original post by coolh5000
I worked at WHSmith at an airport last summer and used to get some horrible people coming through (people going on holiday are not as happy as you think they should be) but it's true that you'd always get the nice ones that would ask how I was, or would actually seem to appreciate the fact that I was standing there at 4am serving them with a smile on my face. One day I was working on my own in the small shop down by one of the gates and an old lady came in, bought a packet of starburst and gave me one - I nearly cried at the thought of someone being so nice!

I love customers like that! As cliche as it sounds, there are some customers who make it all worth it :smile:
We had a right twunt in tonight. Me and my colleague are stood at the customer service desk, and a bloke comes over with a trolley with some stuff in. He walks over to the tills next to us, which blatantly don't have any staff there, whilst talking on his phone on loudspeaker. I say 'Can I help?', and he ignored me. My colleague went to transfer some money from till to till for a scratchcard payout, and the bloke starts to put the shopping on the counter. He then proceeds to hand me a pack of reduced cream cakes, the box for which is ever so slightly damaged in just one corner. He didn't say anything, just gave it to me. I asked him if he wanted them swapping, he shouted at me 'No, they're all like that. That's illegal that is.' I looked at my colleague, who smiled knowingly, and then I went to put them back on the shelf. He comes in all the time apparently and does the same thing. What's annoying is that he must've either brought it with him knowing he didn't want it.
Reply 2072
I keep getting really stupid customers lately. I can't even remember what they're doing but urgh, soooo annoying.

Had the classic voucher today, gave them the food, "where's my drink?"
If you read the voucher then you'd see you don't get a drink
Even if it did include a drink you never said which one you wanted. Sake.

Had a guy come in and ask for a medium meal then wanted a large milkshake to drink.
Someone ordered a medium meal but didn't want a drink after I put it through.

People have been so mesmerised by the contactless card payments that rolled out today.
Had to explain what it was so many times. Someone even said "Oooh when did you start taking card payments?"
Original post by bananafuntime
That would be very annoying, we got two weeks off intead when our store was refurbished. By the way, you say that people on foot can't go through drive thru....what about horses? :colone:

Heres a vid of one here
http://comedy.com/2010/10/04/guy-rides-horse-through-drive-thru/

A story about a horse and cart being refused to be served at a mcdonalds was on my local news channel today lol. McDonalds refused to serve them as it wasnt a car, so they went across the road to the KFC drive thru instead and got served there haha. Jeez, they must have been stuck for news stories today lol
Reply 2074
My local Mcdonalds lets us walk through the drive through (at night when the main restaurant isn't open anyway). Quite handy when I'm on night shifts (I work pretty much next door to it) just wander round instead oh having to start up the car
Ah well, I'm glad my Mcdonalds doesn't have drive thru, having to do it inside is enough for me. My day has been very busy, and I have blisters to prove it! I don't know if anyone else has this problem but at the Mcdonalds I work at we have several tills, and we had six on today, yet, nearly EVERYONE has to stand in one big fooking queue at the back of the store so that the line ends up going out the door. Its even worse when they make two, and then you end up calling 'whos next please' and the one person will come up and begin ordering when someone who was in the other queue will say 'EXCUSE ME?!?!?!?! I have been waiting longer!!!!! Well if you all lined up in six individual queues we wouldnt have this problem, yet when you try to split the one massive queue they ignore you. ... bah, sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

On a good note, I am 'olympic champion of the month! woopdeedoo!' XD. (basically employee of the month) I was so chuffed :P I won a T-shirt
Original post by bananafuntime
Ah well, I'm glad my Mcdonalds doesn't have drive thru, having to do it inside is enough for me. My day has been very busy, and I have blisters to prove it! I don't know if anyone else has this problem but at the Mcdonalds I work at we have several tills, and we had six on today, yet, nearly EVERYONE has to stand in one big fooking queue at the back of the store so that the line ends up going out the door. Its even worse when they make two, and then you end up calling 'whos next please' and the one person will come up and begin ordering when someone who was in the other queue will say 'EXCUSE ME?!?!?!?! I have been waiting longer!!!!! Well if you all lined up in six individual queues we wouldnt have this problem, yet when you try to split the one massive queue they ignore you. ... bah, sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

On a good note, I am 'olympic champion of the month! woopdeedoo!' XD. (basically employee of the month) I was so chuffed :P I won a T-shirt

It annoys me when theres 2 queues as simialr to what you say if I am there first and another till becomes free or open and I see someone who has been waiting before me I expect them to go first, the amount of times I get people huffing behind me and giving me abuse for being slow/thick

Also what annoys me is lets say theres a queue at my local iceland where you queue in front of the freezers and someone goes in the queue but goes through loads of stuff in freezer at same time, well to me then they arent in queue and they moan at me for pushing in!

I dont mind someone say seeing something in freezer as they are queueing up then opening it then taking it, but people behind you/me in the queue take this to mean you have to go to back of line and give you abuse.
Original post by drbluebox
It annoys me when theres 2 queues as simialr to what you say if I am there first and another till becomes free or open and I see someone who has been waiting before me I expect them to go first, the amount of times I get people huffing behind me and giving me abuse for being slow/thick

Also what annoys me is lets say theres a queue at my local iceland where you queue in front of the freezers and someone goes in the queue but goes through loads of stuff in freezer at same time, well to me then they arent in queue and they moan at me for pushing in!

I dont mind someone say seeing something in freezer as they are queueing up then opening it then taking it, but people behind you/me in the queue take this to mean you have to go to back of line and give you abuse.

I know what you mean! When are queues ever simple. Thats another one that I hate about queues, when I'm shouting 'whos next please' usually for the sixth time, I usually attract people that were half way down the queue and got sick of the person infront just standing there, or I get the people who have just walked into the store and didn't realise the queue, and again when they start telling me there order, I end up getting abuse from everyone else in the queue cause they were there first bla bla bla.

'Well I did shout about six times!!!'

Next time your in a queue when the till operator is calling next please and the person infront is half asleep, I would just go for it to be honest, its there own daft fault. :smile:
My second day working in a pharmacy:
woman asks me for glycerin suppositories- had absolutely no clue what they were and went to the back of the dispensary for help but seeing everyone there were busy I asked the lady myself what they were for.......BIG mistake

"they're the things you shove up your **** when you can't go to the toilet!" she snapped and stormed out the shop.

:eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dr Wasted
My second day working in a pharmacy:
woman asks me for glycerin suppositories- had absolutely no clue what they were and went to the back of the dispensary for help but seeing everyone there were busy I asked the lady myself what they were for.......BIG mistake

"they're the things you shove up your **** when you can't go to the toilet!" she snapped and stormed out the shop.

:eek:

Oh god, poor you! I think I would of died if that happened to me. I feel for you xx

Latest

Trending

Trending