The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5120
Me: "I'm sorry I can't give you your money back as you don't have your receipt."

What the customer apparently heard...

Me: "Go home and find your receipt, and if you do find it, bring it in whenever you want and I'll completely disregard the 28 days policy that's printed on the receipt and in giant letters on the wall behind my head, oh and don't worry if it's covered in bits of fluff and some strange red blobs, we'll happily take it off your hands and destroy it. Yes yes, we're willing to do all of this for you, because you live 30 miles away!"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5121
Original post by noorul87
question about my cv, my first reference is the headteacher of my school, and I want the second reference to be my p.e. teacher (head of faculty), so what do I go ask him and what do I write on my cv?

you appear to be in the wrong thread.
Reply 5122
Original post by nadiah
you appear to be in the wrong thread.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5123
Original post by emilym94
Had a bit of an ordeal yesterday at work :p:

As i did so, everyone in the queue was staring at me, and one woman who was being served decided to have a right bitch at me telling me i shouldn't have left her alone on the till (i understood this, but it wasn't my responsibility at the time to come out and help, it was the other woman's!)

What you need to do is learn to just shut up and listen. Or pretend to listen if you don't want to actually listen. Then when they are done ranting, say thanks for your input - then go and report your colleague who should have gotten off their backside and sorted it out.

Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
I work part time in a pub. Last week, a woman asked me to peel the skin from her jacket potato for her, just after I brought out the plate. I told her I would take it back to the kitchen, she said 'No, no, you can do it here, but don't use your fingers, that's disgusting, and keep the skin intact.' I had to use her fork and knife to peel the skin from her jacket potato while she stared on.

She left no tip.

You are crazy for doing this. You don't have to and you should have told her to go and ****.

Original post by Stevo112

"oh can I have a fries, a big mac burger *I ask would you like a meal instead* oh no thanks just the burger and fries. The kid will have a cheeseburger too, and what are you having Jen? Ok a quarter pounder too and fries with that. Hey kid, do you want fries? Yea ok add a children's fries too. *hears a voice from the woman, "we should probably get some drinks"... LE SIGH!*. Ok ill have a regular coke, the kid will have a coke and a coffee please...

Don't know why you bothered, that's not how they asked for it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ufo2012

Don't know why you bothered, that's not how they asked for it :smile:

Yes but it is nice to give something back to the customers once in a while :tongue:
Original post by ufo2012
What you need to do is learn to just shut up and listen. Or pretend to listen if you don't want to actually listen. Then when they are done ranting, say thanks for your input - then go and report your colleague who should have gotten off their backside and sorted it out.

Yeah I did do that in the end. Frustrating though.
Anyone get annoyed when theres a kid misbehaving and their mum says something like, 'if you dont shut up that lady will take your ball off you'?

I'm not going to do anything, and I always feel like telling the parent that. I know kids can be annoying but using someone else as a threat is just wrong, and really awkward for me!
Original post by MissLightyear
Anyone get annoyed when theres a kid misbehaving and their mum says something like, 'if you dont shut up that lady will take your ball off you'?

I'm not going to do anything, and I always feel like telling the parent that. I know kids can be annoying but using someone else as a threat is just wrong, and really awkward for me!

you'd take a ball off a child? Cold-hearted bitch :tongue:

I don't mind so much, but then usually it's something where I do have power i.e. 'If you don't behave that lady will not let you in to see Aladdin!' which is kind of true. I usually play along and say 'Jafar really hates children who don't behave. He'll come and steal you away!' and they shut up and boo all the harder when he's on stage.

But saying you'll take their ball/whatever is different.
Customers who feel the need to chant my name at me.

Customers who destroy the makeshift barricade to get to the toilet and look confused when we tell them that the toilets in question are shut and they should use others instead.

Customers who tell me how much they feel sorry for me working the shifts I work and then proceed to leave a massive mess where they were sat.

'Would you like that as a meal'. No thanks 'ok then, anything else?' Yeh i'll have some fries and a coke :angry:

I would.

stupid brats

I think there's a queue of children in my town that think Im some horrible person :tongue:

Original post by skunky x
I don't mind so much, but then usually it's something where I do have power i.e. 'If you don't behave that lady will not let you in to see Aladdin!' which is kind of true. I usually play along and say 'Jafar really hates children who don't behave. He'll come and steal you away!' and they shut up and boo all the harder when he's on stage.

But saying you'll take their ball/whatever is different.

I dont mind if the kid is just excited or something and the parents say it in a jokey way, its when theyre actually shouting at them and make me seem like the evil one that it annoys me.
I dont mind if the kid is just excited or something and the parents say it in a jokey way, its when theyre actually shouting at them and make me seem like the evil one that it annoys me.

Definitely, I've seen that too in my Mum's shop. She sells expensive model railways and people often bring their children in thinking it's a toy shop and then get really arsey when she says that their children shouldn't touch.

Nah, it's generally a screaming kid and the mum "That man over there is laughing at you..." I have a totally straight face and usually blame the mum for the non-stop screaming kids, of which I see quite a few!! :tongue:
Original post by skunky x
Definitely, I've seen that too in my Mum's shop. She sells expensive model railways and people often bring their children in thinking it's a toy shop and then get really arsey when she says that their children shouldn't touch.

Arsey? Tchuh. I asked a 6-year old kid the other day not to play on a pallette which had these heavy 6-pack UHT milks on; had he knocked one, which he was liable to do, it could have seriously hurt him.

I politely asked him to get off the pallette, with no rudeness, or anger, or bossiness, or anything; yet his family glared pure daggers at me. I mean, basic H&S; had one of them actually fallen and I done nothing, I'd have been the one to get it in the neck of course!! Despite the fact it was bad parenting too; they should be keeping better control of their kids!! Honestly!! I can't win. :rolleyes: Some people are such scum. That incident made me sooo annoyed. :angry:
Reply 5135
Original post by simonbellringer
Arsey? Tchuh. I asked a 6-year old kid the other day not to play on a pallette which had these heavy 6-pack UHT milks on; had he knocked one, which he was liable to do, it could have seriously hurt him.

I politely asked him to get off the pallette, with no rudeness, or anger, or bossiness, or anything; yet his family glared pure daggers at me. I mean, basic H&S; had one of them actually fallen and I done nothing, I'd have been the one to get it in the neck of course!! Despite the fact it was bad parenting too; they should be keeping better control of their kids!! Honestly!! I can't win. :rolleyes: Some people are such scum. That incident made me sooo annoyed. :angry:

I wouldn't go as far to call someone scum but I do get a lot of irritating parents in :frown: Like the day I'd just finished cleaning the glass cabinets beautifully, and with five minutes to closing a woman came in with a little boy who'd eaten ice cream and raspberry sauce and it was all over his face and hands. He started pointing through the glass and his mum giggled and said "Sweetie, don't mess up the nice shiny glass!" The wee boy started laughing and smeared his hands over EVERY SINGLE cabinet, at one point running up and down the row of cabinets putting ice cream everywhere, while the mum just laughed, even though she could see me with glass cleaner and blue roll finishing off the last cabinet.

The mum even had the cheek to ask for a napkin to clean his face as they were leaving :/!
Reply 5136

Just look at the kid and smile nicely, they will know you are on their side and you will get one up on the parent :colondollar:
Original post by conway!
I wouldn't go as far to call someone scum but I do get a lot of irritating parents in :frown: Like the day I'd just finished cleaning the glass cabinets beautifully, and with five minutes to closing a woman came in with a little boy who'd eaten ice cream and raspberry sauce and it was all over his face and hands. He started pointing through the glass and his mum giggled and said "Sweetie, don't mess up the nice shiny glass!" The wee boy started laughing and smeared his hands over EVERY SINGLE cabinet, at one point running up and down the row of cabinets putting ice cream everywhere, while the mum just laughed, even though she could see me with glass cleaner and blue roll finishing off the last cabinet.

The mum even had the cheek to ask for a napkin to clean his face as they were leaving :/!

I parents like this annoy me so much sometimes. I can understand that children are messy creatures by nature but don't bring them into shops when they're already in a state. It's not hard to wipe up his face quicly first. At least he didn't come in still eating it :smile:.
Original post by rosieee91
Yup I'm a waitress in a tearoom and 90% of our customers are about 70. They want you to kiss the ground they walk on and expect us to wait on their every single tiny need when they can quite clearly see that the tearoom is absolutely packed and they are not the only customers in there. Grr.

One old guy actually clicked his fingers at one of the waiters to get his attention...so he just walked past him. I hate how patronising and condescending some customers are. And the customer is always wrong. :mad:

/rant.

literally the same has happened to me! some old people are hilarious when you share small talk but a lot of the time they are very condescending!
Tournament Saturdays in a bookies.... :redface:

So at the end of the month we hold a free to enter tournament which anyone can play. It takes place Friday and Saturday. The highest score of the day wins £50 of gaming machine credit.

Today was tournament day!!!

Cue the likes of dennis the menace, the guy who walks round the whole of Liverpool visiting every single one of our shops just to play on the tournament game. He never bets, and he never comes in on any other day. JUST tournament day. Times dennis the menace by 20 and we have a party of bums! Ok admittedly some of them are nice blokes (dennis is actually nice and I chat to him every month but he is a scrounger lol).

Guys who rob other people's free tournament money (one scrounger did this for £50 by giving in a fake name and claiming the prize!).

Arrgh the couple with the scratch cards. I'm on my own serving like 5 people, and they blatantly abuse the "1 per customer per day" policy on this free scratch card promotion we have only because the manager says they could. Well I do not appreciate them standing there saying things like "you haven't loaded the free money on yet" on their FIFTH go when i'm rushed off my feet serving multiple people for the next race. Why don't they say "oh sorry, it looks like your busy, when you get a second can you do us a favour and load on this free money please?" :rolleyes:

The drunken git of age approximately 35. I helped him around 2pm to put on his placepots for the day and he thanked me greatly (woop at my customer service). Well, as the day progressed he got more and more drunk. It got to the point where he wanted every single bet writing out, even if i was busy! Then he wanted about a million free scratch cards (1 per person per day) despite already having 4! So he threatened to do me in (like a typical drunk, I mean this guy was actually relatively built but due to alcohol he was an easy take) because I said that we had ran out (We actually had ran out!). Oh and he said that his 17 year old girlfriend looked older than me, so I said that I looked prettier than her :colondollar: That didn't go down well either (although the girl did chuckle!).

The boxers who come in. They lose £5 on the machine and give it a good punch. Some guy punched the machine approximately 10 times. Tried to record it on phone to show ya's but couldn't find a decent hiding spot for the phone :colondollar:

The horse idiot. He comes up to the till with 4 betting slips all with different virtual horses on them. All 4 horses are in the same race! When he GIVES YOU the slips, the race is 3 seconds away from starting. This means you have time to take ONLY 1 bet! You thus have to reject the other 3. Customer kicks off. Not my fault :rolleyes:

Penny pinchers who give you a £1 bet and pay 97p for it. "oh i'll pay you the rest later" :rolleyes: yea right, and i'll screw the pope later :p:

(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending