The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Joseph90
I used to work in the catering at Pride Park on matchdays. There were some right ***** there. People at tables clicked fingers and shouted 'boy' if they wanted attention. They would also shout if food didn't come in about two minutes, even if it was out of my hands as the Chef hadn't finished preparing it due to being busy. They would also laugh and make jokes about people being useless, well in one incident when a coffee pot ran out so I had to change it. They made complaints about us waiters being 'cheeky' and 'rude'.

Derby supporters - no surprise there :p:
Reply 61
I work in a shoe shop and have experienced my fair share of rude customers, one man clicked his fingers at me when i was in the middle of dealing with another customer and then moaned that i took to long to come over to him.
Another man was wondering round holding reject shoes form his partner, i offered to take them from him he looked my up and down and then dumped them on the display and walked off.
It also annoys me when people pick shoes up wonder round the shop (relatively small) and then dump them or they pick a shoe up and put it down completly wrong!!
Also people who move the window display when there is a sign clearly stating not to touch the window display!
We also have mystery shoppers :frown: so have to be friendly
anyways i could go on!
I work in Gregg's.
This old bitch made me cry a few weeks ago. Asked for 2 sausage rolls, came to 1.12 and I thought she gave me 1.20 so I gave her 8p change. Then she literally just starts shouting about how she gave me 2 quid and how I'm trying to con her out of 80p, starts swearing at me right in front of a big queue and my co-workers. As if I'd deliberately try and con her outta 80p which wouldn't even be going into my pocket, stupid cow.
So I cried and got lots of sympathy and hugs from my bosses heh! :yes:

And of course we get the fair few junkies who come in with the munchies and you can't even understand what they're saying, so when you ask them to repeat what they said they just get angsty and start shouting at you.

Bad times.
Reply 63
Saturday; an old woman shouted at me because I didn't know how to measure a woman's shirt. I work in TJ Hughes, and I'm normally on the perfume counter but I was covering the main tills. I was like, "I haven't been trained for this!" and she was shouting random things at me, basically implying that I was an idiot because I didn't know how to measure a damn shirt. She complained to my supervisor about it, who promptly told her that most of the staff don't know how to measure a shirt, for we are not a tailor's, and that she had made me cry. She hadn't really, but her daughter apologised for her behaviour.

Ohh, and when customers open perfumes to smell when we have signs everywhere saying "Please don't open the perfumes, ask for a tester". Yet they STILL do it! And they look surprised when I ask them to stop. Some of them ignore me and carry on, which I hate. So I have to ask them again and again. A lot of our customers do not speak English however, and that proves to be a problem sometimes :frown:
Oh God, I work in Co-op, so I have so many of these!

- Customers who pay for something then say "hang on, that's supposed to be 2 for £3!!" So I go and check, and the sign they've seen is about 10 feet away on a lower shelf, for a completely different product, for like dog food when they've bought a packet of cereal. Then they get huffy and say "oh, well, I don't want it then!"

- Because it's only a small shop, when we get a delivery in, pretty much all the produce goes out, so when somebody comes in and says "have you got any cucumbers out the back?", I know for a fact there aren't any so i'll say "sorry, no" and they look at me suspiciously, as if they think i'm too lazy to go look, and ask if i'd go check anyway.

- When the price is wrong on something, I understand its annoying, but it's pretty clear that the 20 year old girl on the till isn't in charge of the pricing, so please don't have a go at me!

- Customers who say "10 Mayfair please", so you hand them 10 Mayfair and they look at you like you're retarded and say "Superking?" WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SUPERKING THEN?! I'M NOT PSYCHIC!!

- I know pretty much all the fruit and veg codes, but when i'm looking on the sheet for the odd one I don't, I hate customers that lean over and say with a sympathetic smile "that's a carrot :smile:" OH RLY? Do you think there's a button on my till that says "Carrot"?!

- People that wheel in a trolley at 9:56p.m. AAAARRRGH!!!

- People that don't have enough money!! Fair enough if you're a few pence short, but there's one woman who comes in about once a week, fills up a massive basket with about £30 of shopping, I scan it all, tell her the price, then goes "****. Really?! I only have a tenner" Then I have to scan things back one by one. And she always picks the cheapest things to put back. "So you've put the banana back, now it's £29.84"...

I'm sure i'll think of loads more!
Wow...I was almost looking forward to starting to look for a summer job
22KT22
we used to have a dunnes where i live it got replaced by matalan /random knowledge.

Yeah not that popular over there I'd imagine but it's an institution here, there's more than 100 in the ROI.
manx1991
I work in a Pharmacy, and because I've been there 7 months, and have to work with a couple of girls who only started last month, I offer to help them. However, when I finish their job (eg. Find a prescription after they've spent 10mins doing nothing) the customer shouts at me for wasting their time!

Does anyone also have to worry about mystery shoppers?!

Lol oh yes, I work at Millie's so we get a mystery shopper each month, I only got 86% last month because I didn't "acknowledge" the customer when they were waiting, how on earth did I serve them then?! WTF.

We get the same cross eyed weird lady coming every Saturday to buy an ice-cream, last week I was serving someone when she tried ordering something from me, I simply said "I'm busy serving someone" and she walked off stomping her feet and screaming lol! Threw a right paddy.
Mainly we get people moaning about the prices "99p for a biscuit?" No, it's a cookie love. Or constantly telling me that they shouldn't be eating them because they're on a diet, stop eating them then..
Then there's the people who moan that giant cookies take too long to make, trust me 1 and a half hours is JUST enough time, without having to serve more customers throughout.
Argh! The people that ask for freebies at the end of the day are the worst, it's so annoying, I can't just give them out or people will never buy anything and just wait until the end, I have to throw them away that's the way it is. Grr.
Reply 68
ThisBeatIsSick
Lol oh yes, I work at Millie's so we get a mystery shopper each month, I only got 86% last month because I didn't "acknowledge" the customer when they were waiting, how on earth did I serve them then?! WTF.

When we get mystery shoppers, they bring a little set of scales and take the cappuccinos into the toilets to weigh them. It's ridiculous.
Reply 69
frederizia
I work at a petrol station and I've had a man ask me how my sex life was. I was just like WTF? :confused:

I had that once. "Bet you've had a lot of sex!!!" Yeah cos that's TOTALLY relevent to your pint. Never mind the fact that I'm 19 and a good girl :yep: I ignored him after that until he and his annoying wife left.

I've got to the point now where I'll actually talk back. My manager completely doesn't mind so long as I'm not really rude.
I get really annoyed when i get a load of verbal abuse if i ask for ID or refuse an alcohol sale - this one guy tried to grab the vodka off me and then statred swearing, i actually thought he was going to smack me.

Also when people call me hen, honey, pet, darling, sweetie :| Oh and when the customer asks if I work here full time and i say I'm at school and waiting to go to uni, there is a total shock in their faces and they give you a bit more respect!
Yeah. Halfords.
In an obviously busy store moan and groan about me not serving you, despite you just coming into the store. Or you could just claim that you've been in the store for 30 minutes when the store opened 10 minutes ago.

In a week 2 different customers wanted to start a fight with me.

One guy (a couple years back now) wanted to start something because I put out a fire in the store, but didn't notify him. Even though he saw me run in the back and come out with a fire extinguisher.

People swear at you, are patronising.

Usually I give as good as I get. Sometimes I hold the tongue though.

Nuffles
Don't even get me STARTED on the people who buy a £100 bike and expect it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Every single component on that bike will be made in the cheapest possible way out of the cheapest materials and it's doubtful it would last more than 50-100 miles before needing some serious work. They come in abusing me for selling them a bad quality bike when they spent 'a lot of money' on it. It's hard not to laugh and tell them I that £100 would barely buy me a wheel of the quality I want for my bike. I could easily spend £500 on a wheelset.

I know the feeling man.
Saying that though, it's a good way to sell them up. I had a guy come in, he brought a *******, and it broke after 2 days. Managed to work him up to a Vulcan Disc Spec.
But some of them will not listen to reason, no matter what you tell them. Or how you explain that this bike should not be used for you 10 mile commute to work. It will not stand up to it.

Sakura-Chan
I've worked at Halfords since September 07 and I swear to god, I've never met so many egotistical, sexist and down right ******* rude people in my entire life.

People that refuse your help because you're a woman and you couldn't possibly know anything about car parts or stereo systems. The ones that see a male member of staff and say 'Oh don't worry about it love, I'll talk to this man instead' are the worst, *****!

There's so many people that swear and shout and have tantrums. One guy tried to return a Bluetooth headset that was sealed when I sold him it, that he'd had in his ear (and left ear wax all over) and tried to say it was open when I gave him it. After a good hour of him ranting and raving at me, calling me all the names under the sun, threatening me and another colleague, and shouting to other customers about me being a goth (yeah cause that's totally me :rolleyes:) my manager gave in and refunded him to £40. That's another thing I hate about where I work, people give in too easily. If I was the manager (I seriously wouldn't want to be) I wouldn't have! It was defiantly sealed when I sold it, it wasn't faulty and the company is -£40 because it being used and worn breaches the hygiene rule, and because the manager just couldn't grow a pair and say no.

Loads of people I work with don't give a **** either, then it's me that get's the brunt of the customer's rage because I work at the very front of the shop. People order parts for customers and don't confirm availability with the vender, then you get a situation like today where the customer has been told to collect a part that's still 60 miles away and won't get here until Thursday.

I swear I hate my job.

I hate the refund thing as well. It's so pathetic seeing the manager just give in all the damn time. Even though the person has clearly mistreated the product and has been reckless with it.
I get the same thing with people judging me. I get people judging me because i'm young, they think I can't fit. Or because of my race (someone told asked the guy that did fit their bulb if I knew how to do my job).
People who tell me what's sold in the shop. Like the guy who said that we sell flatscreen tv's and PC's.
Or when someone is obviously lying and say stuff like "Oh, I brought this last year, and it was £5". No, number plates have never been £5 in the 3 years that I've been here.

As a side note, I was in my uniform in B&Q. This woman in there was all "Don't rush to help me", the glee that I had when I said "Sorry, don't work here love". And the stupid look on her face. Priceless.
Reply 72
Omg, most of these are so similar to mine lol, I work in Tescos and well its an absolute nightmare most of the time.

Like last week on a Thursday at about 8pm onwards it got REALLY busy so while I was serving you can here these people talking about you saying "Oh look, hes sooooo slow, wish I hadn't got in this queue now!", I wouldn't mind but I was serving about 30 customers on average an hour, the target is like 10, my efficieny was also through the roof for that day. Also how dare people comment on me doing my job and acting like they can do it better than me, I for one feel tempted to look up, stare at them, point and say "You...you think you can do this better than me, well be my guest!" and just step aside and beckon them around, I would love to see the look on their face, but alas I'd probably get sacked lol.

Oh another one, like when I'm working until 10pm (Wed, Thurs, Fri) and I'll close my gate at about 9:55 so I can finish serving my current customer and take the money out of the till. It really annoys me when someone will come along, completely IGNORE the gate and try to start loading up on the belt, its like "Erm, I'm closing now, sorry" and the looks they give you or the snide comments like "Well its really busy where else am I meant to go", at times like that I feel like saying, "God if I know but I've just done a 9hr shift and don't you think I deserve a ******* break from work or something?!".

And finally you get the underage people or the drunks who try to buy alcohol and get all up in your face when you refuse to serve them, had that happen a couple of months ago, a new person on the till went to serve a young man who, in my eyes looked about 20, now we have a policy of 'Think 25' and well this person didn't fit but as it wasn't my till I couldn't comment, so another colleague who was walking by said "I hope you've id'd him?", now as this person serving was new he wasn't used to it and said "No" and proceeded to ask him for ID, the person gets all in his face saying "You've already taken my money so just give me my beer" however the cashier hadn't okayed the sale so technically could not put the money in the till, so he refuses it, bloke starts shouting so security come over and ask him to leave, starts shouting and saying "You've ruined my evening now you ******s". Now he walked away from the cashiers till and I pounced, as he was walking past me I cheerfully said "Enjoy your evening sir", I thought I was being polite but he turns around and starts hurling abuse at me, saying he'll punch my lights out and actually starts walking towards me, so I just stand up, bearing in mind I'm 6'4" tall and built like a brick ********* and this dude just goes pure white and turns around, and leaves EXTREMELY quickly, needless to say he got barred for life from all Tescos for abusing and threatening staff lol.

Sorry for the wall o' text!
Reply 73
chocoholic4
Yes, I work in a bridal shop and sometimes we have our fair share of bossy brides. I just tend to be really cheesy and smile a lot to annoy them more :smile:

I've heard from some of the customers you're a really awful assistant though.

Aren't you the one who turned up drunk?

I'm watching you.
rosie9391

Also when people call me hen, honey, pet, darling, sweetie :|

yeah I hate that...especially since I'M A GUY!:eek3:
Reply 75
XD on work experience in a hospital a woman got emotional and said she didn't order her food, was wailing and pushed the food away. Then tried to get a different meal! And another woman was off her tranquliers and totally panicked! And complained the neck thing was uncomfy lol
Reply 76
i work in whsmith and we have our fair share of knob jockeys. i dunno if you've ever experienced this, but in whsmith we're supposed to offer customers half price chocolate/sweets/haribo/whatever crap they have on offer (it is far more annoying for us than the customers, trust).
example: the other day a was serving a positively charming Australian lady, who compared my offering of half price haribo to the holocaust. "i know it's just your job, but that's what they said in the concentration camps."
mmhmm. i love my job.
i would also estimate that roughly twenty newspapers have been thrown at my face since i started working there. no lie. some old people just really hate to queue up.
Reply 77
hobo06
Returns policies.
People just assume that without a receipt they can just exchange or get a credit note with no questions asked. Wrong, I am going to challenge it. And if I do let you exchange it's only at the till value. Oh, look, it's £1, you definitely paid £15 for it? ********. First off, if you did, you would be well out of your 28 days for returning it, because if something will never go into a sale from £15 straight to £1 (or in cases where it's half price rather than £1, we haven't had a sale in the past 28 days). Secondly, you have no proof that you paid that amount. Some customers at this point will then magically produce a receipt proving they paid full price, which then also shows they are out of 28 days. Again, exchange at till value. We have a returns policy, if you fail to abide by it, you lose out.
Of course there is the Matalan card, which keeps track of everything you buy, so we can in fact look up how much you paid. I have had, on several occasions, a customer return something without a receipt, claiming they bought it only a couple of weeks ago. It comes up on the till at a £1, they swear they paid full price. After a lengthy argument about us not having had any price reductions recently so I am 99% sure they would have paid £1 if they bought it when they said they did, I look it up on their Matalan card. The customer then is very embarassed and apologies profusely when it pops up on my screen, that they did in fact pay only £1.

£1 clothes really? I need to shop at Matalan lol
Really old people who take ages to leave when we're trying to close the shop.
People who insist we're still open when we're not.
Fat/old people who smell really bad.
Drunk people who get angry when a product is out of stock.
I haaaaaaaaate customers.

OH and when they ask me to get something for them, and I'm not gone long but they wander off round the shop so I have to go looking for them and trying to remember what they look like.

And when they complain about prices or that we no longer sell a product, like I can do something about that? If they want to speak to a manager about it I can get them a manager!

x.fiore.x
- Because it's only a small shop, when we get a delivery in, pretty much all the produce goes out, so when somebody comes in and says "have you got any cucumbers out the back?", I know for a fact there aren't any so i'll say "sorry, no" and they look at me suspiciously, as if they think i'm too lazy to go look, and ask if i'd go check anyway.

Yes! I usually go and check for them anyway, or pretend to check, because if they think you've gone to all that trouble for them they are waaay less annoyed about us being out of stock. It also wastes some time. But I don't know how big they think our warehouse is that we'll have all this extra stock out there that isn't on shelves...
Sometimes I just want to murder them all. I can't be bothered reliving the stupid customers I've had, so this is all I will say on the matter.

(Except most customers are lovely, and I enjoy serving them. Even if I do want to tear my eyeballs out when the 859676940th person tells me they left their bags in the car and expects me to be amused at their gosh darned adorable absent mindedness).