The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by hobo06
The best bit about it is there are no customers in this job :biggrin:

That is what I aspire to have in the next 5 years... Retail is the worst.
Reply 2101
So I think I'm gonna have a major bitch moment.
Rant 1:
I work in a supermarket, known as 'M'
I work on self service a lot now, which are right by the entrance, so whenever it's windy they start to play up, not to mention they are pretty terrible systems anyway. So I'm there at 8am on a monday morning, it's already very busy and I'm running around trying to help the different customers on the SS and sort their problems out. All the while, other foreign customers who are unable to speak English are sitting there poking me and yelling at me, calling out "assistante" etc when I've already told them they have to wait two minutes while I help another customer. Urgh, I cant wait to leave this store.
Rant 2:
Working in the tobacco kiosk briefly one day, an elderly italian guy who struggles to understand me comes along and asks for a size of tobacco and brand that we don't sell, and when I explained this he starts claiming that another person who works in the kiosk and who has apparently worked in that store for two years was able to get some... this in a store that has been open for only six months. where I have been for the past seven months. God I hate customers like that.
Rant 3:
Rude People. This one drives me mad. it's very common amongst elderly people I've found although it can be anyone these days,a. I make every effort to be nice, polite and helpful the entire way through and many of them will just completely blank you, or just make everything more difficult. Example: I opened three bags for a lady while she unpacked her basket, she comes to the end, looks at the open bags, screws them up and starts opening more bags that she'd taken from the till next to us. I'm sitting there thinking Christ almighty? Others will just snatch their change, or put the cash right out of reach. so you have to physically get up and move around to pick it up.
I sometimes wonder about the human race when this stuff happens...

Edit: Negged four times for this.... wow someone doesn't like me
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2102
I volunteer at a charity shop every Saturday. Every week a lady comes in trying to bargain with me and I always tell her its not how it works. Its annoying because it's a charity shop.
Reply 2103
I used to work in a starbucks-style cafe bar, and cause we were that busy we had to give all drinks in takeaway cups, cause we had no 'real' cups left. One woman, who was a complete bitch threw the coffee back in my face, literally... it went all over me (which was boiling hot, hurt like hell). Aswell as being in a lot of pain i was humiliated infront of the whole store. xD
Original post by Abby :)
I used to work in a starbucks-style cafe bar, and cause we were that busy we had to give all drinks in takeaway cups, cause we had no 'real' cups left. One woman, who was a complete bitch threw the coffee back in my face, literally... it went all over me (which was boiling hot, hurt like hell). Aswell as being in a lot of pain i was humiliated infront of the whole store. xD

Some people... Did you get the police?

Original post by Emma:-)
Earlier today, we didnt have any fizzy drinks for a while. All of the fizzy drinks tasted like they had gone flat. So we had to not sell them untill it was sorted. It was ok though, because we had a maintinance guy come to sort it out. Plus we still had plenty of other drinks that people could have- still fanta, milkshakes, bottled drinks and hot drinks. Anyway, most customers where fine about it, but one customer who came round drive thru said "you havent got any fizzy drinks! thats ridiculous, surely that must be illegal".

Reminds me. Last Wednesday I was at the second store I work at on the customer service desk. A bloke comes up with a trolley with his shopping in over to the tobacco kiosk. The kiosk and the customer service desk are right next to each other, and myself and my colleague are stood at the service desk. We say "Are you alright there?" and he ignores us. My colleague went over to swap some money for a lottery payout he'd done earlier, and the bloke starts piling his shopping onto the kiosk counter. We shouldn't have served him to be honest, because he had so many items, but he's a ****. Next thing, he gives me this box of cream cakes that are reduced and have a slight dent in the packaging. I say 'Do you want me to swap them for you?', and he says 'No, they're all like that, that's illegal that is.' Completely serious. Apparently he's been in, gone to the bread, and taken all of the packs of bread with slightly open packs and put them on the floor, then found a manager to tell them how many packs are open. He's done this multiple times, and then on Friday, he got banned. ****. Yes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2105
Earlier today at the checkouts a lady next in line had gone to get something she forgot, and she came back and then asked me where her shopping is where she had an empty space between two dividers. She then went after the customer before her who was outside asking if she had bought her shopping by mistake. She then purchased the item she had forgotten and was unable to find her lost shopping, but then she found her missing shopping in her bag and said that she had already paid for it. Sometime later she came back to me, and paid for the previously lost shopping, because she then realised that she hadn’t in fact paid for it despite having asked her before.
Original post by FluffyLion
Some people... Did you get the police?

Reminds me. Last Wednesday I was at the second store I work at on the customer service desk. A bloke comes up with a trolley with his shopping in over to the tobacco kiosk. The kiosk and the customer service desk are right next to each other, and myself and my colleague are stood at the service desk. We say "Are you alright there?" and he ignores us. My colleague went over to swap some money for a lottery payout he'd done earlier, and the bloke starts piling his shopping onto the kiosk counter. We shouldn't have served him to be honest, because he had so many items, but he's a ****. Next thing, he gives me this box of cream cakes that are reduced and have a slight dent in the packaging. I say 'Do you want me to swap them for you?', and he says 'No, they're all like that, that's illegal that is.' Completely serious. Apparently he's been in, gone to the bread, and taken all of the packs of bread with slightly open packs and put them on the floor, then found a manager to tell them how many packs are open. He's done this multiple times, and then on Friday, he got banned. ****. Yes.

wtf? what a bell-end.

this thread makes me wonder about the state of humanity it really does
Reply 2107
I got negged for expressing my opinion on some customers? -.-'

Hm 8 Neggs.. Interesting.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2108
Original post by Sherin
I volunteer at a charity shop every Saturday. Every week a lady comes in trying to bargain with me and I always tell her its not how it works. Its annoying because it's a charity shop.

i saw that a lot in the oxfam!
"£2.99 for a John Grisham, ******* rip off! I'll give you 75p"

thankfully in there I was allowed to say "no, get out" :smile: so satisfying

in another note, a regional manager came into my work today and looked through my bag without asking or telling me, and planted her phone in there... i would have gone home with it if I hadn't looked in it for a pen, and it would have seemed like i stole it :/ .... going to send a formal complaint into the company methinks...
Original post by conway!

Original post by conway!

in another note, a regional manager came into my work today and looked through my bag without asking or telling me, and planted her phone in there... i would have gone home with it if I hadn't looked in it for a pen, and it would have seemed like i stole it :/ .... going to send a formal complaint into the company methinks...

That's awful!!!! Did she give a reason?
Reply 2110
Original post by Teao the Cat
That's awful!!!! Did she give a reason?

Nope, she just said "yes" when I asked if it was hers, completely unsurprised :eek:
she was a boot though, kept hiding the work I was marking (i'm a sort of tutoring assistant person) and then 10 minutes later complaining that I hadn't finished marking....um yeah, because you've got the work under your elbow:/

she was also mean to the cutest little student we have which is unforgivable!
Original post by Sherin

Theres nothing wrong with a bit of bartering as long as someone isnt just being greedy etc.

What is annoying about it happening in a charity shop? They have rules to go by like any other shop? A charity shop got stroppy with my parents last week after they sold a faulty fridge and expected my parents to let them off giving a refund as they were a charity!

My parents are on benefits for one and run their own charity off their benefits and know quite a few high up people in the big name charities who are raking in massive wages and travellling everywhere on planes first class etc.

You do realise that anything you can buy in a shop can be any price? I have bartered in Game before when I got my 360 and got it £50 cheaper than RRP with 2 games.

Thats why stores made it harder to barter, I can remember when Iw as a kid or teenager(am 27 now) going into shops and people reducing prices for us with no issue, so companies changed it so only people like supevisors and managers can authorise it(it was also as people were giving their friends discounts)
Reply 2112
Original post by drbluebox
Theres nothing wrong with a bit of bartering as long as someone isnt just being greedy etc.

I find it a bit annoying too because generally the prices are extremely fair (as-new CDs were on average £2) plus every penny you're bartering away is coming off the charity, although I suppose a negotiated sale is better than none.
It's more the staff aren't trained to know the value, charity shops tend to be older people, people that aren't really fit for employment elsewhere or young people wanting references (at least that was the type of people my whole shop was made up of) so aren't brilliant at negotiation, might find it a bit aggressive.
Just remembered, when I was on the till Saturday this chav couple was standing across from me snogging :sigh: I could nearly see them dribbling, it was that bad! I'm happy you're happy together but get a room or something :colonhash:
Anyone got any tales of refusing people for alcohol/cigarettes if they haven't got ID?! I hate doing it it's proper awkward especially when the person hasn't got ID and says "ooh I'm 27 " when they're clearly not!
Original post by Abby :)

What happened after that? That's really bad :eek:
Original post by thecdon
Anyone got any tales of refusing people for alcohol/cigarettes if they haven't got ID?! I hate doing it it's proper awkward especially when the person hasn't got ID and says "ooh I'm 27 " when they're clearly not!

We don't sell fake nails to under 18s because of the glue... Anyway I asked for ID of a girl, she looked older than 18 but with Think 25 I wasn't quite sure.... She was like "Seriously? I'm 24 :rolleyes: " - "Okay cool, can I see ID then?" - "I'm not having this" *storms out* I mean what is so wrong with proving your age? No, really? I'm always happy to show my ID :dontknow:
Original post by whitepearlbaby
We don't sell fake nails to under 18s because of the glue... Anyway I asked for ID of a girl, she looked older than 18 but with Think 25 I wasn't quite sure.... She was like "Seriously? I'm 24 :rolleyes: " - "Okay cool, can I see ID then?" - "I'm not having this" *storms out* I mean what is so wrong with proving your age? No, really? I'm always happy to show my ID :dontknow:

Exactly this. I always have my driving licence on me (as long as I have my wallet, lol) because my wallet is the easiest place to store it. Anywhere else, you'd lose it, right? And it's not like these rules have only just come in, they've been around for quite a few years, and surely younger people would get used to carrying things like that with them?

I've been working for another store recently, and on self-service, I always go to ID the young chavvy guys that come in in groups, but never the students, yet the students have always got their ID out for me to check :tongue: makes life easier I suppose...
Original post by thecdon

I ID hot girls and chavs for lols.
Reply 2119
Original post by thecdon

Yush, It's amazing how annoyed people get. I ID'd one group of girls who'd been refused previously, they get really pissy and were like oh "is it because of her, cause she's just my little sister, she's not drinking" etc... The only one with ID was only 18 by a month so they didn't react well when they realised they all needed it...

Latest

Trending

Trending