The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
Don't behave like you're 5 then.

Explain how I was?

I was merely pointing out a fact many people don't actually know considering all sterling in legal in Jersey. I wasn't being mean towards you or belittling you, sorry if it appeared that way but your comment back was far more childish than mine.
Original post by Juno
Jersey money is pounds sterling and thus should be accepted.

Whilst shops can refuse whatever they wish (refer to my previous comments about "legal tender") they should have a sign clearly displaying this.

Not an annoying customer, merely *****sh staff giving retail workers a bad name.

Lol, I think your actually wrong....

I work in a bookies in a city which has a lot of Irish folk. We see pretty much every sort of currency (scottish, irish and english mainly), and the ONLY note i've personally refused is a Jersey one. Some woman from a local pub once came in with £200 worth of Jersey notes and I remember them NOT saying "sterling" on them, so I refused.

In fact, wikipedia says this about the Jersey Pound; "Although the Jersey notes are not legal tender in the United Kingdom, creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose." Which obviously warrants you a point to argue, but the fact that they are not seen as legal tender in England = automatic refusal from my workplace!!! Do you know how much trouble we have to simply bank irish and scottish notes?!?!?! Post offices can be a bitch sometimes hahahaha

So I think your criticism may be wide of the mark here. I take irish, scottish and £50 notes usually without a blink of the eye in the place I work, and so declining Jersey notes was a big deal :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4722
Original post by Stevo112

I work in a bookies in a city which has a lot of Irish folk. We see pretty much every sort of currency (scottish, irish and english mainly), and the ONLY note i've personally refused is a Jersey one. Some woman from a local pub once came in with £200 worth of Jersey notes and I remember them NOT saying "sterling" on them, so I refused.

In fact, wikipedia says this about the Jersey Pound; "Although the Jersey notes are not legal tender in the United Kingdom, creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose."

So I think your criticism may be wide of the mark here. I take irish, scottish and £50 notes usually without a blink of the eye in the place I work, and so declining Jersey notes was a big deal :redface:

Do I care? No.

Are you right? Same.
Original post by Skip_Snip
This was five years ago and in a shop I left, and is now closed down, but still :wink:

I worked in Jessops, and this incredibly snobby woman walked up to the till point and said "Nikon D60, 40gb memory card, and extra battery", in a condescending tone, which you might say to a voice recognition machine -.- I was in a foul enough moood as it was, so just explained what everything she said was in simple terms, then went on tea break :P

It's annoying that a customer in a camera shop wants to buy a camera and associated accessories? :rolleyes:

In fact, wikipedia says this about the Jersey Pound; "Although the Jersey notes are not legal tender in the United Kingdom, creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose." Which obviously warrants you a point to argue, but the fact that they are not seen as legal tender in England = automatic refusal from my workplace!!! Do you know how much trouble we have to simply bank irish and scottish notes?!?!?! Post offices can be a bitch sometimes hahahaha

The only note that is legal tender is a Bank of England one. The concept of legal tender is immaterial where the issue at hand is not one of settling a debt.

I would be surprised if it wasn't Sterling, it would be pointless Jersey having its own currency.
Original post by TheSownRose
It's annoying that a customer in a camera shop wants to buy a camera and associated accessories? :rolleyes:

Noo, just the way she spoke, with no connectives or niceties :P
Original post by Juno
Do I care? No.

Are you right? Same.

I can imagine you coming into my work with your Jersey notes....

I would refuse to take them.....

You would ring customer services and make a complaint about the bad service you received from the staff......

And I would come onto tsr and make another post on the 'Annoying Customer' thread :biggrin:
Original post by Skip_Snip
Noo, just the way she spoke, with no connectives or niceties :P

Yeah, she could have at least said please, but some people have a condescending tone without actually being condescending. Someone I know who sounds exceptionally snobby and condescending is actually one of the nicest people around ... but you'd never realise if you'd just judged her on her voice alone. :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4728
I can imagine you coming into my work with your Jersey notes....

I would refuse to take them.....

You would ring customer services and make a complaint about the bad service you received from the staff......

And I would come onto tsr and make another post on the 'Annoying Customer' thread :biggrin:

And you'd still be wrong! Woohoo, let's all repeat our mistakes ad finitum.
Original post by Celtic_Anthony
The only note that is legal tender is a Bank of England one. The concept of legal tender is immaterial where the issue at hand is not one of settling a debt.

I would be surprised if it wasn't Sterling, it would be pointless Jersey having its own currency.

I'm very confident that it was NOT sterling for the simple reason that I declined to take them.

We trade in all sorts of currencies, I mean you could go into a bookies and pay in euros with no questions asked.... you could even probably pay with dollars... but the Jersey notes were alien to me, and it was some girl from a pub who was obviously trying to offload the notes because she knew that she couldn't bank them... I did a thorough check of the notes and couldn't find the words "sterling" so politely declined to take them.
Reply 4730
I'm very confident that it was NOT sterling for the simple reason that I declined to take them.

We trade in all sorts of currencies, I mean you could go into a bookies and pay in euros with no questions asked.... you could even probably pay with dollars... but the Jersey notes were alien to me, and it was some girl from a pub who was obviously trying to offload the notes because she knew that she couldn't bank them... I did a thorough check of the notes and couldn't find the words "sterling" so politely declined to take them.

The pound is the currency of Jersey. Jersey is in currency union with the United Kingdom, and the Jersey pound is not a separate currency but is an issue of banknotes and coins by the States of Jersey denominated in pound sterling, in a similar way to the banknotes issued in Scotland and Northern Ireland (see Banknotes of the pound sterling). It can be exchanged at par with other sterling coinage and notes (see also sterling zone).

:dontknow:

http://jersey.com/English/aboutjersey/practicalinformation/moneymatters/Pages/default.aspx

Perhaps your eye for detail isn't as great as you think.
Original post by Juno

Rather than just saying we are wrong, say why/explain your arguement further?
Reply 4733
Original post by TheSownRose
Yeah, she could have at least said please, but some people have a condescending tone without actually being condescending. Someone I know who sounds exceptionally snobby and condescending is actually one of the nicest people around ... but you'd never realise if you'd just judged her on her voice alone. :dontknow:

This happens all the time actually. Today for instance a lady came in, was incredibly dismissive and impolite and I was bracing myself for a telling off for, I don't know, breathing the wrong way or something.

Then when she paid and I gave her the bag she gave me a great big beaming warm smile and wished me a pleasant day.

I tend to just give everyone the benefit of the doubt these days.
when customers put their hand out impatiently whilst you count their change. Bitch please.
Reply 4735
Original post by clo-clo1
Rather than just saying we are wrong, say why/explain your arguement further?

Shall I do your homework for you too?
Original post by Juno

Have you ever accepted a Jersey note in the workplace? If so, was it easy to cash in the bank/post office?

Also, did it have the word "Sterling" on it?
Original post by Juno
Shall I do your homework for you too?

I assume you either can't be bothered or can't, so whats the point
Reply 4738
Original post by clo-clo1
I assume you either can't be bothered or can't, so whats the point

The point is, you're wrong.

Deal with it.
Original post by Juno
The point is, you're wrong.

Deal with it.

But why am I wrong?

Whilst my case was only a wiki link, it's more than you've given. 'You're wrong' isn't exactly a strong discussion.

Latest

Trending

Trending