The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenny_uk
Yush, It's amazing how annoyed people get. I ID'd one group of girls who'd been refused previously, they get really pissy and were like oh "is it because of her, cause she's just my little sister, she's not drinking" etc... The only one with ID was only 18 by a month so they didn't react well when they realised they all needed it...

It's incredible to me that situations like that occur, considering how easy it is to get your one mate who's over 18 to go and get all the booze. Our favourite trick was walking into the store with a trolley, going round the long way, stocking up, getting that mate to go to the till, and going around and getting something else for ourselves.

Not that I ever did that...

It's hilarious when kids try that but they walk straight past the checkouts. ****ing obvious what's happening there.
[QUOTE='rach [shikari];31717621']A story about a horse and cart being refused to be served at a mcdonalds was on my local news channel today lol. McDonalds refused to serve them as it wasnt a car, so they went across the road to the KFC drive thru instead and got served there haha. Jeez, they must have been stuck for news stories today lol

I've done that :colone:. They gave us some ice for the horses too :u:.

A customer came in the other day and asked if we had any shortbread cookies. I told her I'd go and check but I didn't think we had.

I checked and re-checked but we didn't have any.

She tells me to 'go check again' because she's 'sure we do'.

I check.....again - we don't as you'd expect.

She tells me that 'it just isn't on' and flomps out the store. Bit odd :lolwut:.
Reply 2122
Original post by FluffyLion
It's incredible to me that situations like that occur, considering how easy it is to get your one mate who's over 18 to go and get all the booze. Our favourite trick was walking into the store with a trolley, going round the long way, stocking up, getting that mate to go to the till, and going around and getting something else for ourselves.

Not that I ever did that...

It's hilarious when kids try that but they walk straight past the checkouts. ****ing obvious what's happening there.

Your not wrong there. It's worse when, like in my case, they come with the person buying it for them, picked up chewing gum and put it right behind that person, then started chatting to them while waiting...
Reply 2123
Original post by Kenny_uk
Your not wrong there. It's worse when, like in my case, they come with the person buying it for them, picked up chewing gum and put it right behind that person, then started chatting to them while waiting...

so ridiculously awkward sometimes.

I ID'd two guys chatting to each other in the queue in my old supermarket job, and the 1st guy gave me his, then the second patted his pockets then went 'we don't know each other, just met in the queue.' and I asked him, so where's all your shopping... he picked up the first packet of chewing gum he saw and plonked it down. It was only my second day so after 5 minutes of worrying and them insisting they were strangers I finally just sold them.
The 1st guy was 24 and the second guy looked similar, so I'm certain I didn't sell to underagers and he just forgot his ID, but it was still so awkward that they were lying to me, because as soon as I served the 2nd guy he met back up with the 1st guy and walked out chatting :angry: could just imagine them going "what an idiot" :tongue:
Reply 2124
Original post by conway!

I ID'd two guys chatting to each other in the queue in my old supermarket job, and the 1st guy gave me his, then the second patted his pockets then went 'we don't know each other, just met in the queue.' and I asked him, so where's all your shopping... he picked up the first packet of chewing gum he saw and plonked it down. It was only my second day so after 5 minutes of worrying and them insisting they were strangers I finally just sold them.
The 1st guy was 24 and the second guy looked similar, so I'm certain I didn't sell to underagers and he just forgot his ID, but it was still so awkward that they were lying to me, because as soon as I served the 2nd guy he met back up with the 1st guy and walked out chatting :angry: could just imagine them going "what an idiot" :tongue:

It's an awkward job yeah, but it's money I guess. I hate the ones who act insulted or whatever over it. I'm always surprised but complimented when I get asked for ID, even for Lottery tickets which does happen regardless of me being 20.
Original post by conway!

I know what you mean. It is like when you have an adult who appears to be with their teenage child, only you've watched the teenager pick up the alcohol off the shelf etc and it appears to be for them. Technically, we are told to ID the teenager but it can get a bit awkward.

Sometimes though, you can misjudge people. Often, we have groups of young lads come in buying cans and stuff. I have to ID them all and sometimes worry that one or two might kick off [perhaps because they are underage or because they don't have ID]. However, in over 8 months, that's never happened to me. They've always been ready with ID and if not, they have just accepted that I can't sell it to them. :redface:
Original post by affinity89
I know what you mean. It is like when you have an adult who appears to be with their teenage child, only you've watched the teenager pick up the alcohol off the shelf etc and it appears to be for them. Technically, we are told to ID the teenager but it can get a bit awkward.

Sometimes though, you can misjudge people. Often, we have groups of young lads come in buying cans and stuff. I have to ID them all and sometimes worry that one or two might kick off [perhaps because they are underage or because they don't have ID]. However, in over 8 months, that's never happened to me. They've always been ready with ID and if not, they have just accepted that I can't sell it to them. :redface:

They dont kick off if you make them feel tiny.
Reply 2127

People like that I love. Perfectly reasonable and prepared for it. Often because they've been in the same situation as us
Reply 2128
i had a calendar shop last year, a customer came in and asked if we had any calendars for 2011, my partner answered 'yes, all of them are for 2011, are you looking for a particular one?' the answer :- one with all the months and days in!
Yeah, I work in a shop in what you might call a "rough" part of the town. We have a resident alcoholic who enjoys moping around ordering everyone about. We have customers who ask for big orders right when we close. We've had 3 attempted and 1 succesful theft of charity boxes, one knife fight and one hammer fight resulting in some guy getting his knees smashed in.

Love my job srs
Reply 2130
Original post by xnatalie01x
What happened after that? That's really bad :eek:

The security came and threw the woman out hahaha, and that was really the end of it. My manager was an evil woman so she had no sympathy really ahaha. xD I went in the back room and cried and she still dragged me out to work 5 minutes later. I ended up quitting that job. :wink: Hahahah!!
Reply 2131
there was also the oft repeated classic:
me: hi there, can i help you
customer: i'm looking for a calendar

can you guess what we sold?
(edited 12 years ago)
I had a guy ask if we sold swimming goggles, I work in WHSmiths.
Was in a shop yesterday, this woman in front of me who had about 3 items decided to only go into her purse after the checkout girl told ther the amount then decided she wanted to look for her coins, then double checked her bag that she had everything, then even though by this time I had paid for my shopping I was unable to pack it as the woman was standing at the bit with the bags so I couldnt walk around her.

She must of been quite dim!
Reply 2134
Original post by thecdon
Anyone got any tales of refusing people for alcohol/cigarettes if they haven't got ID?! I hate doing it it's proper awkward especially when the person hasn't got ID and says "ooh I'm 27 " when they're clearly not!

I got ID'd for a 12 rated DVD the other week...I'm 22. I've never seen an 11 year old with a beard like mine (or even stubble for that matter).
I didn't kick up a fuss, I work in retail, she's doing her job, I get that . I was just really surprised. She was so apologetic when I showed her my driving licence though (it's pink, she still checked the DoB), said I had a young face.
Original post by hobo06
I got ID'd for a 12 rated DVD the other week...I'm 22. I've never seen an 11 year old with a beard like mine (or even stubble for that matter).
I didn't kick up a fuss, I work in retail, she's doing her job, I get that . I was just really surprised. She was so apologetic when I showed her my driving licence though (it's pink, she still checked the DoB), said I had a young face.

In the space of a week I was I'd once for a pair of scissors(by a girl who looked about 17) and another time for a kitchen knife and another time for glue.

I am 27 and people at uni leave me out of stuff as they think I am old.

So it was a weird situation!
Original post by hobo06

>She.
Original post by drbluebox
In the space of a week I was I'd once for a pair of scissors(by a girl who looked about 17) and another time for a kitchen knife and another time for glue.

Did you know, our checkout/PC system also triggers an ID request/age verification screen when you scan teaspoons. :confused: I've no idea what they think people are going to do. Go mad and attack people lol? I've never IDed anyone for teaspoons though. I'd be too embarrassed to ask!
Did you know, our checkout/PC system also triggers an ID request/age verification screen when you scan teaspoons. :confused: I've no idea what they think people are going to do. Go mad and attack people lol? I've never IDed anyone for teaspoons though. I'd be too embarrassed to ask!

You have to ID for spoons because they're drug-related paraphernalia, like lighters, rolling paper, filters (although for us they don't come up on screen as needing ID).
Original post by drbluebox
Was in a shop yesterday, this woman in front of me who had about 3 items decided to only go into her purse after the checkout girl told ther the amount then decided she wanted to look for her coins, then double checked her bag that she had everything, then even though by this time I had paid for my shopping I was unable to pack it as the woman was standing at the bit with the bags so I couldnt walk around her.

She must of been quite dim!

I'm surprised this is the first time you've encountered this. These sort of people make up at least 50% of the customers shopping at our place. They get one item, ONE, stand at the till and ask "how much is that please?" WHILE I'm saying the amount (which pisses me off) then start to look for their purse "HAHA it's always at the bottom of the bag isn't it?" is a phrase I get to hear 5-10 times a day... Then count out their change. "oooh 99p, I'll see if I can find some change for you love" :sigh:

Also bad, people who buy a Mars bar for like 50p and shove their card down the card reader without me even saying anything. "Ummm sorry but it has to be £2 for a card payment" ARRGH.

Latest

Trending

Trending