Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Annoying customers

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    It annoys me when theres 2 queues as simialr to what you say if I am there first and another till becomes free or open and I see someone who has been waiting before me I expect them to go first, the amount of times I get people huffing behind me and giving me abuse for being slow/thick

Also what annoys me is lets say theres a queue at my local iceland where you queue in front of the freezers and someone goes in the queue but goes through loads of stuff in freezer at same time, well to me then they arent in queue and they moan at me for pushing in!

I dont mind someone say seeing something in freezer as they are queueing up then opening it then taking it, but people behind you/me in the queue take this to mean you have to go to back of line and give you abuse.
    I know what you mean! When are queues ever simple. Thats another one that I hate about queues, when I'm shouting 'whos next please' usually for the sixth time, I usually attract people that were half way down the queue and got sick of the person infront just standing there, or I get the people who have just walked into the store and didn't realise the queue, and again when they start telling me there order, I end up getting abuse from everyone else in the queue cause they were there first bla bla bla.

'Well I did shout about six times!!!'

Next time your in a queue when the till operator is calling next please and the person infront is half asleep, I would just go for it to be honest, its there own daft fault.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My second day working in a pharmacy:
    woman asks me for glycerin suppositories- had absolutely no clue what they were and went to the back of the dispensary for help but seeing everyone there were busy I asked the lady myself what they were for.......BIG mistake

"they're the things you shove up your **** when you can't go to the toilet!" she snapped and stormed out the shop.

:eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Wasted)
    My second day working in a pharmacy:
    woman asks me for glycerin suppositories- had absolutely no clue what they were and went to the back of the dispensary for help but seeing everyone there were busy I asked the lady myself what they were for.......BIG mistake

"they're the things you shove up your **** when you can't go to the toilet!" she snapped and stormed out the shop.

:eek:
    Oh god, poor you! I think I would of died if that happened to me. I feel for you xx
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail reader yesterday bemoaning to me that the fact we have to put security tags on footwear stock that is put out on the shop floor is 'bureaucracy gone mad'*. Aye, right ye are. We'll just leave it totally unprotected then, just for your benefit.

*she really did say those exact words, beyond parody these cants.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a cashier, but I am trained and get called to go on tills when it's suddenly and unexpectedly really busy. Therefore each time I open a till it is for the benefit of the people who have been waiting the longest in the queues at the other tills - not for the benefit of the person who timed their arrival to tills with me opening my queue-less till! :mad: I really feel for the customers who get inconvenienced by this.

As much as I hate the people who complain about queues (we don't want them either!), I do see their point when there are free tills that a trained colleague could jump on. If however, like today, all tills are manned there is nothing else we can do about the queue - so don't complain!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I worked in a gift shop in London and people were forever moaning about the price of the cards. They all had little price tickets on them and there were plenty for under £2, but no: they had to pick up the £4.95 ones with all the glitter and fancy bits, and then moan about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The other night I was working at a different store in our area, which has clearly marked self serve and till queue lines. I'd called someone to help me as there was about 4 customers in my line, and everything was fine until a woman who had been in the self serve queue (there was a machine free and everything) stormed over in front of the man I'd just called to my till and said "EXCUSE ME, I was here before this man." So I calmly pointed out the signs and said it was a different queue, that I was very sorry but if she wanted serving by a person and not to use the machine she'd have to join the end of my queue. She refused to believe that she was wrong, said it was disgusting that I was so stupid that I couldn't tell who'd been first in either queue (I serve who's first in my queue then call over people from self serve if I have nobody waiting!) and THREW HER PACKET OF PARACETAMOL AT MY HEAD and left.

The thing that most annoyed me though was that I apologized to the man I'd been about to serve for the little hiccup in his customer experience and he didn't even thank me for not letting the woman push in, he continued to be totally grumpy for the whole transaction!

Plus then a woman who looked under 25, so I ID'd her, who then got annoyed and walked out as she had apparently NEVER EVER been asked for ID. Her mum came in a minute later all angry saying I'd totally insulted her daughter and wanted to see my manager as I'd refused to serve her, as she'd asked for the exact same thing and told me who it was for, so I couldn't. He said the exact same thing, but then she kicked up so much of a fuss that he told me to just serve her (in my own store, we'd have just told her to jog on, but that manager backs down if they get annoyed..) - I had to point out to him later that she'd ranted about how her daughter was in her 30's, but then gave her age several times during her rant as being March 1983. Making her 28, and only just. If she's going to get that annoyed about it, I'd expect her to know her own daughters birthday.

In other news I started a new second job at an estate pub yesterday, all went really well and I got on with everyone, except a couple of the old men who are regulars, but not very sociable or friendly ones. As I'd never worked in a bar before it was a bit confusing serving all these old men, who all seemed to be called John, and some apparently usually had their drinks in special glasses, or didn't have a fresh glass between drinks. So I had to keep asking "Would you like a clean glass?" and they'd give me a funny look, especially one guy who looked like I'd just asked him if I could lick out the glass for him or something. I'll get used to it though I guess!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getinthevan)
    The other night I was working at a different store in our area, which has clearly marked self serve and till queue lines. I'd called someone to help me as there was about 4 customers in my line, and everything was fine until a woman who had been in the self serve queue (there was a machine free and everything) stormed over in front of the man I'd just called to my till and said "EXCUSE ME, I was here before this man." So I calmly pointed out the signs and said it was a different queue, that I was very sorry but if she wanted serving by a person and not to use the machine she'd have to join the end of my queue. She refused to believe that she was wrong, said it was disgusting that I was so stupid that I couldn't tell who'd been first in either queue (I serve who's first in my queue then call over people from self serve if I have nobody waiting!) and THREW HER PACKET OF PARACETAMOL AT MY HEAD and left.

The thing that most annoyed me though was that I apologized to the man I'd been about to serve for the little hiccup in his customer experience and he didn't even thank me for not letting the woman push in, he continued to be totally grumpy for the whole transaction!

Plus then a woman who looked under 25, so I ID'd her, who then got annoyed and walked out as she had apparently NEVER EVER been asked for ID. Her mum came in a minute later all angry saying I'd totally insulted her daughter and wanted to see my manager as I'd refused to serve her, as she'd asked for the exact same thing and told me who it was for, so I couldn't. He said the exact same thing, but then she kicked up so much of a fuss that he told me to just serve her (in my own store, we'd have just told her to jog on, but that manager backs down if they get annoyed..) - I had to point out to him later that she'd ranted about how her daughter was in her 30's, but then gave her age several times during her rant as being March 1983. Making her 28, and only just. If she's going to get that annoyed about it, I'd expect her to know her own daughters birthday.

In other news I started a new second job at an estate pub yesterday, all went really well and I got on with everyone, except a couple of the old men who are regulars, but not very sociable or friendly ones. As I'd never worked in a bar before it was a bit confusing serving all these old men, who all seemed to be called John, and some apparently usually had their drinks in special glasses, or didn't have a fresh glass between drinks. So I had to keep asking "Would you like a clean glass?" and they'd give me a funny look, especially one guy who looked like I'd just asked him if I could lick out the glass for him or something. I'll get used to it though I guess!
    God some customers are so rude! there was no need for her to chuck them at your head. I think she needs a chill pill, not paracetemol.:rolleyes:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was again pulled onto the tills when it was busy on Saturday, and served a really rude gentleman. :mad:

He asked to pay for some of his shopping with his Nectar card, saying he had at least a few thousand points, which I said was fine. Pressed a few buttons on the till, and it says he only has £2.50 to redeem, so I apologised and said this to him. He asked how many points he had, and I explained that I wouldn't be able to tell him that, but it will be at the end of his receipt. He started shouting at me "What? You must be able to find out! I DEMAND TO KNOW HOW MANY NECTAR POINTS I HAVE. NOW!"

In the end I had to call someone over, only to say the same thing I had said to him before. :sigh: He snatched his receipt out of my hand and surprise surprise, he didn't have as many points as he thought. He didn't apologise at all, not even to the 7 people queuing behind him.

You'd think Nectar Points were crack. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    I was again pulled onto the tills when it was busy on Saturday, and served a really rude gentleman. :mad:

He asked to pay for some of his shopping with his Nectar card, saying he had at least a few thousand points, which I said was fine. Pressed a few buttons on the till, and it says he only has £2.50 to redeem, so I apologised and said this to him. He asked how many points he had, and I explained that I wouldn't be able to tell him that, but it will be at the end of his receipt. He started shouting at me "What? You must be able to find out! I DEMAND TO KNOW HOW MANY NECTAR POINTS I HAVE. NOW!"

In the end I had to call someone over, only to say the same thing I had said to him before. :sigh: He snatched his receipt out of my hand and surprise surprise, he didn't have as many points as he thought. He didn't apologise at all, not even to the 7 people queuing behind him.

You'd think Nectar Points were crack. :rolleyes:
    They could have just done a balance enquiry on another till to shut him up. That's what we used to do when I worked in Sainsburys. I don't know why they disable that function once you have scanned something tbh.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    They could have just done a balance enquiry on another till to shut him up. That's what we used to do when I worked in Sainsburys. I don't know why they disable that function once you have scanned something tbh.
    It is silly. Recently, they disabled the 'quantity' function. It causes no end of problems. On Saturday, I had someone with 24 of one thing and plenty others with 6+ of a certain item. Given how busy it was and how there were no supervisors available [as they can over ride it and still use the quantity function], I just had to scan them all / scan one x number of times. Customers usually give me a funny look, especially as we used to be able to do it with one scan.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    It is silly. Recently, they disabled the 'quantity' function. It causes no end of problems. On Saturday, I had someone with 24 of one thing and plenty others with 6+ of a certain item. Given how busy it was and how there were no supervisors available [as they can over ride it and still use the quantity function], I just had to scan them all / scan one x number of times. Customers usually give me a funny look, especially as we used to be able to do it with one scan.
    You know, I've had that in Asda before, a cashier scanning everything instead of counting it (I bought like 8 smart price chocolate bars xD). I was confused why, as that is just wasting time really, but if they had the same problem as you then that would make sense.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Discovered a new type of rude customers... ones that are impatient and rude to people training. I was training up a new girl on the tills on saturday and there were at least 3 customers who were unnecessarily rude and impatient. Whereas most people appreciate the situation I don't get why some people can't.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    I wish I could! But all the tills were in use. :eek: If there was one free and he was politer I would have, but it was very busy so tough tootsies to him!

Removing the quantity function is such a pain! I feel very silly scanning the same item over and over and over and over... you get my point.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    Removing the quantity function is such a pain! I feel very silly scanning the same item over and over and over and over... you get my point.
    Definitely agree.
    As I said, I've had to do it 24+ times this week. It is enough to make you go mad lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when customers moan at you when you don't have stock because your superiors don't know what stock control is or what bills are.
    At my garage, my boss didn't pay a few invoices so we have had no chilled deliveries in a month now so our shelves are near empty, and, as you can imagine, as a cashier, it is my fault

Had an annoying woman this weekend who thought she could do my job better than me.
    We have an airline at the side of the shop building. She was trying to blow up her trailer tyres with the air line.
    Now, our airline gives out bursts of air rather than a continuous flow of air, otherwise it wouldn't measure the pressure and it could explode the tyres. She comes in and complains that the air isn't working so I politely say that i'll come out and try and fix the problem.

She tells me that its not a constant line of air, to which I reply that it's meant to go in bursts otherwise it can cause abnormalilites in the tyre and ruin them.
    She tells me "No, thats wrong, it has to be a continous flow otherwise it won't work. It was working fine the other day!"
    I asked her if she had used it before then and she said that she had and that it was a continuous flow of air. She told me that I'm young and don't know how to do my job before demanding a refund and issuing a complaint about me.
    My boss, who was on site at the time and had heard some of the argument, looked at the complaint form, laughed, and tore up the form. I love my boss at times haha
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Earlier today, we didnt have any fizzy drinks for a while. All of the fizzy drinks tasted like they had gone flat. So we had to not sell them untill it was sorted. It was ok though, because we had a maintinance guy come to sort it out. Plus we still had plenty of other drinks that people could have- still fanta, milkshakes, bottled drinks and hot drinks. Anyway, most customers where fine about it, but one customer who came round drive thru said "you havent got any fizzy drinks! thats ridiculous, surely that must be illegal".

Edit: is there a reason why i got neg repped for this?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Earlier today, we didnt have any fizzy drinks for a while. All of the fizzy drinks tasted like they had gone flat. So we had to not sell them untill it was sorted. It was ok though, because we had a maintinance guy come to sort it out. Plus we still had plenty of other drinks that people could have- still fanta, milkshakes, bottled drinks and hot drinks. Anyway, most customers where fine about it, but one customer who came round drive thru said "you havent got any fizzy drinks! thats ridiculous, surely that must be illegal".
    I've had similar things when the coffee machine at work broke (I work in a coffee place) most people were ok with it others got funny about it. I could see where they were coming from but it wasn't my fault and we were waiting on a technician to fix it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I know EXACTLY how you feel, yesterday our fizzy drinks went off, tasted disgusting and flat....but THEN! Our coffee machines went off and THEN the shakes and ice cream!! So we were left with bottle drinks and the amount of complaints we had was ridiculous. Dont blame them being unhappy, but its not my fault, its a technical fault
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Discovered a new type of rude customers... ones that are impatient and rude to people training. I was training up a new girl on the tills on saturday and there were at least 3 customers who were unnecessarily rude and impatient. Whereas most people appreciate the situation I don't get why some people can't.
    I've had this too, I normally say everyone's got to learn sometime to which I get... not on mine. Surely people can appreciate what it's like to be new at a job!
Updated: June 23, 2014
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.