The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ha we have a plastic bag levy, plastic bags cost 22cent. Grocery downstairs deal with plstic bags, but in drapery we generally only get a few plastic bags and the rest are paper. So if the customer is lucky enough to get a plastic bag because they're so rare on the drapery floor, half of them will piss and moan about the 22cent. Eh, first of all 90% of these moaners ARE Irish and therefore should be aware of something that's been in place for years. Second of all, the retailer is NOT profiting- it's a GOVERNMENT TAX, we're not ripping you off.

Does anyone have Spanish students wrecking the store/annoying everyone in it? The way the queue at the ladieswear tills work is that when walking from the direction they always come in (ie. charging up the floor) they cannot fail to notice the queue forming. Without fail, they will ignore the barrier with the queue and come right up to the till where I'm serving someone else and before the other person is even done they shove their stuff at me. Piss off! First of all, don't be such an ignorant prick. Second, don't look at me like I've two hads because I pointed out the REALLY long queue you for some reason thought you could bypass. They ALL do this. We had delightful ones on Sunday, about 6 or so, who each tried on about 10 hoodies each and flung them over the units when done, while also leaving bags everywhere obstructing everyone else. The mess was unreal! Security wouldn't throw them out because it doesn't come under a throw-outable offence. Well it should!
hobo06
But the idea is to get as many people recycling as possible. It's the long term effect people are worried about, not the short term effect based on one person.
And what I meant about buying bags in bulk, when you consider the amount of customers served in one day, and add up the number of bags wasted each day, those numbers soon add up very quickly. I don't know of exact numbers, but I'm sure if someone did the maths, the amount of money that could be saved per year if bags weren't wasted would be surprisingly high. In large companies, it would look as though it barely makes a dent in their profits, but then take into consideration money wasted in other areas (which I'm sure most places are also working on to cut down), that money could be much better spent. It's the long term effects that really make the difference.
As for delicate items, where I work we used to have to wrap things in bags, but our store has now started ordering in recycled tissue paper to use. It does the job a lot better, and also goes much further compared to bags. A great money saver.

I have to agree, you make some good points.

In this day everyone is encouraged to recycle and reuse be it from recycling wine bottles and tin cans to recycling newspapers, clothing and last but not least carrier bags.

The Sainsburys near my house does not keep carrier bags on display at the checkout only the 10p bag for life ones. If you want a free normal carrier bag you have to ask for one and even then your not given the pile to help yourself you are handed just a couple.

I can understand why the company do this, not only will it help the environment but it will mean they have to buy less bags in. and in doing this the customers know that the bags are not freely available anymore so they will have to start taking their own.

Some customers are very good and take their own bags or will put items into bags they already have.

I would never go to a shop and buy 10 items and put them into 10 individual bags as it's just ******* stupid. and if they were charging 5p a bag I would certainly not act in that way.
We have our fair share of customers that don't wabt to Leave and when you are on checkouts you have to wait for everyone to go before we can cash up, but there is people who insist on coming in 5 minutes before we close and decide to do their weekly shop it is really annoying, o whn your on fresh foods and need to put the blinds down they insist on putting them back up to get there shopping and when you tell them we need to put the blinds down as te shop is closing they ignore us and carry on it is really annoying
Cyril*Sneer

Do you ever hear yourself apologising for things that are really not your fault? I used to do it all the time and I'd think why are you sorry you don't make the rules? You have to stand on the front line saying I'm sorry about that when you don't a **** at all.

I know all about this one 'yes, i'm terrible sorry that the coffee is 20p more expensive here than at Tesco', and 'I'm very sorry that we have decided to charge for the bags, but we have'... they seem to assume that the person behind the tills makes all the decisions, including pricing, stock lines and opening times. Not someone at head office at all....:rolleyes:
Teao the Cat
I know all about this one 'yes, i'm terrible sorry that the coffee is 20p more expensive here than at Tesco', and 'I'm very sorry that we have decided to charge for the bags, but we have'... they seem to assume that the person behind the tills makes all the decisions, including pricing, stock lines and opening times. Not someone at head office at all....:rolleyes:

i hate that we onl y had the small plastic bags on the till on Monday and heybkeot moaning and all I could do was tell them were sorry we only have these ones there but I was thinking if you want to buy mote shoppig hen will fit in a small one don't go to the f ing cigarette confer go to a till with a conveyer, it really got on nerves,
Reply 265
I work in Superdrug.

Here's one, people who wait until you have scanned everything through and they have paid, and THEN, come back with the receipt and demend you refund the 10p difference on a bottle of mouthwash because the computer showed a different proce to the ticket.

Do they have any idea how much hassle they cause?
natjayne
I work in Superdrug.

Here's one, people who wait until you have scanned everything through and they have paid, and THEN, come back with the receipt and demend you refund the 10p difference on a bottle of mouthwash because the computer showed a different proce to the ticket.

Do they have any idea how much hassle they cause?

the only thing is though it happens all the time in superdrug, but then i say at the till, he only thing is, if i was told that in waitrose i would be utterly clueless (unless it was something in fresh that i knew) and wouldn't know what to do so i understand your annoyance .

the thing i hate about customers is when you are trying to put out something and the insist on leaving there trolley right in the way so you cant get to it.
I work in M&S foodhall and for the 100 customers I get I'd say 10 are rude and disgusting.

I previously worked in a Boots store and got peed off the customers there, I was seriously shocked when I met the M&S customers they want it all, on a plate presented to them with 18 crt gold cutlery.

I must say that a lot of my customers are fine most of which are polite, say please and thank you. I get others who when I say hello ignore me, throw a scrunched up carrier bag in my face, expect me to pack with no asking, shout at me because I packed not to their standard, throw their cash down on the packing area so I have to pick the money up, all the time I had my hand out waiting, they scowl and treat me like I'm something they stood on. Never say thank you or bye just walk off giving me a filthy look.

No wonder I find it hard to be enthusiastic. I am a polite person I say hello, I thank them for waiting and offer to pack their carrier bags. If they are unresponsive to that, I keep quiet and do my job.

I have a pet hate of people packing their own bags whilst holding their notes in their mouth, I am not being funny but I hate having to handle a 10 pound note complete with saliva, it's unhygienic and frankly disgusting.

Oh yeah and customers who tell me the deals. LASS THATS BUY 1 GET 1 FREE AND MAKE SURE I GET IT CAUSE I SEEN IT SO YOU BETTER LET ME HAVE THE DEAL. At that point I feel like charging them double, yes I know the deal, yes you know the deal, yes the till knows the deal, no need to harp on about it.

But last week it was 3 for 3 pound, unfortunately that was last week I am afraid the deal is no longer, cue well that is just not on, i have been a customer for years and every week you change the deals to rip us off, m&s are not like they were.

ARAGHGHGHH
Reply 268
Good to see this thread revived! I've not really had any annoying customers that stand out recently, just the usual stuff. Sale has just started though, so have a lot of people trying to return things without a receipt, claiming they bought it before the sale started. No receipt = exchange or refund vouchers at current till value. No matter how much you argue it with me.
I'm quite looking forward to the next few weeks though, working nights for the next week (hence I'm up so late tonight, getting into the system), back for 2 days, then off to a new store for 3 weeks to get it ready for opening. No customers!
I've had quite a few annoying customers lately! One that sticks in mind is a guy asked me for some children's jeans in a different size, so I went and checked the stock room, got them for him, brought them back down and gave them to him. He then gave them back to me and said 'yeah I want them'. So I took them over to the till, he followed me over, both our tills were being used so I placed them next to the one that was nearly done, so that he could be served next - which the manager on the till understood, and I went off to pick up all the shoes that were on the floor. As I'm walking over to the shoes, he shouts after me 'Oi you gonna serve me or what?' I turn around and say that both the tills are being used at the moment but he will be served next, and he throws the jeans down, shouts something along the lines of 'I ain't waiting' and walks off.

I just stood there, I looked over to the manager who said don't worry about it but I just couldn't believe it! Even the customers at the tills were saying how rude he was and what was his problem when he would have been served within a minute or so.

But then you get the really nice customers who are really grateful for you helping them. We had a sale a few weeks ago (and we were really busy!), and someone was looking for a swimming costume for their daughter - I knew there were some in the stockroom so went and got one for them. A few minutes later they came over to me again and said they were so sorry to bother me again but did we have any tights in a certain size, which we did, and they were rather happy that they had managed to get both things they needed in the first shop they went to, because of me :smile:.
I work in a pub/restaurant and I haven't had many idiots in lately but there was one guy last week, wearing a gold chain as thick as his neck, who started shouting and going mad because he thought we had got his steak order wrong. It turned out he had ordered the wrong sauce to go with his meal but refused to accept he was in the wrong. He shouted for about ten minutes before barging into the kitchen to demand his sauce and to threaten the chef unless someone put it right. I understand people getting annoyed if their meals are wrong, but I don't get the customers who get so irate about a £1.50 sauce.

The people sitting behind him felt so sorry for me and the other waiter they left us a £5 tip saying some people are "disgusting" :h:
Reply 271
Cyril*Sneer
I work in M&S foodhall and for the 100 customers I get I'd say 10 are rude and disgusting.

I previously worked in a Boots store and got peed off the customers there, I was seriously shocked when I met the M&S customers they want it all, on a plate presented to them with 18 crt gold cutlery.

I must say that a lot of my customers are fine most of which are polite, say please and thank you. I get others who when I say hello ignore me, throw a scrunched up carrier bag in my face, expect me to pack with no asking, shout at me because I packed not to their standard, throw their cash down on the packing area so I have to pick the money up, all the time I had my hand out waiting, they scowl and treat me like I'm something they stood on. Never say thank you or bye just walk off giving me a filthy look.

No wonder I find it hard to be enthusiastic. I am a polite person I say hello, I thank them for waiting and offer to pack their carrier bags. If they are unresponsive to that, I keep quiet and do my job.

I have a pet hate of people packing their own bags whilst holding their notes in their mouth, I am not being funny but I hate having to handle a 10 pound note complete with saliva, it's unhygienic and frankly disgusting.

Oh yeah and customers who tell me the deals. LASS THATS BUY 1 GET 1 FREE AND MAKE SURE I GET IT CAUSE I SEEN IT SO YOU BETTER LET ME HAVE THE DEAL. At that point I feel like charging them double, yes I know the deal, yes you know the deal, yes the till knows the deal, no need to harp on about it.

But last week it was 3 for 3 pound, unfortunately that was last week I am afraid the deal is no longer, cue well that is just not on, i have been a customer for years and every week you change the deals to rip us off, m&s are not like they were.

ARAGHGHGHH

I like the staff in M&S. They are better trained than alot of rival supermarket staff, might just be because I got the jobsworths though 8-) - I've only ever been in M&S a total of 5 times in my entire life.
Reply 272
Teao the Cat

A customer brought a jar of mayonaise on offer and sshouted at me "Your f***ing trying to scam me. You've put that bloody price tag on there trying to get more money off me" and kept making snide comments about me and my colleagues. The jar was something silly 10p off, but all the same, it was still his money that Sainsbury's shouldn't have.

After he started swearing at me, this is the first and only time I have nearly blown my lid with a customer. I turned around and said to him

"With all due respect sir, but I have no authority over who puts what where. I am not head office. They have told us to put that price tag on there. I am not personally responsible for the stock that goes out and gets priced up. Unless you apologise now to myself and my colleague, I will refuse to serve you on the ground that you are being aggressive towards us.".

I didn't raise my voice or speak aggressively towards him.

He asked for the manager at that point because I was being "cheeky". After explaining what had happened, the manager felt it was justified.
Its good to see this thread revived.
We have one regular customer who comes round drive thru every couple of weeks or so- who gets called nugget man (long story). He nearly always comes back to complain. 99% of the time he will come back to say something in his order is missing, even when 2 people (sometimes including a manager) have checked the order before giving it to him to make sure its all there. As we cant prove anything though we have to give him the part of the order that he says is missing. It has got to the point where the people on window 3 will put everything in the bag in front of him so he cant complain things are missing. As well as this he goes and litters the place (throwing stuff out his car window etc) for us to clean up. A couple of weeks ago though, he came back with a right mardy on. i cant remember what his problem was on this occasion but he got into a right strop and asked for a refund- the then had a rant about how he is sick of us lot etc. If he is that sick of us lot he can not bother coming again- at least we will be happy. After this occasion though, the manager who was there at the time said he would have words with him if he came and complained again while he was working.
Reply 274
Emma:-)
Its good to see this thread revived.
We have one regular customer who comes round drive thru every couple of weeks or so- who gets called nugget man (long story). He nearly always comes back to complain. 99% of the time he will come back to say something in his order is missing, even when 2 people (sometimes including a manager) have checked the order before giving it to him to make sure its all there. As we cant prove anything though we have to give him the part of the order that he says is missing. It has got to the point where the people on window 3 will put everything in the bag in front of him so he cant complain things are missing. As well as this he goes and litters the place (throwing stuff out his car window etc) for us to clean up. A couple of weeks ago though, he came back with a right mardy on. i cant remember what his problem was on this occasion but he got into a right strop and asked for a refund- the then had a rant about how he is sick of us lot etc. If he is that sick of us lot he can not bother coming again- at least we will be happy. After this occasion though, the manager who was there at the time said he would have words with him if he came and complained again while he was working.

The cheek! Does he really think people won't recognise him and cotton on that he is doing the same thing regularly? I'd say 2 employees checking the order vs one man's word is enough reason to tell him to **** off. Fair play packing it in front of him now.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks, one more day at my store, then Thursday I'm heading up to London to prepare a new store for opening next month. 17 nights in hotel paid for by the company, along with breakfast, dinner and all travel expenses. And best of all: no customers! :biggrin:
fudgestix
When I worked in a charity shop, we had lots of very awkward customer. People were always trying to get money knocked off items that were 50p! Or complaining that £2 for a second hand designer top was far to expensive and charities were getting greedy.

I've worked in one for 3 weeks and have already had this several times!
manx1991
Ha, I only got 18% or something ridiculas. I'd only just started (well I'd started a month before but had to take two weeks off for flu), and was still feeling rough so was standing by the heater. I got marked down for that. For not acknowledging her. For selling her two products that weren't supposed to be sold together (but when I asked other people who worked there, they didn't realise that either), and for not knowing about a service that had come out while I'd been off... I smiled throughout and apologised, saying she should come back later because I didn't know about it.

Now, six months later we got another one who got served by a girl who'd literally started that week, and the only reason we didn't get 0% was because one of the more experienced people came up and helped but we still got below 50%

I wanna know how much they get paid to torture us!

We get mystery customers too.
I have never actually served one but they have marked us down for stupid things before. We know we will get mystery customers at certain times (like between 12-2). Its a bit stupid as they are our busiest times and although we keep the queue moving as fast as we can, one of the things we can get marked down for is waiting for ages in a long queue (dont come at busy times then). Then when you think you can see a mystery customer in the queue the other customers automatically start acting like idiots e.g. getting a right mardy on about having to park up in the drive thru and standing there for 3 years deciding what they want, changing their order etc.
hobo06
Actually had a fairly quiet day today. But that didn't stop what customers we had from being *********. We stayed open 2 hours later, in that time there must have been only 5 or 6 customers. The final 2 still insisted on wandering the store 10 minutes past closing time!
I also subtly accused a customer of switching sale stickers on items, she gave me a dirty look, I think she understood what I was suggesting.
And then there's the one that made our day. The other guy who works on the customer service desk with me dealt with her first, I just overheard parts at first. But basically, she bought a top which she thought was half price last night, didn't realise at the time she paid full price. She then tried to return it today, to swap it for another size and get the money back which she claimed she was owed. She had taken the labels off and so had no proof that it was marked at half price. She then went to find a similar top labeled as half price, but it wasn't the same. So off she went again to find the actual one. When she came back my colleague was on a break so I dealt with her this time. She managed to find one of the same top with a half price sticker on, so I explained that as we still don't have the labels for the one we brought, the one she picked up had been accidentally labeled, so it is still not half price. At this point my colleague comes back, along with the rest of the tops he found on the shop floor, none of which were labeled at half price. Eventually she decides she just wants a full refund on the one she bought, rather than an exchange/half her money back. Then I realise, not only has she removed the price label, she has actually cut out the wash label and brand label, meaning it is not able to be resold, therefore, since there is no fault with it, it cannot be refunded. As if this woman wasn't pissed off enough. We then have a manager come down, who proceeds to say exactly the same thing I have just said to her. She then decides to come back later in the evening in the hope that the girl who served her last night is in (we knew she wasn't, but thought we'd let her waste her time anyway). So in she comes again later, again tries to get a refund (bearing in mind it is still both my colleague and I who had already spoken to her still working on customer services). Finally she accepts she can't get a refund, and decides that the girl who served her admitting she lied to her about the top being half price (this is new, she's not mentioned anything like this before) is more important to her than her money back. So we explain the girl works weekday evenings, and she decides she will be back Tuesday evening (when my colleague is also in) to speak to her.
The manager was then informed of this, my colleague is going to come in early Tuesday to forewarn the girl, and the manager is prepared to kick this woman out the store the moment she starts to verbally abuse any member of staff (she began to sound quite aggressive towards us today). I just wish I was in Tuesday evening to see how this ends.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

I had to smile when i read this. What actually did happen in the end.
Oh god, some people are sooooooooo annoying!! I work at sainsburys, and I had someone the other day who actually really annoyed me. A man and a woman came to my checkout, the man wandered off somewhere. They had alcohol (I'm 17 so have to get it authorised), so I buzzed for a supervisor and did the rest of their shopping. The superviser still wasn't here, so I told the woman I'm sorry Im just waiting for a superviser to authorise the alcohol. So she said ok fine, the man comes back and stood there for a min and then goes 'ER HELLO, WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?????????' how rude!!!!! I felt like slapping him lol. I had to politely explain again that I had to wait for authorisation...
Reply 279
Emma:-)
I had to smile when i read this. What actually did happen in the end.

Erm, I actually have no idea, it was a while ago now. Can't have been anything too exciting else I might remember.

I just got back from my 2 weeks in London. It's been great not having to deal with customers, though very tiring. 3 day weekend before going back to hell!

Latest