The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

People have mentioned having problem customers when they close.
I have had the opposite problem before. There have been mornings when we have started work at 6am so that we have all stock out and everything set up for when we open at 7am.
People have come round drive thru or come knocking on the door wanting to be served. They are like "are you open?". Does it look like we are open when there are 3 of us in the building getting stuff out, with the doors locked and with no customers whatsoever in the restaurant? of course we arent open!!!
Reply 201
I know this thread is getting old now, but I had to share this. As usual, there were customers still around after closing. at 4.15 I thought the last customer left, but the store manager tells me there is still people up the other end of the store. So I do another announcement informing them we are closed. At 20 past, they have still not left, so I go to find them myself.
Me: 'Excuse me, we are waiting to close.'
Customers (it's a family, 2 adults 2 children): 'Oh, nobody told us.'
Me: 'I have been putting out announcements since 10 minutes before closing.'
Customers: 'We didn't hear it, we literally only just came in.'
B*ll*cks, they are the other end of the store, the manager saw them there before I did the last announcement 5 minutes ago.
Me: 'Well we are waiting to close the doors'
I head back to the front, as they follow me slowly (they've not actually picked up anything to buy in this time). I let the manager know what's happening, and he asks if they are foreign; 'No they're English, they understand perfectly well' and he calls bull**** too on the not hearing the announcements.
I hold the doors open for them as they finally get there (still nothing to buy) and the manager does his sarcastic 'Thank you' as they walk out, and then the woman looks at me, points at me, and makes a throat slitting motion with her finger. I look at her confused, 'Sorry?' She ignores me and continues walking out. I laugh as I close the doors and say to the manager 'Should I take that as a death threat?' 'Yep, they're going to be waiting outside when you finish.'

I've had ignorant customers before, completely ignoring all announcements and continue shopping. But never anything like that. And the way they just strolled casually, and never even picked up anything with the intention of buying suggests they were doing it for the sole purpose of pissing us off. What a great family outing that was for them.

Revive this thread fellow sales assistants!
I work at River Island and we are having a sale at the moment. A foreign guy comes in on the first day of the non clothing sale (shoes, accessories, bags) and buys 10 pairs of shoes. Later in the day he comes back and buys another 9 pairs of shoes. 19 pairs of shoes in one day! :eek:

Anyway two days later we launch our clothing sale and half way through the day he comes in and goes to buy another 10 pairs of shoes, both times before he has paid with a credit card and today is no different only this time it flashes up on screen to ring the credit card company (obviously nearly 30 pairs of shoes in 2 days is a little suspicious behaviour) so the card is taken away and the credit company is called and the guy starts ranting about not being happy that his card has been taken off the shop floor, we explain that we are on hold with the card company and he will just have to wait and he says he doesnt want the shoes anymore he wants his card and to leave.

He then leaves. Without his card he just leaves the shop. 10 minutes later he comes back and skulks around and then leaves again, he proceeded to leave the store and return again about 4 times before his card is returned and he then storms out of the store - never did find out if there was anything wrong with the card or not :s-smilie:

I was also working on the changing rooms and as most stores do, we count the amount of items and then you give you a corresponding ticket. The number of people that just walked straight past me like I didn't even exist was starting to get annoying by the end of the day.

The funniest thing that happened all day though was a foreign teenager came over to the changing rooms with a pair of jeans and asked 'are these my size?' :facepalm:
Reply 203
Only a couple of new ones this week:

"Are you paying by cash or card?" - "Yes!"

The usual people ignoring our announcements and walking around 20 minutes after closing...

Will try and think off some more!
Reply 204
Princesschickenbelly
I work at River Island and we are having a sale at the moment. A foreign guy comes in on the first day of the non clothing sale (shoes, accessories, bags) and buys 10 pairs of shoes. Later in the day he comes back and buys another 9 pairs of shoes. 19 pairs of shoes in one day! :eek:

Anyway two days later we launch our clothing sale and half way through the day he comes in and goes to buy another 10 pairs of shoes, both times before he has paid with a credit card and today is no different only this time it flashes up on screen to ring the credit card company (obviously nearly 30 pairs of shoes in 2 days is a little suspicious behaviour) so the card is taken away and the credit company is called and the guy starts ranting about not being happy that his card has been taken off the shop floor, we explain that we are on hold with the card company and he will just have to wait and he says he doesnt want the shoes anymore he wants his card and to leave.

He then leaves. Without his card he just leaves the shop. 10 minutes later he comes back and skulks around and then leaves again, he proceeded to leave the store and return again about 4 times before his card is returned and he then storms out of the store - never did find out if there was anything wrong with the card or not :s-smilie:

I was also working on the changing rooms and as most stores do, we count the amount of items and then you give you a corresponding ticket. The number of people that just walked straight past me like I didn't even exist was starting to get annoying by the end of the day.

The funniest thing that happened all day though was a foreign teenager came over to the changing rooms with a pair of jeans and asked 'are these my size?' :facepalm:

Oh how I hate the card authorisation thing. The bloody message popped up on one of the tills yesterday right on closing time. Luckily the customer offered to pay on another card so we didn't have to bother, but it will most likely ask to call for authorisation again next time she uses it.
A few weeks back we had a problem with the system so the chip and pin thing wouldn't connect to whatever it connects to and it was asking us to call up for authorisation on every single payment. We soon discovered the same authorisation code would work more than once, so we typed the same code in every time.

Also have people ignore staff on the changing rooms. We obviously just get paid to stand there and look good :rolleyes: And then there's the limit of items they can take into the changing rooms,
'I'm afraid you can only take in 4 at a time'
'Oh, I have 6 items'
'You'll have to leave 2 here and swap them later'
'Can't I take them all in?'
Oh of course, I just like to stand here and piss you around just for fun.
And the people that don't bother bringing the items back out, 'Err, you took 4 in, where are the others?' 'Oh you want me to bring them out?' Or they bring the items but not the hangers and just dump the items with us, with nothing to hang them with. Or even leave the number disc.
I've even had people question what the numbered disc is for, after asking how many items they have, and giving them a disc with that same number on 'What do I need this for?'
It's amazing how much common sense some people lack. We are there to do a job, they could at least help us out a little.
hobo06

And the people that don't bother bringing the items back out, 'Err, you took 4 in, where are the others?' 'Oh you want me to bring them out?' Or they bring the items but not the hangers and just dump the items with us, with nothing to hang them with. Or even leave the number disc.

Oh my god I know! We're having a sale, we are really busy, i've got people queuing for the changing rooms and you bring out your clothes with no hangers and make me go into the cubicle and collect them all off the floor and have to stand there with an arm full of clothes trying to put then back on hangers whilst trying to count the number of items the next person has, give out disks and take clothes and disks from other people all at the same time because it's too damn hard for you to put them back on hangers!! :mad:
I like to think that I can be an annoying staff member. If you try to give off the pleasant impression and people seem to recoil and scowl, you turn up the 'nice' to a ridiculous level. It's a fun way to mess with people.

I work on a fresh foods counter, so I have the different uniform on - apron, hat, the full shabang. Doesn't stop people asking me for obscure things though - I can understand people asking me for things like milk (they're right beside the counter) but I've been asked for things like computers and engine oil before. Nothing left for it but to pad them off on somebody else. I do think that it's because the counter doesn't move, it makes us easy targets to grab the attention of.

Another one I have (especially on the fish counter) is when people look like they're going to buy something just long enough for you to make your way over, get the gloves on et cetera, and then suddenly decide that it's not for them. It's an attention thing.

And the people that come with trolleys full of reductions when the prices are coming down. Just because they can have your undivided attention.

But still, we'd better be careful with what we say. A colleague of mine brought in an article which outlined this sort of thing - a lot of people got in trouble over Facebook comments, apparently.
Reply 207
Entangled
But still, we'd better be careful with what we say. A colleague of mine brought in an article which outlined this sort of thing - a lot of people got in trouble over Facebook comments, apparently.

Most people I work with (including myself) are actually friends with most of the managers on Facebook, and they complain about customers just as much as we do. Hell, I even complain about the store manager to his face. Anywhere else I'd probably be sacked the way I talk to him, but he's so laid back, he gives it back just as good, it's all for a laugh (well most of the time).
There are some people who don't get his sarcastic sense of humour though, and will take him seriously all the time and aren't too keen on him because of that. But my humours pretty much the same so I picked up on it pretty quick.
I'm convinced people were hiding in the shop after close tonight... as soon as I thought we had everyone out, another one would pop up with his bottle of milk or whatever. This happened four times, and it's not a big shop!
Laurah5498
I'm on lobby in McDonalds and some of the stuff is priceless.

Every Saturday at 7:30 the same woman comes in and orders a Filet of Fish. Every Saturday after she has filled her face she complains that the fish is dry and that she is never coming back.

A customer complained about me because I told her I was airing the mops because they're lonely. When a section is blocked off with two high chairs, a wet floor sign, the mop bucket and the dry mop you'd think that they'd notice that I was closing off a section.

In the 6 weeks I've worked there, I've had to clean poo out of the same urinal twice ¬¬

Do you work as a crew member or a customer service assistant?
Personally I think lobby is by far the worst out of all the roles in mcd (I work in lobby). Awful, awful job.
Reply 210
People who are unable to read.... i've not just put wet floor signs up for a bit of decoration, it means i've mopped the floor and tbh quite honest i dont care if you are ok with walking on the wet floor because i'm not ive spent 15mins mopping it :mad:

Also people who come 29mins past (we close at half past) and order a load of food or take their times to order what they want!
Toxic Tears
Do you work as a crew member or a customer service assistant?
Personally I think lobby is by far the worst out of all the roles in mcd (I work in lobby). Awful, awful job.

Customer service assistant or whatever its called. Its pretty crap but the people I work with are sound :smile:

A lot of the Crew Members come and help us out if we're stupidly busy or down on people. They're usually dead after 10 minutes xD
Laurah5498
Customer service assistant or whatever its called. Its pretty crap but the people I work with are sound :smile:

A lot of the Crew Members come and help us out if we're stupidly busy or down on people. They're usually dead after 10 minutes xD

I'm a crew member but I still have to do all of the stuff a customer care assitant does even though I only have the basic £4.80 pay. I have to mop the toilet floors including vomit :frown: , check the toilets, change loo roll etc. whilst the customer care manager leaves me to do all the lobby work myself including at the busiest times :mad:
Toxic Tears
I'm a crew member but I still have to do all of the stuff a customer care assitant does even though I only have the basic £4.80 pay. I have to mop the toilet floors including vomit :frown: , check the toilets, change loo roll etc. whilst the customer care manager leaves me to do all the lobby work myself including at the busiest times :mad:

I work in a ridiculously busy one and on Saturday's we usually have between 6 and 8 people out on lobby. I had to clean a sicky diarrhoea infested toilet on Saturday.

Walking/falling out of there was not my finest moment. I was rather red from holding my breath and managed to slip and fall over the wet floor sign. I got a rather weird look from a customer who was waiting to use it xD
People that won't go when we're closed!!!

What dick head comes to buy a child seat for their car and expect to have it safety checked and fitted in the 5 minutes before closing time? Then continue to look round the store at a ******* snails pace for something they need ''really bad.'' If it was up to me I'd have told them to come back tomorrow, but oh no, it's decided that we all have to stay until the seats have been checked, fitted and paid for :hmmm:

MEANWHILE! Another customer, who managed to slip in while I was getting the keys to put the doors on one way, asked me if I'd sell her a £90 sat nav for £75. Oh yeah I'm sure Head Office and my manager would absolutely love that, she was a proper little gob-***** as well. You've got £75, if you want to know how to go somewhere, buy a bloody street map for a tenner.
Reply 215
Entangled
Another one I have (especially on the fish counter) is when people look like they're going to buy something just long enough for you to make your way over, get the gloves on et cetera, and then suddenly decide that it's not for them. It's an attention thing.

This used to annoy the hell out of me when I worked on counters in Tesco! Do they not realise that there's stuff to be done other than serving customers who don't even want served!!
Reply 216
Does anybody here at their work use a lottery machine?? I work at WHSmith, and the customers can be so annoying! "Can I have a lucky dip?" For What Game? There are 6 different games!! Which Night(s)?? Also, customers will come up with playslips, which are ripped, folded and faded, and expect the machine to read them. If it doesn't, they then expect me to process every line and slip manually, instead of taking 30 seconds to re-write the slip!! The queue for the lottery is seperate from the rest of the shop, so people queue in the wrong queue, and think they can skip to the front of the correct queue. Signs are clearly posted!! It is the most frustrating part of my job!!
Reply 217
Our sale started Wednesday. No doubt I will have a lot to complain about by the end of the weekend.
Good news is I'm on a later shift because we are open for an extra 2 hours later tomorrow, but it is always dead when we stay open late, so it's just the first 5 hours I have to worry about.
NathanM
This used to annoy the hell out of me when I worked on counters in Tesco! Do they not realise that there's stuff to be done other than serving customers who don't even want served!!

Any chance that was in the 'Deen? And, if so, Danestone?
Reply 219
I hate it when customers ask the same question 20 million times..

convo with one customer today:
Lady: Hi, what muffins do you have left?
Me: We have chocolate, almond, polka and blueberry.
Lady: Any maple and pecan?
Me: No, im afraid we have sold out of them.
Lady: Whats the one with icing sugar?
Me: Almond.
Lady: Oh and whats the ones with icing on?
Me: Polka
Lady: Whats is it?
Me: *explains muffins*
Lady: What ones do you have left again?

This continued for about 5 mins and i was beginning to lose my patience especially since it was last 20mins of the day... she then changed her mind about the drink so i have to refund and recharge it.

I hate when people don't listen to what we say, makes our job so much harder.

Latest

Trending

Trending