The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stevo112
It is none of my business whilst in work!

Look, I teach kids in a school and like to think I am quite a nice guy...

But if I call the police here then I am representing the company and thus open up some legal issues, not to mention this waste of space bloke who will turn violent on me and possibly threaten to kill me (which happens in bookies!), not to mention that his daughter is OUTSIDE of the shop and thus not actually our problem.

It is a horrible place to work sometimes, and it is much much safer to simply stick to our legal obligations of refusing entry for under 18's. If some bloke wants to bring his daughter to the bookies then so be it, she can stand outside. Shame on the guy for being such a **** father. But it ain't my problem. I went out of my way to keep an eye on the poor girl, and quite frankly that is going above and beyond in a bookies. We don't get paid to babysit :tongue:

Sorry if this upsets you, but trust me a bookies can be a nasty place to work in. Any bloke who does this to their daughter is usually a pretty ****ty bloke and getting paid min wage =/= all the death threats.

my childminder took me to a bookies when i was 3 and i was allowed to stay inside, although i think this was after she'd argued with the guy at th desk
One of my fairly regular Saturday night customers has learn't my name.

I woudn't usually mind but since on Saturday nights I take my name badge off as soon I start, I do. She comes up to the front counter and constantly screams my name for 5 minutes. The other day she had the restauraunt chanting my name. Its embarasing and very difficult to cocentrate, so much so I let my manager sereve her whilst I had a 2 minute break.

I hate the fact that if I went on a night out she woudn't look twice at me.
Reply 4902
Original post by jelly1000
my childminder took me to a bookies when i was 3 and i was allowed to stay inside, although i think this was after she'd argued with the guy at th desk

I think the law might have changed recently, 'cause I remember going to the bookies with my Granda when I was wee. Either that or people just didn't care :tongue:
Original post by Harley
I think the law might have changed recently, 'cause I remember going to the bookies with my Granda when I was wee. Either that or people just didn't care :tongue:

yeah i was gonna say
I used to work in a shoe shop and we had this old woman who would always come in about 5.25 (we closed at half 5) and proceed to tell us about how her husband LOVED kitten heels and did we have any?

Bearing in mind this woman looked like no-one owned her it was pretty hilarious. She'd just wander in and all the assistants would dash for the stock room so you didn't have to put up with her haha
As a customer I saw annoying customers and shop staff today.

I was in O2 wanting a repalcement sim which would of taken a minute and 3 staff were on, this was at 5.02pm and a older couple were in front.

None of the staff even acknowledged me or the people in front then at 5:10 one staff member finished dealing with a customer(all were dealing with new contacts) then still blanks everyone and had a angry look on her face, walks past us then goes upstairs and about 2 minutes later walks out of door with her jacket on so she must of finished at 5 but didn't tell the customers.

The couple in front decide to go looking the phones whilst waiting so move out of queue and spend almost 10 minutes checking then come back as they notice the other staff member was finishing up dealing with someone and walk in front of me!!!!! Then when they get served they are getting a new contact phone so takes another 10 minutes and still no acknowledgement from either of the staff on.

Eventually I get served with no apology and when I said I wanted a replacement sim I was given an excuse about how they had to ring CS to authorise it and it was too late then quickly rushed out store.

What bad staff and customers!
Original post by drbluebox
As a customer I saw annoying customers and shop staff today.

I was in O2 wanting a repalcement sim which would of taken a minute and 3 staff were on, this was at 5.02pm and a older couple were in front.

None of the staff even acknowledged me or the people in front then at 5:10 one staff member finished dealing with a customer(all were dealing with new contacts) then still blanks everyone and had a angry look on her face, walks past us then goes upstairs and about 2 minutes later walks out of door with her jacket on so she must of finished at 5 but didn't tell the customers.

The couple in front decide to go looking the phones whilst waiting so move out of queue and spend almost 10 minutes checking then come back as they notice the other staff member was finishing up dealing with someone and walk in front of me!!!!! Then when they get served they are getting a new contact phone so takes another 10 minutes and still no acknowledgement from either of the staff on.

Eventually I get served with no apology and when I said I wanted a replacement sim I was given an excuse about how they had to ring CS to authorise it and it was too late then quickly rushed out store.

What bad staff and customers!

The first bit: surely she's allowed to leave the store without informing every customer?
The second: it's not an excuse...plus if you want the new sim to have your old number, you have to ring CS anyway? & They need to know why you need a new sim, if you're on contract, transfer details and stuff over etc etc.

It's not the staffs fault, they just follow procedure...and when a shop has to close, it has to close regardless of how long you've been waiting or why the customers are in there...
Original post by VickyTink
The first bit: surely she's allowed to leave the store without informing every customer?
The second: it's not an excuse...plus if you want the new sim to have your old number, you have to ring CS anyway? & They need to know why you need a new sim, if you're on contract, transfer details and stuff over etc etc.

It's not the staffs fault, they just follow procedure...and when a shop has to close, it has to close regardless of how long you've been waiting or why the customers are in there...

Theres was 2 customers in the store(the couple and myself so could say 3) apart from those getting served.

I had no issue with her leaving but just getting blanked and not knowing what was happening, when I worked in shops and even call centres it was courtesy to acknowledge a customer instead of just blanking them and vanishing, if I had walked towards her and she said "sorry I am off duty" that would be all it took.

As for sim card I was given a replacement over the counter in the past, it was just a case of getting a blank sim and me ringing cs with details which I would of done, it was a PAYG sim so similar for what I said about courtesy I would rather of been told before closing time.

And I think the law about closing time is a bit different than that, I went to Morrisons once in past just before closing as thought it was open to 10 and 3 other customers were in and left at 8.30 not realising it was closed but was still served and heard the staff say they cannot leave till all customers were served.

Either way I was treated badly and ignored and was horrible CS.
Original post by Harley

That explains why people get offended when I tell them their daughter has to go outside!

And yea it is illegal
Theres was 2 customers in the store(the couple and myself so could say 3) apart from those getting served.

I had no issue with her leaving but just getting blanked and not knowing what was happening, when I worked in shops and even call centres it was courtesy to acknowledge a customer instead of just blanking them and vanishing, if I had walked towards her and she said "sorry I am off duty" that would be all it took.

As for sim card I was given a replacement over the counter in the past, it was just a case of getting a blank sim and me ringing cs with details which I would of done, it was a PAYG sim so similar for what I said about courtesy I would rather of been told before closing time.

And I think the law about closing time is a bit different than that, I went to Morrisons once in phhhappast just before closing as thought it was open to 10 and 3 other customers were in and left at 8.30 not realising it was closed but was still served and heard the staff say they cannot leave till all customers were served.

The staff thing... Been there myself. You clock off at 5 or your waiting for your overdue break and you have customers who couldn't care less. They just want you to be served! That is why this particular member of staff didn't acknowledge you. Most people in retail will do it. I completely get why said stafg member would do this ubder the right circumstances.

As for the rest, yea it was a bit sucky. Best advice to be a bit more assertive in the future. School the old couple who cut in front of you! That just aint fair lol.
Original post by T'archer
One of my fairly regular Saturday night customers has learn't my name.

I woudn't usually mind but since on Saturday nights I take my name badge off as soon I start, I do. She comes up to the front counter and constantly screams my name for 5 minutes. The other day she had the restauraunt chanting my name. Its embarasing and very difficult to cocentrate, so much so I let my manager sereve her whilst I had a 2 minute break.

I hate the fact that if I went on a night out she woudn't look twice at me.

:eek:

That's super creepy... Poor you!
Original post by Livzien
I work at a WHSmith store in an airport, and as well as the usual mouthful (2p for plastic bag, 10p for reusable, any chocolate/sweets for £1.20) I also have to ask for their boarding card/destination.
The usual replies I get:

"Why?"
"Boarding card? To buy a NEWSPAPER?"
"They didn't ask us that in Boots!"
"If I tell you will I get it cheaper?"
"No, I'm not telling you, it's an invasion of my privacy."

The last one annoys me the most, all I have to do is press a button to say whether their destination is EU or non-EU, not exactly invading their privacy is it?

Why DO you need to do that, out of interest? I've never figured it out.
Original post by Livzien
I work at a WHSmith store in an airport, and as well as the usual mouthful (2p for plastic bag, 10p for reusable, any chocolate/sweets for £1.20) I also have to ask for their boarding card/destination.
The usual replies I get:

"Why?"
"Boarding card? To buy a NEWSPAPER?"
"They didn't ask us that in Boots!"
"If I tell you will I get it cheaper?"
"No, I'm not telling you, it's an invasion of my privacy."

The last one annoys me the most, all I have to do is press a button to say whether their destination is EU or non-EU, not exactly invading their privacy is it?

But why does WHSmith need to know this and what if it is someone else who works in the airport has come in for something?

And I think the law about closing time is a bit different than that, I went to Morrisons once in past just before closing as thought it was open to 10 and 3 other customers were in and left at 8.30 not realising it was closed but was still served and heard the staff say they cannot leave till all customers were served.

But from the sounds of it you did not do this so how could she. Besides as has been said, if you were due your break you wouldn't tell the next customer as more often than not they'ld get a bit annoyed at having to wait longer, in their opinion you should serve them and then go for your break.

It's why I never tell someone that Im just off for a toilet break, they would just order from me instead. I avoid eye-contact as much as possile as well so that they in theory they get less annoyed. I'm ignoring them, but at least I'm not looking at them directly and doing it which can be quite provocative.
Reply 4913
Original post by Bella_trixxx

Original post by SirMasterKey
But why does WHSmith need to know this and what if it is someone else who works in the airport has come in for something?

It's for VAT purposes - if you're going abroad then you don't have to pay VAT, if you're not then I think you do. And if you work at the airport then you'll have security ID to show.
I hate customers who come in and sit on a much bigger table than they need, so that when a big group comes in we have to move tables around to seat them. We put reserved signs on the bigger tables now to stop this happening but the customers have realised this and now we get groups of 2 or 3 asking if the 8-seater table is actually reserved even when there are 4-seater tables free.
Reply 4915
Tbf if the place isn't that empty I hate sitting at the small 2 seater tables etc, especially if it is tapas or somewhere like Nandos which has a large plate in the middle before you move the stuff on to your own plate. There just isn't enough space.
Original post by Mess.
Tbf if the place isn't that empty I hate sitting at the small 2 seater tables etc, especially if it is tapas or somewhere like Nandos which has a large plate in the middle before you move the stuff on to your own plate. There just isn't enough space.

We don't do tapas though, you'd only have a large plate in the middle with your own plates too if you ordered the sharer starter and had your mains out at the same time, and even then doubling the table size to a 4-seater is surely enough for 2 people? There's no need for groups of 2 or 3 to be on an 8-seater and I've yet to see one actually use up that amount of space, the most I've seen used is half with everything spread out so they'd be fine on a 4-seater.
Reply 4917
Original post by Bella_trixxx

I've been told it's for "Airport data trends". *shrugs*

Original post by SirMasterKey

I think only WHSmith ask because it's the busiest shop and has the most shops in the Airport (I think there's about 12?). Everyone who works at the Airport has to wear a pass around their neck so if I can see their pass I can bypass the EU/Non EU question. :]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4918
Not so much Annoying Customers, but Annoying Friends who seem to think that because they are my friends I can give them a discount, or even stuff for free!

The one(s) in question don't have jobs either, and therefore don't understand the seriousness of "just ringing in sick" when they have made a plan, or that you cannot just get ask for tomorrow off by asking your manager today. :s-smilie:

Edit: Just to clarify, I work in a Supermarket (and therefore some of the above may be true or typical of other establishments).
Reply 4919
Original post by DanD
Not so much Annoying Customers, but Annoying Friends who seem to think that because they are my friends I can give them a discount, or even stuff for free!

The one(s) in question don't have jobs either, and therefore don't understand the seriousness of "just ringing in sick" when they have made a plan, or that you cannot just get ask for tomorrow off by asking your manager today. :s-smilie:

Edit: Just to clarify, I work in a Supermarket (and therefore some of the above may be true or typical of other establishments).

Luckily mine have never asked for discounts (but then I work in an old peoples clothes shop so they wouldn't want anything from there :tongue:), but I've been asked if I can pull a sickie or ask for the very next day off before.

Even my mum does it sometimes...

Latest

Trending

Trending