The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stevo112

Spoiler

Very busy saturday, I'm on the dressing room, queue of 10 people, people coming in and out.
Customer asks for a size, I say ''give me two minutes, I'll grab a collegue to check for you''
.. Didn't have a chance to ring up for someone to come over, as it was so busy.
Customer pops her head out the cubicle - ''Alright take your time'' in a very rude manner
... So rude! Guess what I did... I took my time! And we didnt even have her size
Reply 5142
"DO YOU WORK HERE?!"

No. I am just kitted out in full Tesco gear because it's a fun thing to do.
Original post by Doofy
"DO YOU WORK HERE?!"

No. I am just kitted out in full Tesco gear because it's a fun thing to do.

I had this before ... I picked a few tops off a rail that the customer watched me bring out of the doors that say 'staff only' on them, grabbed a ladder from the wall and put the tops on the wall, reorganising as I did it. I know the guy was watching as I made eye contact knowing he wanted me. As I climbed down from the ladder in my uniform he looked at me and went 'errr, do you work here?' :facepalm:
I hate people who come in to your shop less than 5 minets before you close and start making a mess buying stuff leaving things in changing rooms ....
When I worked in a library:

Customer: Do you work here?

Me: No, I'm wearing this badge with 'Library' on in huge letters because it's my name...
When a customer defecated in the changing room recently, I took it as a sign from the universe that I should get out of retail...
Original post by roadkillzebra
When a customer defecated in the changing room recently, I took it as a sign from the universe that I should get out of retail...

I hope you didn't have to clean it up. You have to have special health and safety training (and equipment) to deal with human waste (i.e. it's not in the job description of a shop assistant).
Reply 5148
Original post by MissLightyear
I had this before ... I picked a few tops off a rail that the customer watched me bring out of the doors that say 'staff only' on them, grabbed a ladder from the wall and put the tops on the wall, reorganising as I did it. I know the guy was watching as I made eye contact knowing he wanted me. As I climbed down from the ladder in my uniform he looked at me and went 'errr, do you work here?' :facepalm:

I know. I had this exact situation merely a few days ago. Ahhh, customers.

I had a disgusting customer the other day, but shows how poor the company was in dealing with her attitude. Our changing rooms close at 8, and I have to sign the key in and lock them up.

This woman got her daughter to ask me if they could use them at 20 past 9 ish and I said in a polite way, "Sorry. They're closed I'm afraid." and she left. Little did I know I would soon face the wrath of her mother.

"Why aren't they open?"
"Sorry it's company policy."
"Well get the key."
"Sorry I can't open them, I don't have the authority to after closing time."
"Well go to security to get it."
"I can't change policy."
(You get the picture.)

She then goes to another employee and gives them the same treatment, so I go up to them and continue the conversation. Then because she's not getting her way, she complains to the duty manager about my attitude and points her fingers in my face. I snap back because no way should a shop assistant take a disgusting attitude from a customer.

In the end the woman got her way, and her daughter got to try on her beautiful F&F glittery jeans. :cool: hmm. The worst thing was her smirk as she came out and dumped the jeans and walked off.

Worst customer I've ever had.
I was a waiter once at a rugby club. The tables/chairs were about 10cm from the next and we had to squeeze through with piping hot plates which burnt through the gloves we wore, and deliver them to all the tables. A hugely fat man's coat fell on the floor as he got up, he sat back down and started shouting for me and clicking his fingers for me to pick it up when i had 3 plates in my hands. I delivered the food, had to go back to the table, pick the coat up and was given the coldest looks!
Doesn't sound that bad, but i was livid! Fat man knocks his coat off, fat man should pick it up.

WHAAA????

That's a tad grim.

I was going to make a big thing about the fact that I've seen so many man boobs this weekend due to the older, chubbier gentlemen not shutting the changing room doors all the way (they have a lock for god sake, so lock the door), but after seeing you post... well, I don't think I can really complain..
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
When I worked in a library:

Customer: Do you work here?

Me: No, I'm wearing this badge with 'Library' on in huge letters because it's my name...
I used to get that too, of course the two things in the customer's favour were that I didn't get a name badge until about 6 years into working there (from 10), and a few people said that I wasn't the type of person who they'd expect to be working in a library!
Original post by plimsolls
I hope you didn't have to clean it up. You have to have special health and safety training (and equipment) to deal with human waste (i.e. it's not in the job description of a shop assistant).

No they got a special cleaning team in, still pretty grim. We're all clutching onto the hope it was a child.
Reply 5153

They obviously had some issue with your company, I hope at least it relieved them of their problem issue!
Original post by ufo2012
Just look at the kid and smile nicely, they will know you are on their side and you will get one up on the parent :colondollar:

I used to work at Somerfield, and a parent came up to me to ask me to tell off her daughter. I politely refused, I wasn't prepared to go up to a (very young, about 4) child I didn't know and scold them.
At the weekend, i heard about a couple of strange customers.
One of them was this indian woman, who while ordering her food, asked if we sold pineapples (i work in mcdonalds).
The 2nd assistant (the manager below the store manager) also told us about a customer he had to deal with recently, who clearly thought she knew more about the management than us, even though we work there. She wanted a quarter pounder, that was fine. Then she wanted another quarter pounder, but didnt want the bun, she wanted the rest of the stuff though. Basically she would still have to pay for a quarter pounder, as even though she didnt want the bun, as she wanted everything else, just like any other grill order really. But she argued that she wasnt going to pay for a quarter pounder, and wanted it cheaper, and argued that x manager managed to let her have it for 30p (they had just put it through as a 30p extra hash brown). The 2nd assistant manager explained that he didnt know why the x manager had done that, as they shouldnt have, and he would have a word with that x manager as he was higher up than x manager, but in the meantime, they had to charge the normal price for the burger. She then started arguing that he wasnt higher up than x manager, and x manager apparently runs the place etc. Erm...no x manager doesnt run the place love, she is just a normal bog standard manager. The manager you are speaking to is the next one down from the store manager. He should have some idea what he is talking about.
the ones that come in at the end of the day, just as we're about to lock the doors, and then decide they want to try on every shoe in the store, make you run up and down the stairs a million times. Then say 'oh your closing'' as if they didnt notice, and then STILL continue wasting your time, and then finally decide that none of the shoes are no good.

Whilst you grit your teeth and say ''thank you'', when actually you want to scream at them for being so ignorant when you closed 20 minutes ago.

Yes, this happened to me today!! Grrrr
Original post by Emma:-)
At the weekend, i heard about a couple of strange customers.
One of them was this indian woman, who while ordering her food, asked if we sold pineapples (i work in mcdonalds)....

LOL so funny! Why did she think McDonalds sold pineapples? :rofl:
Original post by emilym94
LOL so funny! Why did she think McDonalds sold pineapples? :rofl:

Not got a clue.
I was backing up the girl who served her, and the girl who served her had to ask her twice to make sure she had heard right. I was lolling in the background.
Original post by Emma:-)

The 2nd assistant (the manager below the store manager) also told us about a customer he had to deal with recently, who clearly thought she knew more about the management than us, even though we work there. She wanted a quarter pounder, that was fine. Then she wanted another quarter pounder, but didnt want the bun, she wanted the rest of the stuff though. Basically she would still have to pay for a quarter pounder, as even though she didnt want the bun, as she wanted everything else, just like any other grill order really. But she argued that she wasnt going to pay for a quarter pounder, and wanted it cheaper, and argued that x manager managed to let her have it for 30p (they had just put it through as a 30p extra hash brown). The 2nd assistant manager explained that he didnt know why the x manager had done that, as they shouldnt have, and he would have a word with that x manager as he was higher up than x manager, but in the meantime, they had to charge the normal price for the burger. She then started arguing that he wasnt higher up than x manager, and x manager apparently runs the place etc. Erm...no x manager doesnt run the place love, she is just a normal bog standard manager. The manager you are speaking to is the next one down from the store manager. He should have some idea what he is talking about.

I've never understood people who do this. If we order from a takeaway and my brother has a cheeseburger, he has just the burger, cheese and bun. We have never asked them to knock money off the price.

Apparently, we have a customer who sometimes wees herself in the changing room.

I could understand the "do you work here" if like me, you're in plain clothes. But some volunteers do have tabards and the manager and assistant manager have name badges. However, for the most part, we do wear plain clothes.

Latest

Trending

Trending